Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

EPS discontinued their pcv breather kit, heres a video I found as alternative

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2021, 04:10 PM
bread
Registered Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by BULL
Which ports are you referring to?
the ones that go into the intake. would just attaching breathers work? does it NEED to go into it?

Last edited by BULL; 10-08-2021 at 08:24 PM.
Old 10-08-2021, 08:24 PM
BULL
Moderador

Received 735 Likes on 572 Posts
Yes, since a closed system is a "Metered air leak" the ECM is already compensating for the air the PCV is leaking and confirms it depending on how much air the breather is pulling. The breather sees both pressure and vacuum. If you want a closed properly working system the rear ports on the VC will need to go somewhere between the MAF and THROTTLE body.

Two of these just might work for you. Make a hole through the hose clamp and connect the barb via a hose to the breather. About $25 for both.
Old 10-08-2021, 08:31 PM
bread
Registered Member

Yes, since a closed system is a "Metered air leak" the ECM is already compensating for the air the PCV is leaking and confirms it depending on how much air the breather is pulling. The breather sees both pressure and vacuum. If you want a closed properly working system the rear ports on the VC will need to go somewhere between the MAF and THROTTLE body.

Two of these just might work for you. Make a hole through the hose clamp and connect the barb via a hose to the breather. About $25 for both.
how would i cut into a/the hose clamp, or u talkin about the coupler
Old 01-10-2022, 12:56 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 479 Likes on 401 Posts
@BULL , how is the 35HR PCV system different than the 37VHR? From diagrams, it looks like there's only one suction hose to the intake manifold (which tracks with the nipples on the G35 manifolds I have). Looks like there's a crossover hose from left to right bank valve cover that would normally be the second hose to intake manifold on the 37. But then it looks like there's a crossover hose from throttle body to throttle body, and only one valve cover to intake tube?
Old 01-10-2022, 02:05 PM
BULL
Moderador

Originally Posted by rotarymike
@BULL , how is the 35HR PCV system different than the 37VHR? From diagrams, it looks like there's only one suction hose to the intake manifold (which tracks with the nipples on the G35 manifolds I have). Looks like there's a crossover hose from left to right bank valve cover that would normally be the second hose to intake manifold on the 37. But then it looks like there's a crossover hose from throttle body to throttle body, and only one valve cover to intake tube?
HR There is only one PCV like it's ancestor the DE that goes into Bank 1 VC and uses the crossover tube for equalization.
Then it uses Bank 2 breather tube that feed into both intake pipes for fresh air feed.

VHR there 2 PCVs that handle the load of both banks

After looking at the new VHR system it makes you wonder if you'd have better results adapting this to the HR and DE variants in hopes of better control of PC gasses. All engines will benefit from running a closed loop system and I'm an advocate for it, the best you can do to upgrade any PCV system is to insert a gas/vapor catching can in between the PCV. If you're spewing fluids up your breather this might be a tell of engine life as it should not.
As sexy as it looks I'm not down for deleting but the VQ is a cranky engine. The DOHC and a wide one at that, this means placement of these valves will matter as the engine ages.
In my opinion the Valves should have been places by the intake cams since it's the highest point however at the same time real estate is limited which is what I believe the reason of placement.

After having to repair a broken breather port on my VHR stand I'm confident a better system can be engineered however it will require drilling and epoxying new fittings

Old 01-10-2022, 03:39 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

No need for epoxy when they make AN stuff like this: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/e...SABEgJdt_D_BwE
Old 01-10-2022, 04:00 PM
BULL
Moderador

Ohhhh Yessssssss

That would work fantastically!
Old 01-19-2022, 06:15 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Just getting back into this. My direct line of questioning is because I've got a G35 upper intake manifold (1 vac nipple, on the firewall side) vs the G37 dual nipples on front. Currently T'd at the back and hose run to the valve covers, and hose from valve covers to Z1 after-maf silicone (they have the small branch built in).

I'm guessing I'd need my catch cans on the yellow lines - that is, valve cover to intake tube; and that the valve cover to intake manifold line should stay the same.

Something else to engineer while having the G35 lower with G37 fuel rail on the bench making them work together, I guess.

Also, I'm guessing that Z1s newly introduced catch can system is much like mine, $100 in cans, with the addition of $350 of custom hose.
Old 01-21-2022, 10:54 AM
BULL
Moderador

So for the Motordyne style you can keep your breathers as the VHR has them and use a Y fitting to merge both PCVs and send a single hose towards the back.
Merging both PCVs in the back just takes space, space you could use to install your can.
Something like this should work.

Old 01-21-2022, 10:54 AM
BULL
Moderador

Here's the Y

Old 01-21-2022, 10:56 AM
bread
Registered Member

Just getting back into this. My direct line of questioning is because I've got a G35 upper intake manifold (1 vac nipple, on the firewall side) vs the G37 dual nipples on front. Currently T'd at the back and hose run to the valve covers, and hose from valve covers to Z1 after-maf silicone (they have the small branch built in).

I'm guessing I'd need my catch cans on the yellow lines - that is, valve cover to intake tube; and that the valve cover to intake manifold line should stay the same.

Something else to engineer while having the G35 lower with G37 fuel rail on the bench making them work together, I guess.

Also, I'm guessing that Z1s newly introduced catch can system is much like mine, $100 in cans, with the addition of $350 of custom hose.
z1s cans are gonna be the same as any other brand, just with the "z1" name. id recommend u look around
Old 01-21-2022, 11:07 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Originally Posted by bread
z1s cans are gonna be the same as any other brand, just with the "z1" name. id recommend u look around
Oh I have a pair of decent cans, I was comparing what I have vs what the Z1 kit has - and you're right the name, and some custom silicone it looks like. When I visited them we walked through the shop where they mock up custom lines to have them molded. Just... not $350 worth LOL.
The following users liked this post:
bread (01-21-2022)
Old 01-21-2022, 11:12 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

So for the Motordyne style you can keep your breathers as the VHR has them and use a Y fitting to merge both PCVs and send a single hose towards the back.
Merging both PCVs in the back just takes space, space you could use to install your can.
Something like this should work.
Now you have me confused - I thought the catch can went on the breather-valve cover(VC) lines, since the vac port in the manifold is so small it shouldn't suck much oil. Do I have that backwards? I thought oil was present more in the VC-intake pipe (although, now that you mention it, the air should *normally* flow pipe-VC-PCV-manifold... I think.)

Dammit, I need a VQ in the garage on a stand so I can engineer ****. I'm too fat/short to lay on my own car to see the back of the engine LOL...
The following users liked this post:
bread (01-21-2022)
Old 01-21-2022, 11:51 AM
bread
Registered Member

Now you have me confused - I thought the catch can went on the breather-valve cover(VC) lines, since the vac port in the manifold is so small it shouldn't suck much oil. Do I have that backwards? I thought oil was present more in the VC-intake pipe (although, now that you mention it, the air should *normally* flow pipe-VC-PCV-manifold... I think.)

Dammit, I need a VQ in the garage on a stand so I can engineer ****. I'm too fat/short to lay on my own car to see the back of the engine LOL...
the joys of a G
Old 01-21-2022, 11:53 AM
BULL
Moderador

The hole on the breathers on the VHR are so small I feel like it would be a waste to to put a can in between them.
Now for the Motordyne style you only have one port however the PCVs still let whatever the manifold pulls in and because of their location and bigger size than the breather will let more vapor out, less than a VHR manifold would pull however still significant.

Quick Reply: EPS discontinued their pcv breather kit, heres a video I found as alternative