Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Help! Won’t turn on any more

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2020, 11:03 PM
ValeG37
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! Won’t turn on any more

I have a 2011 g37 coupe journey with 55k miles on it. At first it made a rattling noise every time I would accelerate it, it would get even worse when in sport mode. Recently I was driving & the noise got louder to the point when I would accelerate it didn’t give me an power & the car just shut down & now it won’t turn on.
Old 02-15-2020, 11:25 PM
KImChee
Registered Member

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts
Doesn't sound too good, wish you had video of the noises
The following users liked this post:
Isxlow (02-16-2020)
Old 02-16-2020, 01:52 PM
Isxlow
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
+1 to KImChee. Do you have any idea of where you think the rattling noise was coming from?
Old 02-16-2020, 02:39 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 838 Likes on 716 Posts
My guess is rods. Is there any oil in the engine?
Old 02-16-2020, 02:51 PM
Isxlow
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
What I was thinking as well hope he didnt throw a rod. Better hope you got a warranty!!!!!
Old 02-16-2020, 06:57 PM
Conboss
Registered Member

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Possibility of plugged cats? If there’s bad airflow you’ll lose power, if NO airflow you lose any chance of starting.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:00 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,322 Likes on 1,073 Posts
Without more details it will be hard to diagnose the issue(s). Does the engine turn over at all? These engines are pretty damn rock solid especially if properly maintained...

My guess? Car was probably abused/neglected until the engine either seized or had some type of catastrophic event that lead to this point (thrown rods, spun bearings, etc.). The rattling and loss of power were red flags that went ignored and the continued use of "Sport" mode further exacerbated the matter.

Old 02-17-2020, 05:16 AM
ValeG37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
My guess is rods. Is there any oil in the engine?
Yes there’s oil in the engine
Old 02-17-2020, 05:19 AM
ValeG37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Isxlow
+1 to KImChee. Do you have any idea of where you think the rattling noise was coming from?
It sounds like it’s coming from under the car. It only rattles when I accelerate it
Old 02-17-2020, 05:20 AM
ValeG37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by KImChee
Doesn't sound too good, wish you had video of the noises
Im new to this I do have a video just don’t know how to upload it
Old 02-17-2020, 05:30 AM
ValeG37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
Without more details it will be hard to diagnose the issue(s). Does the engine turn over at all? These engines are pretty damn rock solid especially if properly maintained...

My guess? Car was probably abused/neglected until the engine either seized or had some type of catastrophic event that lead to this point (thrown rods, spun bearings, etc.). The rattling and loss of power were red flags that went ignored and the continued use of "Sport" mode further exacerbated the matter.
The car recently had a timing chain gally gasket change because it passed due the oil change & ever since then the car hasn’t been right
Old 02-17-2020, 09:12 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,322 Likes on 1,073 Posts
First, I will apologize for the tone of my previous post. After rereading same it gave off the wring tone. I did not mean to imply you trashed your car. That said, the more information we have the easier it is to narrow things down.

- how long ago were the gaskets replaced? By who? Warranty on repair?
- do you have a scanner/are there any codes?
- is the engine trying to crank or just turning over?

You mention that the car "hasn't been right" since the gasket repair. At this point I would lead toward a bad repair job with the gaskets. All it takes is one piece of that puzzle to screw the timing up and the engine is no go.
Old 02-17-2020, 04:42 PM
ValeG37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
First, I will apologize for the tone of my previous post. After rereading same it gave off the wring tone. I did not mean to imply you trashed your car. That said, the more information we have the easier it is to narrow things down.

- how long ago were the gaskets replaced? By who? Warranty on repair?
- do you have a scanner/are there any codes?
- is the engine trying to crank or just turning over?

You mention that the car "hasn't been right" since the gasket repair. At this point I would lead toward a bad repair job with the gaskets. All it takes is one piece of that puzzle to screw the timing up and the engine is no go.
2 & half months ago & by some mechanic around my town
As of right now no codes are being thrown but when it was like 3 months ago the code p0011 would come out
The engine cranks but doesn’t turn on its weak. When I had got the car towed to my house the guy had told me my battery didn’t have enough juice to start it but all my accessories are working
Old 02-18-2020, 03:14 PM
Conboss
Registered Member

I still get a funny feeling about the cats. You mention you think the sound was coming from under the car, which is where my noise is currently coming from. It’s my cats without a doubt. A while back the guy doing my fence, his son bought an RX8 and the cat ended up falling apart and plugging up, causing internal engine damage. The car was running great, then started to get sluggish on acceleration. Then kaput, it was dead.

this is all speculation, but if the rattle was coming from underneath, then got worse and hindered performance there is a chance your cats are just plugged up.

tap your cats with a screwdriver or hammer. Does it sound like it’s full of nails?
Old 02-18-2020, 03:16 PM
Conboss
Registered Member

https://imgur.com/a/xdg3zhE

I recorded this video months ago, but was just wondering if this is what the rattle sounds like. Maybe I’ll update later with a new video, cause my rattle is a lot louder these days. I need to do something about it soon

Quick Reply: Help! Won’t turn on any more