Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

EPS discontinued their pcv breather kit, heres a video I found as alternative

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2021, 02:20 PM
BULL
Moderador

Received 735 Likes on 572 Posts
Originally Posted by Birdie
If you are being tuned by admin as well, seeing as you are installing his intakes I would go this route.

The issue here is the real fixes require the right thought process, unfortunately what you'll get from Moncef is the path of least resistance assuming that by making these purchases you're assuming all responsibility when the reality a lot of the younger folks who get his tunes assume, assume a lot.

How would he recommend you'd tackle this?
An oil cooler because might as well
His own intakes with purposely deleted breathers to move folks to buy his catch can.
Adding breather fittings would not have cost that much additionally but since these engines will see it's fair share of wear, blow by will increase adding oil into the intake track.

It's complicated man and one thing affects the other. Not a lot of folks want to tackle these calculations/problems and just follow others. I refuse to deal with the smell and in my opinion visible catch cans ruin the engine bay look.
Old 05-26-2021, 03:29 PM
Birdie
Registered Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by BULL
The issue here is the real fixes require the right thought process, unfortunately what you'll get from Moncef is the path of least resistance assuming that by making these purchases you're assuming all responsibility when the reality a lot of the younger folks who get his tunes assume, assume a lot.

How would he recommend you'd tackle this?
An oil cooler because might as well
His own intakes with purposely deleted breathers to move folks to buy his catch can.
Adding breather fittings would not have cost that much additionally but since these engines will see it's fair share of wear, blow by will increase adding oil into the intake track.

It's complicated man and one thing affects the other. Not a lot of folks want to tackle these calculations/problems and just follow others. I refuse to deal with the smell and in my opinion visible catch cans ruin the engine bay look.
Hey bull hows it going? I don't believe I have ever responded to someone else on the threads besides the OP.but have respect for you out of your knowledge.
I believe the issue here was going the cheapest way of having a PVC delete and not catch cans. These are all assumptions and theories on my part. Seeing as he is willing to buy a "high performance part" and go the least expensive way on reliability I dont think he sees himself driving that car 10 years down the road. Maybe 6 at most.So the oil cooler is out of the question as well.
As far as the pvc delete wear goes,the blow by will never add more oil into the intake track as that happens in the block not the intake manifold that is assuming thier is any.
The pvc is for emissions purposes and we know all the fumes go back into intake track on closed setup. I doubt the vacuum being pulled is enough to actually effect the rings especially with how violent the combustion is. As the pistons go down the other are going up so is there vacuum being created thier or pressure? Maybe it's just being equalize.I can see the oil in thier getting like you said up to 230 degrees and being splash by the crankshaft and causing lots of fumes and heat.
I'm sure the closed system would cool it down but on the other side why into your cool air intake system?
That being said and me assuming moncef is the tuner, more than likely he will have lots of timing and prone to detonation.
Now if he has cold air intakes and is tuned to the air temp coming in,why would you want to run hot air "up too 240 degrees "behind the maf sensors with chance of oil as well where the computer can detect it and is accounting for maybe 140 intake temp. The more parts on lines like catch cans the less effective just like sucking through a large bendy straw.
Any ways just my theory. I would just run that pvc delete for under 50 bucks and do a coolant delete as well. I wouldnt chance a bent rod with a aggressive tune. I would keep everything clean and oil free on the intake side
Old 05-26-2021, 03:49 PM
bread
Registered Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Birdie
Hey bull hows it going? I don't believe I have ever responded to someone else on the threads besides the OP.but have respect for you out of your knowledge.
I believe the issue here was going the cheapest way of having a PVC delete and not catch cans. These are all assumptions and theories on my part. Seeing as he is willing to buy a "high performance part" and go the least expensive way on reliability I dont think he sees himself driving that car 10 years down the road. Maybe 6 at most.So the oil cooler is out of the question as well.
As far as the pvc delete wear goes,the blow by will never add more oil into the intake track as that happens in the block not the intake manifold that is assuming thier is any.
The pvc is for emissions purposes and we know all the fumes go back into intake track on closed setup. I doubt the vacuum being pulled is enough to actually effect the rings especially with how violent the combustion is. As the pistons go down the other are going up so is there vacuum being created thier or pressure? Maybe it's just being equalize.I can see the oil in thier getting like you said up to 230 degrees and being splash by the crankshaft and causing lots of fumes and heat.
I'm sure the closed system would cool it down but on the other side why into your cool air intake system?
That being said and me assuming moncef is the tuner, more than likely he will have lots of timing and prone to detonation.
Now if he has cold air intakes and is tuned to the air temp coming in,why would you want to run hot air "up too 240 degrees "behind the maf sensors with chance of oil as well where the computer can detect it and is accounting for maybe 140 intake temp. The more parts on lines like catch cans the less effective just like sucking through a large bendy straw.
Any ways just my theory. I would just run that pvc delete for under 50 bucks and do a coolant delete as well. I wouldnt chance a bent rod with a aggressive tune. I would keep everything clean and oil free on the intake side
keep reading, willing to do catch cans. were brainstorming ideas on how to mount it n stuff
Old 05-26-2021, 03:55 PM
BULL
Moderador

Blowby can and WILL add more oil as it forces it's way into the baffles of the valve cover and back into the intake tube if you have them connected. This is a fact, which is why you'll see worn engines with breather filters soak these filters over time.

The pvc is for emissions purposes and we know all the fumes go back into intake track on closed setup. I doubt the vacuum being pulled is enough to actually effect the rings especially with how violent the combustion is. As the pistons go down the other are going up so is there vacuum being created thier or pressure? Maybe it's just being equalize.

The PCV is a ventilation of the crank case which serves for ventilating pressures that are contaminated with fuel vapor and oil. This was found that can be used for combustion purposes as well as to decrease the pressure it forms under combustion. Easiest way to see this is a forced induction car under boost with an atmospheric Can you'll see the vapors coming out, so technically there will be more pressure than vacuum. Best comparison on this is DE engines VS HR/VHRs the DEs have a terrible PCV system and due to the lack of relief develop more blow by and leaks in comparison to HR/VHRs.

I can see the oil in thier getting like you said up to 230 degrees and being splash by the crankshaft and causing lots of fumes and heat.

Now if he has cold air intakes and is tuned to the air temp coming in,why would you want to run hot air "up too 240 degrees "behind the maf sensors with chance of oil as well where the computer can detect it and is accounting for maybe 140 intake temp.

You have somewhat of a point, the gases will be hotter than filtered air however by the time it mixes with atmospheric air I doubt that it will make that much of a difference being the hole of the breather is tiny. Its mainly the aggressive tunes along with the E85s ones, which over time will start to increase this blow by which will eventually need as much help as possible.

The more parts on lines like catch cans the less effective just like sucking through a large bendy straw.
A great point to include but works vice versa as well. If the cans are too filtered then the lazy blow by gases will have a harder time getting in.

I agree on the coolant delete

This is the size of the OEM breather holes BTW

Old 05-26-2021, 03:57 PM
Birdie
Registered Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Yea I saw that. Dont forget to run a catch can cooler to keep the crankcase temp coming in to the intake temp down. Lol jk
Old 05-26-2021, 04:17 PM
projectpanda13
Registered Member

Received 281 Likes on 231 Posts
I run cans that are similar and have it mounted on either side of the coolant reservior.
I suppose if you want to vent to atmosphere; get PCV delete fittings, run both front and rear lines to vented catch can, plug front vacuum port.

otherwise, if you want a closed system, run the setup like BULL explained.

Old 05-26-2021, 05:31 PM
bread
Registered Member

You have to decide if you want to run Atmopheric (Open) or Recirculated (Closed) the ones you posted work but are terrible at the location of the hoses, mainly because twin cans are not "Mirrored" meaning the routing of the hoses wont look good even if you placed them on each ends

This was the only pic I found with those cans in a VHR. As you can see he still has his breathers which means this is a closed setup.
idc for looks i care for functionality, all looks good its just the side breathers, not drilling holes and i need to find a solution for those 2 intake ones
Old 05-27-2021, 08:21 AM
BULL
Moderador

Originally Posted by bread
idc for looks i care for functionality, all looks good its just the side breathers, not drilling holes and i need to find a solution for those 2 intake ones
I get it. I dont think you quite get how little the breather actually breathes into the intake.

Project Panda, Have you taken off your intakes and or manifold after their install. being that you have cans and a closed system. Care to chime in?
The following users liked this post:
bread (05-27-2021)
Old 05-27-2021, 08:26 AM
projectpanda13
Registered Member

I get it. I dont think you quite get how little the breather actually breathes into the intake.

Project Panda, Have you taken off your intakes and or manifold after their install. being that you have cans and a closed system. Care to chime in?
My intakes are super clean, but my lower plenum does a light coating of oil (ported lower were completely clean when installed). I am not sure how many miles but its been 3 years. I think the cans are doing a great job.
Old 05-27-2021, 08:28 AM
bread
Registered Member

Originally Posted by projectpanda13
My intakes are super clean, but my lower plenum does a light coating of oil (ported lower were completely clean when installed). I am not sure how many miles but its been 3 years. I think the cans are doing a great job.
how did you take care of your intake breathers. i was talking to a buddy of mine and he said go catch cans on it
Old 05-27-2021, 08:32 AM
projectpanda13
Registered Member

Originally Posted by bread
how did you take care of your intake breathers. i was talking to a buddy of mine and he said go catch cans on it
i had a barb welded on my 3" intakes to keep the rear valvecover ports connected to the intakes. My catch can setup route is the exact same as OEM.
Old 05-27-2021, 08:38 AM
SkysG37
Registered Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Turbo/Supercharger PCV Setup?

Should I just start a new thread on this?
​​​​​​Under boost, the stock PCV system goes out the window.
dont want to pressurize the current case with boosted intake charge...
I'm thinking I need four PCV valves!
And maybe better quality ones than you'd find at the local auto parts.
or at least a different spring rate in the valves?
partsAny thoughts?
Old 05-27-2021, 08:39 AM
bread
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SkysG37
Should I just start a new thread on this?
​​​​​​Under boost, the stock PCV system goes out the window.
dont want to pressurize the current case with boosted intake charge...
I'm thinking I need four PCV valves!
And maybe better quality ones than you'd find at the local auto parts.
or at least a different spring rate in the valves?
partsAny thoughts?
new thread, different topic
Old 05-27-2021, 08:47 AM
BULL
Moderador

You can but dont need to, the added hoses + money for what it actually does is not worth it IMO.
I know you care about functionality and what not but if you really did you'd have spent the money into expensive cans, ones that will work better than the ones you posted.

I went through this dilemma and a ton of people as well. The forum advice + real world testing and trials VS the word of mouth advice coming from folks who just see it elsewhere so IT must work.
I seriously undermined the engineering of this car overall, not saying things can't be improved but thoroughly think it out on WHY was it done this way since Nissan cares more about performance than efficiency vs other brands.
Old 05-27-2021, 08:51 AM
bread
Registered Member

You can but dont need to, the added hoses + money for what it actually does is not worth it IMO.
I know you care about functionality and what not but if you really did you'd have spent the money into expensive cans, ones that will work better than the ones you posted.

I went through this dilemma and a ton of people as well. The forum advice + real world testing and trials VS the word of mouth advice coming from folks who just see it elsewhere so IT must work.
I seriously undermined the engineering of this car overall, not saying things can't be improved but thoroughly think it out on WHY was it done this way since Nissan cares more about performance than efficiency vs other brands.
cause its a nissan lmao.
ok let me ask u another question. do you think they'd be okay open / breather filters
but have catch cans in the other designated areas

Quick Reply: EPS discontinued their pcv breather kit, heres a video I found as alternative