Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Help Overheating and misfiring at idle after coolant value replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2020, 06:44 PM
Kameronismyname
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overheating and misfiring at idle after coolant value replacement

I replace the trash plastic coolant value connector after it blew out on me . I was going to bleed the system but after bring it back home and starting the car to let the coolant bleed the car idle was so rough it wouldn't stay on It was very hot after I started to start it again to bleed it. But now I'm thinking I messed something up with the motor. I have no CEL either. I'm so lost.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:31 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,318 Likes on 1,069 Posts
1) let the engine cool COMPLETELY! Preferably overnight.
2) check your oil- does it look "milky?" *** If the oil looks milky, STOP! Do not start your engine. That is a different issue entirely

In the morning;
3) check your coolant level- top off as needed and start the engine. Also check level in overflow tank.
4) does the engine startup/idle smooth or rough?
5) if she runs normally, you will have to "burp" the air out- there are several DIY threads on this procedure.

I am sure you have/had a air bubble in there which prevented the coolant from circulating normally. The engine is designed to shut itself off if the temperature exceeds safe operating limits. These engines are relatively bullet proof so you should be ok.
The following users liked this post:
Kameronismyname (07-02-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 10:39 PM
Kameronismyname
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
1) let the engine cool COMPLETELY! Preferably overnight.
2) check your oil- does it look "milky?" *** If the oil looks milky, STOP! Do not start your engine. That is a different issue entirely

In the morning;
3) check your coolant level- top off as needed and start the engine. Also check level in overflow tank.
4) does the engine startup/idle smooth or rough?
5) if she runs normally, you will have to "burp" the air out- there are several DIY threads on this procedure.

I am sure you have/had a air bubble in there which prevented the coolant from circulating normally. The engine is designed to shut itself off if the temperature exceeds safe operating limits. These engines are relatively bullet proof so you should be ok.
Thanks! I was worried I really messed something up . I did everything you said. The oil is fine not milky , turns out it had literally no coolant in the system. I bleed the system and gonna start it tomorrow to see if it overheats. Thank you !!