Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

EPS discontinued their pcv breather kit, heres a video I found as alternative

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2021, 09:13 AM
bread
Registered Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by BULL
I get it. I dont think you quite get how little the breather actually breathes into the intake.

Project Panda, Have you taken off your intakes and or manifold after their install. being that you have cans and a closed system. Care to chime in?
https://i.imgur.com/MYDhtkk.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/Fz3i7kL.jpg

either one of these examples i drew here, thats the only thing i can think of, other than 3 catch cans (lmao)
Old 05-27-2021, 10:18 AM
BULL
Moderador

Received 735 Likes on 572 Posts
Originally Posted by bread
cause its a nissan lmao.
ok let me ask u another question. do you think they'd be okay open / breather filters
but have catch cans in the other designated areas
It wont. It will create an "air leak at idle" since at idle and decel is where max vacuum is created. The breather will start pulling air from the breathers, air that is not read by the MAFs.
If these cars were MAP controlled and not speed density then you could. ****, you could do 4 inch pipes, ITBs etc on Uprev/Ecutek
Old 05-27-2021, 10:30 AM
bread
Registered Member

It wont. It will create an "air leak at idle" since at idle and decel is where max vacuum is created. The breather will start pulling air from the breathers, air that is not read by the MAFs.
If these cars were MAP controlled and not speed density then you could. ****, you could do 4 inch pipes, ITBs etc on Uprev/Ecutek
check the imgur links, what do you think?
https://i.imgur.com/MYDhtkk.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/Fz3i7kL.jpg

Last edited by bread; 05-27-2021 at 01:37 PM.
Old 05-29-2021, 10:21 AM
bread
Registered Member

alright bull, lets check this out
https://www.ebay.com/itm/25483845536...oAAOSwfW1gBjmn

mimicing admins catch can breather setup, same idea, its a breather catch can to prevent pressure buildup.
https://www.administrationtuning.com...0Z-p/occhr.htm
the way his is setup, just copy the ways the tubes go, using an open ventilated catch can instead of enclosed, like i showed in the ebay listing. it would work the exact same as his setup, for about 1/5th the price
Old 05-31-2021, 10:27 AM
BULL
Moderador

That is an open system, you're essentially letting the crank case dump these gases in the cans by it's own pressure but do remember that these gases are lazy and that most wont evacuate on their own.

Many folks get fixated on this as they discover with more and more info how beneficial/important and hard to properly bypass it truly is and again most choose the to just remove vacuum and collect everything to CANS.

With this being said at the very end of it, individuals would have been just fine leaving the system as a Hybrid. Placing a CAN between both PCVs and leaving the breathers alone.

This also makes you understand those two intricate plastic Chambers on the Breathers.

You need to with all of this info determine what is the most important goal for you:

Not Drill expensive intakes or Not have a minuscule barely noticeable coating of oil in the intake track

Old 05-31-2021, 10:29 AM
bread
Registered Member

That is an open system, you're essentially letting the crank case dump these gases in the cans by it's own pressure but do remember that these gases are lazy and that most wont evacuate on their own.

Many folks get fixated on this as they discover with more and more info how beneficial/important and hard to properly bypass it truly is and again most choose the to just remove vacuum and collect everything to CANS.

With this being said at the very end of it, individuals would have been just fine leaving the system as a Hybrid. Placing a CAN between both PCVs and leaving the breathers alone.

This also makes you understand those two intricate plastic Chambers on the Breathers.

You need to with all of this info determine what is the most important goal for you:

Not Drill expensive intakes or Not have a minuscule barely noticeable coating of oil in the intake track
what ima try to do is one of the methods of the system that i will go with and fabricate. ill see how it works and report my findings back to you, to let you know the outcome of breather can setup! thanks for all the help and knowledge and i hope i can shed more light by physically trying this setup
The following users liked this post:
BULL (05-31-2021)
Old 05-31-2021, 10:31 AM
BULL
Moderador

The barbs were not incorporated for a sales reason, they might disagree however here you are 3 pages deep slowly realizing this.

They could have been placed under the pipes and could have been easily capped for those who don't want to use them.
Old 05-31-2021, 10:33 AM
bread
Registered Member

The barbs were not incorporated for a sales reason, they might disagree however here you are 3 pages deep slowly realizing this.

They could have been placed under the pipes and could have been easily capped for those who don't want to use them.
talk to admin not me on that one ahah. but instead of buying his $500 setup ima be trying like a $60 setup

i see what youre saying though
Old 05-31-2021, 10:33 AM
BULL
Moderador

Last thing I can think of is buying two couplers and make holes on the couples between the TBs and Intakes and come up with a system to monitor oil consumption. Then monitor and later decide if you see enough oil from those ports to justify installing barbs.
bread (05-31-2021)
Old 05-31-2021, 02:58 PM
2.2Lude
Registered Member

Received 184 Likes on 128 Posts
I can’t add much to the technical discussion but do have some real world findings that I can share.

I recently added a set of ADD W1 oil catch cans to my completely factory intake system with drop in AFE dry filters and new PCV valves(2k miles old). After 1,730 miles/2 months/2 track days the cans caught about 2 oz total between the two sides.

Both catching roughly about the same amount of blow by.

I just switched to a set of Z1 intakes and will be keeping the catch cans in the same recirculating configuration.
Old 06-07-2021, 11:17 PM
bread
Registered Member

Last thing I can think of is buying two couplers and make holes on the couples between the TBs and Intakes and come up with a system to monitor oil consumption. Then monitor and later decide if you see enough oil from those ports to justify installing barbs.
day 1 of this setup:

so far nothings happened and catch cans are empty
using sealed cans not breathers cause they wouldnt fit. talked to a few other people about it, we'll see what happens
BULL (06-08-2021)
Old 06-08-2021, 04:05 PM
BULL
Moderador

day 1 of this setup:

so far nothings happened and catch cans are empty
using sealed cans not breathers cause they wouldnt fit. talked to a few other people about it, we'll see what happens
That's great news. If by the end of the week you still dont see much then your engine is pretty healthy. Keep monitoring and go from there.

Post a pic of the setup
Old 06-08-2021, 04:08 PM
bread
Registered Member

That's great news. If by the end of the week you still dont see much then your engine is pretty healthy. Keep monitoring and go from there.

Post a pic of the setup
should i keep it closed setup, or open, breathers dont fit but i opened the hole for it
Old 06-08-2021, 04:10 PM
BULL
Moderador

should i keep it closed setup, or open, breathers dont fit but i opened the hole for it
If cans are closed then the breather will need to connect to the pipes after the MAF or it will detect an air leak.
Closing the breathers will cause seal colapse because at idle the engine will produce more vacuum.
Old 06-13-2021, 10:41 AM
bread
Registered Member

If cans are closed then the breather will need to connect to the pipes after the MAF or it will detect an air leak.
Closing the breathers will cause seal colapse because at idle the engine will produce more vacuum.
keeping it open, no filters on the catch can yet just open hole, need to find a way to reroute the breather filters cause they are too big to close the hood.

question, for the pcv valves, should i buy some on ebay and cut through them to be a 2 way port, or should i just leave them as is which i believe are made to be "one ways"

Quick Reply: EPS discontinued their pcv breather kit, heres a video I found as alternative