Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Bad MAF vs. Vacuum Leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2020, 10:34 PM
Odin
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad MAF vs. Vacuum Leak

So just recently I started to tune my G. (E-Tune) In the process of tuning it my tuner was questioning the installation of my Stillen Gen 3 Long Tune Intakes. He believed that I may have a huge vacuum leak somewhere because my injectors would max out during pulls. I inspected the intakes and even went as far as torquing the throttle bodies since I had removed them prior to do my spark plugs. After checking the logs, my injectors were still maxing out. So, he suggested I get the engine smoke tested. I got a plug at Nissan, so I took the car there for them to check for the vacuum leak. In return, I was informed that i had no vacuum leaks. However, my passenger MAF sensor was bad. Which was odd to me because I have NEVER seen my SES light come on. I let my tuner know and he was a bit surprised but did state it could possibly be that. My MPG has been garbage for awhile. I never got a code so I always thought the 20' rims i'm running isn't helping.
Ill attach my Car for reference and the latest logs. Nissan is trying to get me to buy a new MAF sensor and im running out of options cause we're in the process of tuning the car. Pls help.

Code Nissan gave me was P0113

Mods - Stillen Gen 3 Long Tube Intake
- Berk HFC
- Axleback
Attached Files
File Type: csv
Old 02-08-2020, 03:49 PM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
Have you tried cleaning it
The following users liked this post:
socketz67 (12-25-2022)
Old 02-08-2020, 07:30 PM
jfridge92
Registered Member

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
+1 on trying to clean the MAF first. Find out how the dealer determined that the MAF was bad. If you have a scan tool or way to view live data on the car, try to watch the MAF values in grams/second and see what your readings are. At Idle after the car is warm, with the car either in park if you're an AT or neutral if you're an MT, you should see values between 2 to 6 g/s. at 2,500 rpm, you should see values between 7 to 20 g/s. If the values you're seeing on that MAF are outside of this range after cleaning it, replace the MAF.

If you have a bluetooth dongle and android tablet or phone, you can use either the Torque app to view the MAF's on bank 1 and 2 separately, or OBD Fusion will let you view both MAF's separately as well. It's key that you use a program to view data that lets you see banks 1 and 2's MAF sensors individually.
Old 02-08-2020, 09:56 PM
Odin
Registered Member

Okay so I have cleaned the MAF sensors and my g/s are really everywhere. At idle it’s around 3g/s and at 2500k it is around 14 then down to 8 then back up to 17 back down etc. I couldn’t find a logger that did the MAF individually. I’m gonna replace the MAF tomorrow and find out.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:43 AM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Odin
Okay so I have cleaned the MAF sensors and my g/s are really everywhere. At idle it’s around 3g/s and at 2500k it is around 14 then down to 8 then back up to 17 back down etc. I couldn’t find a logger that did the MAF individually. I’m gonna replace the MAF tomorrow and find out.
swap maf sensors around see if it follows if it doesnt then it could be harness
Old 02-10-2020, 09:12 AM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 339 Likes on 274 Posts
From what I see below both MAFs have similar flow reading, so they look ok to me.(at least for the sample shown in the CSV file)
(Graph: Top: MAF voltage B1, MAF voltage B2, engine rpm, injector duty cycle.)

Your injector duty cycle is high at 93-95% when only at 4500 RPM.

I think Surfnazi's suggestion is the solution.
In looking at the log file, your air intake temperature is showing as 46-48F... I assume this is not correct.

As part of the fuel calculations, air density (temperature and ambient pressure) greatly influence how much fuel is delivered.
During your wide open throttle runs, your fuelling correction (A/F CORR -B1/B2) maxes out at 125%

The air intake temp sensor is built into the MAF (both of them, but it is only used on bank 2)
Switch MAF sensors, and you will then use the air intake temp from the other MAF.

Isn't it nice of Nissan/Infiniti to have spare parts that come with the car?

The following users liked this post:
Odin (02-12-2020)
Old 02-10-2020, 11:49 AM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Think a good cleaning should do it with crf maf cleaner spray.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:23 PM
Odin
Registered Member

Update - Issue still persists

So the problem is still there but oddly enough, it does feel a lot better.
I've cleaned the OE MAF sensor and the issue was still there.
This is the latest log I am posting. I got 1 new MAF sensor in B1 (assuming passenger side), swapping the MAF that was previously in B1 into B2.
I also replaced the spring clamps that hold the hoses from OE with breeze clamps. I still have no idea whats wrong. Nissan still says there's no leak.

PS- I appreciate the help.
Attached Files
File Type: csv
3rdG Pull.csv (96.6 KB, 64 views)

Last edited by Odin; 02-12-2020 at 11:42 PM.
Old 02-13-2020, 06:02 AM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Harness could be damaged
Old 02-13-2020, 04:12 PM
latino914
Registered Member

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

hey guys, for me there is no reading for the mas air flow rate. I am able to pull up intake temperature and throttle position though. Any thoughts? I have torque pro by the way
Old 02-13-2020, 05:41 PM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

I know exactly what is going on....
Torque Pro really isn't a very good OBD scanner for our cars. It is confused by our engine having 2 throttle bodies.
It ignores the standard PID 0x66, which shows the MAF air flow for each bank. (A = bank 1, B = bank2)

OBD Fusion does:

The above MAF data is with the engine coolant at 88C / 190F at idle (650 RPM)
You might want to purchase OBD Fusion to see all the OBD data.
Old 02-13-2020, 06:01 PM
latino914
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SonicVQ
I know exactly what is going on....
Torque Pro really isn't a very good OBD scanner for our cars. It is confused by our engine having 2 throttle bodies.
It ignores the standard PID 0x66, which shows the MAF air flow for each bank. (A = bank 1, B = bank2)

OBD Fusion does:

The above MAF data is with the engine coolant at 88C / 190F at idle (650 RPM)
You might want to purchase OBD Fusion to see all the OBD data.
Thanks, I actually was able to get the reading but through the NDS 3 lite app. But there is a problem. So @ idle in park, bank. 1 is reading 4.33 g/s and bank 2 is reading 467.0 lol. And its just stuck there doesnt move, weird thing is I have no cel and no unusual symptoms. I do have ****ty gas mileage though 16.1 mpg, but I figured because I have full exhaust. From what I researched bank 2 is the drivers side correct? I will probably take it out and give it a good cleaning and report back.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:07 PM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

Received 219 Likes on 195 Posts
Subscribed.

These are some of the types of posts that I stick around the forums for. Detailed analysis of specific issues with the community pitching in to help and add feedback. As nice as Instagram is, there is too much hate on there.

Interested to see the end solution, you got this.
The following 2 users liked this post by jpowersjr2:
latino914 (02-13-2020), SonicVQ (06-19-2020)
Old 02-13-2020, 07:18 PM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by latino914
Thanks, I actually was able to get the reading but through the NDS 3 lite app. But there is a problem. So @ idle in park, bank. 1 is reading 4.33 g/s and bank 2 is reading 467.0 lol. And its just stuck there doesnt move, weird thing is I have no cel and no unusual symptoms. I do have ****ty gas mileage though 16.1 mpg, but I figured because I have full exhaust. From what I researched bank 2 is the drivers side correct? I will probably take it out and give it a good cleaning and report back.
If your engine is at operating temp and idle is around 650 RPM, it looks like NDS III Lite is reporting the total air flow (bank 1 + bank 2) as Bank 1.
It seems like many apps don't properly report the air flow when there are two MAFs.

Also, based on your data log, both MAFs are reporting the similar values for air flow, which makes me think they are good. (other than the low intake air temp, which I assume is not accurate)
Old 02-16-2020, 02:44 PM
latino914
Registered Member

Alright guys sorry about the wait it was pretty cold here in CT past 2 days. Anyways I did switch the sensors and still got the same reading of 4.0-4.2 in park which is good. So SonicVQ was right the NDS III lite app only recognizes bank 1 sensor and adds them up.

Quick Reply: Bad MAF vs. Vacuum Leak