Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Full intake cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2020 | 11:29 AM
Conboss
Registered Member

Full intake cleaning

With so much i time on my hands these days I’ve decided to give my car the tune up it deserves. I was planning on removing intakes, throttle bodies and the manifold to give them all a deep clean with some tb cleaner and some elbow grease. Is there anything I should know before diving in? I’ve never pulled the manifold off this motor, but I have on others. Any special tricks that would make it easier?

Ive removed throttle bodies before, and know not to disconnect them. So I’ve got that covered
Old 04-11-2020 | 12:45 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

i

Filthy. Saturated with oil. The gunk was really built up down in the cylinder head.

in order to scrape it out the lower mani was removed.

I port matched the upper to the lower.

Smooth out.

Removed casting ridges.

Cleaned up.
f your going through the trouble, remove the lower manifold and port both.
also clean put the gunk from the cylinder head. I had quite a bit. So much so an oil catch can was a must to keep.it clean.
if you pull the lower mani you'll need new lower gaskets.. the upper can be reused even though fsm says otherwise.. also a torque wrench and there's a specific sequence.
like if you have more questions

@james_dean_cooper on IG

The following 2 users liked this post by PNW_IPL:
Dentt42 (04-15-2020), rosskuhns (04-21-2020)
Old 04-11-2020 | 04:21 PM
Conboss
Registered Member

Very interesting! This is definitely something I’ll look at doing. What grit sandpaper/tool should I use to bore it out? How much room for error do I have if I overbore? I’m not looking to get a tune, would I still see benefits if I don’t?

I’ve already got an oversized exhaust with half the cats cut out so I should expect to see something as there is already more airflow potential

I found a kit on rock auto for like $70CAD shipped, comes with lower and upper gaskets and throttle body gaskets as well. I’ve had those off a couple times and wouldn’t mind getting a fresh set