Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Help Starter replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 12:06 PM
willstophe
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Starter replacement

Hey everyone. I have a 2010 manual coupe. Car was cranking slow so I took it to O'Reilly to have the battery, alternator, and starter tested. Turns out the starter needs to be replaced according to the test. Is this something I can do at home or should I have it done professionally? Car still fires up. She just cranks a little slow. I'm also fully built bottom end and supercharged. My guess is the blower makes a bit of a difference for cranking over because of the belts but idk I wanted to see what y'all think.
Old 06-17-2020, 02:05 PM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 339 Likes on 274 Posts
This is interesting. Generally, a slow cranking engine is due to low or bad battery, not a starter.
You might want to clean/sand the connections on the thick wire that goes to the starter.
Corrosion on this connector prevented my G37 from starting. 10 seconds with 80 grit sandpaper and it has been fine for a few years now.

On a rear wheel drive G37, you can get the start out by twisting and turning and moving it to the front of the engine. You only need to remove the belly pan and the electrical connecter for the AC compressor. Space is very limited and it is a "fun" logic puzzle. (I have done this on a sedan and assume the coupe is the same)

TL;DR
• If you are patient and can work logically through things, you can do it yourself.
• If you are impatient take it to a shop.
The following users liked this post:
willstophe (06-17-2020)
Old 06-17-2020, 02:09 PM
willstophe
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by SonicVQ
This is interesting. Generally, a slow cranking engine is due to low or bad battery, not a starter.
You might want to clean/sand the connections on the thick wire that goes to the starter.
Corrosion on this connector prevented my G37 from starting. 10 seconds with 80 grit sandpaper and it has been fine for a few years now.

On a rear wheel drive G37, you can get the start out by twisting and turning and moving it to the front of the engine. You only need to remove the belly pan and the electrical connecter for the AC compressor. Space is very limited and it is a "fun" logic puzzle. (I have done this on a sedan and assume the coupe is the same)

TL;DR
• If you are patient and can work logically through things, you can do it yourself.
• If you are impatient take it to a shop.
I may try to do it myself. There's probably a diy on Youtube. Thanks for the response.
Old 06-17-2020, 03:33 PM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 339 Likes on 274 Posts
Originally Posted by willstophe
I may try to do it myself. There's probably a diy on Youtube. Thanks for the response.
Anytime & good luck!
Old 06-19-2020, 01:30 PM
slovell1
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I had to replace the starter on my 08 coupe a while back, the motor was completely shot. It can be done with just removing the belly pan. As mentioned, it's a puzzle to get it out but it will come out.