Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Had battery issue, replaced with new one but car takes little longer to start

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2020, 08:26 PM
MStrike
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Had battery issue, replaced with new one but car takes little longer to start

Today, I replaced the battery for my car with a well-rated 750 cca battery (you can check my post history where I included videos about the issue), but I noticed that while starting it up today it took a tiny bit longer to start. https://streamable.com/dmwvs9. Thoughts?
Old 09-12-2020, 12:19 PM
juster
Registered Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by MStrike
Today, I replaced the battery for my car with a well-rated 750 cca battery (you can check my post history where I included videos about the issue), but I noticed that while starting it up today it took a tiny bit longer to start. https://streamable.com/dmwvs9. Thoughts?
Did you reset the computer? What do those codes say? If not reset it and see if any more codes come back. Seems okay to me. Does your slip light go off?
Old 09-12-2020, 02:25 PM
MStrike
Registered Member

Originally Posted by juster
Did you reset the computer? What do those codes say? If not reset it and see if any more codes come back. Seems okay to me. Does your slip light go off?
Yes, I reset it but it's still showing P0340 (for the cam issue). It's leading me to now believe that it could be a timing chain issue?

Also, I tried starting it recently and it wouldn't really crank. Possible starter or alternator?

Old 09-14-2020, 11:18 AM
Lee Nguyen
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Hmmm.....I don't think it's your timing chain. What year is it and how many miles? If you want to test the started, I guess just do the old way is to use a hammer and hit the starter from both sides, then start it to see if the car does better.

For the alternator, check this link out:

Good luck.
Old 09-14-2020, 01:48 PM
MStrike
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Lee Nguyen
Hmmm.....I don't think it's your timing chain. What year is it and how many miles? If you want to test the started, I guess just do the old way is to use a hammer and hit the starter from both sides, then start it to see if the car does better.

For the alternator, check this link out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGB6ZEjGm7Q

Good luck.
Hey, it's a 2011 with 100K miles and I already did the alternator test but it seems to work fine. The starting problems seem to come and go variably, and I have a string hunch it's in relation to the CPS issue that I am battling with.