Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Help with car not starting (included videos)

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2020, 08:09 PM
MStrike
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Help with car not starting (included videos)

Hey, I recently got a 100k '11 G37 and got the error code P0340, and just today I replaced both camshaft position sensors, where the code disappeared. However, my car was not starting and this actually began 2 days ago while I was waiting for my parts (one of the effects of faulty camshaft position sensor(s) is the engine not starting so I thought that it was responsible for it), but it still won't start. I attached a video (https://streamable.com/mggjdh) of what it shows when the car is in the 'On' position, and then the red light signal appears after for a bit (https://streamable.com/vsc1ys), which I also replaced the key for battery but it didn't do much. Finally, after trying to start it, I heard this clicking noise (starter issue?) that persisted for like 10 seconds (https://streamable.com/ru4b0b). I don't see any other codes currently. Any thoughts on this? Thanks.
Old 09-10-2020, 08:53 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,328 Likes on 1,075 Posts
There is a difference between the engine starting (firing up/running) and the engine turning over (cranking).

Judging from the videos, the engine is not turning over (cranking). More than likely you have a dead /dying battery. That clicking noise is the starter solenoid which "clicks" when there is not enough power to engage the starter motor.

Regardless of the cam sensors, the engine should still turn over/try to start. Check your battery and connections.

As for the blinking security light, that is normal.
Old 09-10-2020, 09:05 PM
garryg1999
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The clicking noise is probably because you have a dead battery, I had the same problem of the clicking noise, changed my battery and my g37 started up
Old 09-10-2020, 09:25 PM
MStrike
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
There is a difference between the engine starting (firing up/running) and the engine turning over (cranking).

Judging from the videos, the engine is not turning over (cranking). More than likely you have a dead /dying battery. That clicking noise is the starter solenoid which "clicks" when there is not enough power to engage the starter motor.

Regardless of the cam sensors, the engine should still turn over/try to start. Check your battery and connections.

As for the blinking security light, that is normal.
Oh, I see. I read online that the camshaft could result in the engine not starting, so I immediately assumed that it would be that. Nevertheless, would you recommend for me to recharge my dead battery or replace it?
Old 09-10-2020, 09:27 PM
MStrike
Registered Member

Originally Posted by garryg1999
The clicking noise is probably because you have a dead battery, I had the same problem of the clicking noise, changed my battery and my g37 started up
Oh, ok. Any certain brands you would recommend? Also, why did you choose to replace it instead of recharging it?
Old 09-10-2020, 11:44 PM
juster
Registered Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
See if you can read the voltage with your scan tool. Try to recharge the battery.