Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

2012 g37x tranny cooler line nightmare...

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2020, 09:55 PM
Dopery
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 g37x tranny cooler line nightmare...

bought this car a month ago, had the tranny cooler line burst off on the highway last week... 115k miles. I fixed it myself and filled it with fluid thinking it had lost all of its ATF... i added 9 quarts. I called my local Infiniti dealer and they tell me when they do this repair they usually only have to add 4-5 quarts. so now im back under the car today and pop the check fill plug and sure as **** damn near 4 quarts came out and then the stream started to dwindle down so i capped it back off and tonight i just went out for 10 mile drive or so and im dripping atf. Is there still too much atf in there? do these transmissions have a breather valve? or an overflow? where if it has too much fluid it will shoot out somewhere? Thanks in advance.... im kinda at a loss here. Bought the car with a warranty but the shop i work at told me not to go through warranty for whatever reason and im doing the damn work on the car.... im just a lube tech i have no idea what im doing and just youtubeing **** and calling the dealer for reference... at this point i just want my damn car to work normally and not spit out fluids.... It shifts through the gear great i have no complaints. Should i keep driving until its no longer dripping? should i pull the check fill plug again and see if theres anything that comes out of it? When i added fluid, then took fluid out i made sure the transmission was within the 100f-113f degree range which i read online on a TSB. Thanks for any suggestions in advance.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:44 AM
SkysG37
Registered Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
"Only" four our quarts drained out?
this is with the car running?
If you were driving, probably pumped out more.
stock cooler? Or?

I'm not familiar with the X's transfer case.
Is it a separate pump and sump?

Look up the dip stick mod. Might be worth the effort.
And make sure you're using a compatible fluid!
Old 03-26-2020, 02:05 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Dip stick mod is a great suggestion. I've always paid to anything transmission related dealt with. Being a closed system, I just never felt like dealing with it. Breeze through the drain and refill thread:
https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...rop-clean.html

Where is it dripping from? You shouldn't be losing any fluid so check your connections.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:31 PM
BULL
Moderador

Received 736 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by Dopery
bought this car a month ago, had the tranny cooler line burst off on the highway last week... 115k miles. I fixed it myself and filled it with fluid thinking it had lost all of its ATF... i added 9 quarts. I called my local Infiniti dealer and they tell me when they do this repair they usually only have to add 4-5 quarts. so now im back under the car today and pop the check fill plug and sure as **** damn near 4 quarts came out and then the stream started to dwindle down so i capped it back off and tonight i just went out for 10 mile drive or so and im dripping atf. Is there still too much atf in there? do these transmissions have a breather valve? or an overflow? where if it has too much fluid it will shoot out somewhere? Thanks in advance.... im kinda at a loss here. Bought the car with a warranty but the shop i work at told me not to go through warranty for whatever reason and im doing the damn work on the car.... im just a lube tech i have no idea what im doing and just youtubeing **** and calling the dealer for reference... at this point i just want my damn car to work normally and not spit out fluids.... It shifts through the gear great i have no complaints. Should i keep driving until its no longer dripping? should i pull the check fill plug again and see if theres anything that comes out of it? When i added fluid, then took fluid out i made sure the transmission was within the 100f-113f degree range which i read online on a TSB. Thanks for any suggestions in advance.
For fluid level it is easier than you think. and if you're a lube tech you already have all the tools you need.

First you need to identify where this leak is coming from
Second put the car on the rack and make sure the trans pan is level, lifting the front wheels will throw it off.
Third with the car on pull the fill plug and see if any fluid comes out.

Did fluid come out?

No - add a quart of fluid and remove the filler. If fluid doesn't come out add another quart until it starts leaking from from the fill hole (the fill hole is a tube that's about 2-3 inches long and it's really an overflow tube just like the differential/manual trans, once it leaks from the fill its full)

Yes- let it drain until you see a small stream/drip(the fill hole is a tube that's about 2-3 inches long and it's really an overflow tube just like the differential/manual trans, once it leaks from the fill its full)
The following users liked this post:
RMB5190 (03-27-2020)