Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Need to replace my clutch

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2020, 06:24 PM
urikorulzs2
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need to replace my clutch

Hello all,

need some help/advice.
my clutch went out on my 08 g37s coupe and the mechanic said i need a new clutch kit. he pointed me to the one from oreilys for $926.
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...24721SK+&pos=1
i dont have any mods on the g or anything. i did some searching and cant find any info on this brand and if reliable. i ordered it today but wanted to check if you guys had any recommendations for a comparable set either at same price or less and better. i dont mind canceling the order and getting the better option.

thanks in advance.
Old 03-18-2020, 09:26 PM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

Received 219 Likes on 195 Posts
Replace and upgrade the clutch slave cylinder while everything is out. If not, chances are it WILL eventually fail and then you have to take the transmission back out again to replace it. I recommend the CMAK option from Z Speed Performance: https://zspeed.com/product/zspeed-pe...-g37-g35s-q60/ . Read the benefits of it on their site.

Full Z Speed package (clutch, flywheel, CMAK, etc.) for daily driving and light track use: https://zspeed.com/product/zspeed-ez...ywheel-system/ .

Might want to think about replacing the clutch master cylinder as well. OEM or upgraded one from RJM Peformance: https://rjmperformance.com/370z-g37/...ter-cylinders/ .

Spend a bit more now to save yourself money down the road.

Here is what I did 2 1/2 years ago when my clutch slave cylinder failed. Everything is still working great, no issues.
-RJM Performance Clutch Assembly w/ Heavy Duty Clevis End
-RJM Performance Clutch Master Cylinder w/ SS clutch line
-South Bend Stage 2 Daily Clutch & 17lb Flywheel w/ CMAK, quite disc

Last edited by jpowersjr2; 03-18-2020 at 09:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
josephwhan (03-19-2020)
Old 03-19-2020, 01:41 AM
urikorulzs2
Registered Member

Thanks for the info, very helpful.
Looking through the forums I see exedy is also a reputable brand.
What are your thoughts on purchasing a kit from Amazon?
Amazon Amazon
also does it compare in parts needed to the recommendation from the mechanic?
Old 03-19-2020, 07:48 AM
jayp81
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Clutch replacement

I would also recommend going with Z speed kit with the CMAK. I wouldn't worry too much about the clutch master cylinder if you go with that external slave. I didn't replace my my clutch master cyl and it's been 2 years since the clutch kit replacement and all is good so far.
Personally I feel like that Excedy kit from Amazon might just be something similar to the kit from Orielys. Also I feel like if you're going to do a kit like that with an internal slave, then you should definitely do the clutch master cylinder also since it could be potentially be failing and end up damaging that internal slave leading to having and drop the transmission again to replace it. That internal slave failure is going to be costly. That's why I went with the external. Very easy to replace, almost as easy as changing your engine oil I'd say, as opposed to the factory internal slave.
jpowersjr2 (03-20-2020)
Old 03-31-2020, 03:04 PM
72chevnj
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by urikorulzs2
Thanks for the info, very helpful.
Looking through the forums I see exedy is also a reputable brand.
What are your thoughts on purchasing a kit from Amazon?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XT1FGDN..._koWCEbWNDZTGV
also does it compare in parts needed to the recommendation from the mechanic?
Still looking for this Exedy clutch kit? I have one for sale
Old 03-31-2020, 03:18 PM
urikorulzs2
Registered Member

sorry a few days too late. already set with a new kit.
Old 04-06-2020, 07:53 PM
urikorulzs2
Registered Member

Hey guys so I'm confused due to my lack of knowledge here. My mechanic says the kit from zspeed with master and HD csc will not fit my g. Says the new flywheel doesnt match up and the pressure plate and csc aren't correct either. Joe from zspeed said they will fitness but mechanic says he can put them in but cant guarantee they will start.
I'm in Indianapolis IN. Anyone have any recommendations of someone who installed this that can guarantee it will fit. Would love to have a conversation with the person or have my mechanic talk to the person to create some confidence.
We ordered the stock from infiniti, cost me 2200 would love to return it and use this zspeed one.

​​​​​​​
Old 04-06-2020, 08:43 PM
72chevnj
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Here is a thread that may be some help
It has been used on the G
https://www.myg37.com/forums/vendor-...ce-review.html
Old 04-06-2020, 11:20 PM
jayp81
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Personally I feel like your mechanic isn't very skilled, which would make me paranoid to have my car in his hands. For him to say he can assemble it, but it might not start is not true (restraining from calling the vulgar word it is). If the parts are all bolted on correctly, there is no reason for any issues. The flywheel from zspeed is a single piece design which is different both in looks and function from the original factory part. With that in mind, maybe he's just going purely based off looks without closely looking at the bolt patterns. There's really nothing that complicated to it. Remove the old parts, bolt on the new ones. It will have the same amount of holes in the same pattern/location for it to bolt directly on. I'm guessing what's freaking him out is due to the factory flywheel being a dual mass flywheel as opposed to the zspeed. The factory dual mass flywheel is another weak point on our transmission after the slave cyl. You can research the difference between a dual mass flywheel and a single piece steel one for a little better understanding and maybe compare the looks of them so you can see why he might be scared. Joe is very knowledgeable and I spoke with him when I did my clutch.
urikorulzs2 (04-07-2020)
Old 04-07-2020, 11:11 AM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

Received 219 Likes on 195 Posts
Time for another mechanic.