Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

2010 Infiniti G37s convertible P0340 code. Stuck in limp mode - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2020, 03:00 PM
Casey A. Coker
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 Infiniti G37s convertible P0340 code. Stuck in limp mode - Help!

I'm trying my best to get it out of limp mode. Car has 3 generic codes P0340. I've replaced both cam sensors and crankshaft sensor. Alternator read bad, so I replaced alternator and bought a fresh battery in case. Starter tested good. Still in limp mode. Buddy that owns a shop wiped all codes very thoroughly, multiple times.

Some details: car won't cold start with the bank 1 cam sensor plugged in, if it's warmed up it will start with it plugged in. I've been having to unplug it to get around in limp mode, but won't rev past 3,500rpms. I've tried reading all the forums/discussions on this exact issue but none have been resolved. I've been told could be jumped timing on the bank1 side of the engine, possibly bad actuator or camshaft sprocket. Everything leads to timing.
am I doomed to repalce the engine at only 116k miles? Timing prices are $2,500, or I could swap the engine for $1,800. I really hate to swap an engine this early. Help..
Old 02-07-2020, 07:54 PM
teahead
Registered Member

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts
time to get it to a dealer i'm afraid.
Old 02-07-2020, 08:57 PM
Casey A. Coker
Registered Member

Problem found and solved

Originally Posted by teahead
time to get it to a dealer i'm afraid.
Looking into it deeper I found that the position encoder ring on bank 1 Intake Cam Gear was off about 30 degrees. Replacing the entire gear this weekend

Last edited by Casey A. Coker; 02-07-2020 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 02-08-2020, 04:52 AM
Mizmyka
Registered Member

Limp mode

Originally Posted by Casey A. Coker
Looking into it deeper I found that the position encoder ring on bank 1 Intake Cam Gear was off about 30 degrees. Replacing the entire gear this weekend
my 09 did the same thing. Drove me crazy (literally). It had to do with a cheaply made gasket that is only accessible by pulling engine out. Ridiculous for real. There's a youtube video to easy reset the computer and clear the codes. Its basically a series of perfectly timed pressing of pedals. Good luck
Old 02-22-2020, 12:03 AM
Brian Czap
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Mizmyka
my 09 did the same thing. Drove me crazy (literally). It had to do with a cheaply made gasket that is only accessible by pulling engine out. Ridiculous for real. There's a youtube video to easy reset the computer and clear the codes. Its basically a series of perfectly timed pressing of pedals. Good luck
What is this clearing of codes? Same thing as having an OBD scanner and clearing check engine codes you mean? I’m in the same situation with my 09 g37 where it’s in limp mode and have already replaced camshaft and crankshaft sensors and just paid to have timing done. Worked beautifully for a few mile test drive then upon trying to restart it, it’s back to how it was throwing the same codes and in limp mode. Pretty sure it’s the encoder ring on intake sprocket that’s slipped. Wondering what this code reset is that your taking about.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:21 AM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 339 Likes on 274 Posts
Excellent troubleshooting!
Jim Wolf has a short article that show the issue:
http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/wol...derslipped.pdf
Old 02-22-2020, 09:40 AM
Brian Czap
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SonicVQ
Excellent troubleshooting!
Jim Wolf has a short article that show the issue:
http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/wol...derslipped.pdf
Ive seen this already. Wondering if i can simply remove the encoder ring and press it back on at the correct orientation and everything be good to go. Without having to redo the timing and remove the whole cam gear since the timing is already fine.
Old 02-22-2020, 11:40 AM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 339 Likes on 274 Posts
^^^ I was wondering the same thing...
Something like drilling a small hole (1/16" ?) between the encoder ring and the body, tap threads and use a small set screw and loctite red to keep it in place.

Do you think there is enough room to do this?
Old 09-25-2020, 08:16 PM
MStrike
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How did you find this was the case? Also, what parts did you buy to fix it?
Old 03-21-2024, 03:08 AM
Suspect.t.az

Same issue, here was my fix.

Short answer, my fix was my Cam phasers.

Long answer is as followed:
Little back story, i got a 2008 infiniti g37 and at 187k miles, it decided to start knocking. So I went and got a replacement engine from a 2012 nissan 370z with only about 80k miles. Replaced all the gaskets on the new engine, had the timing and water pump done somewhere else, and I swapped the car. Had to swap over the wiring harness and the belt accessories but other then that, didn't have to swap any sensors or anything else over.

Did the swap, took about 3 days but that was me taking my time with it. Day 1 was pull the engine, day 2 was swap over all the parts and replace all the gaskets. Day 3 was putting the engine back in the car and getting it running. Did what any smart person should do and I pulled the fuel pump fuse and cranked the engine over for a while to allow oil pressure to build and fill up all the new timing components. Put the fuse back In and the car fired right up. Bled the coolant and tried to drive it around and boom, car was set into limp mode. Code was p0340.

Spent a week trying to diagnose this car. I replaced the cam sensors, crank sensors, traced the wiring back to the PCM and load tested the circuits. Made sure the sensor itself was working properly. Couldn't figure it out. Started digging into forums and found some people were having the same issue due to their MAF sensors so I replaced the MAF sensors with brand new OEM ones. Still didn't fix my issue. Now, I did have the timing done elsewhere and I was trying to cover everything else before going and pointing the finger at the timing but everything was checking out. So i limped the car to the person who did the timing on the new engine for him to Crack it open and at least check his work. About 2 weeks went by and the guy didn't touch the car. I decided that I'm going to just check it myself but also buy a brand new Nissan chain kit. The chain kit installed previously was an autozone one.

Got the car to my shop and cracked open the timing cover and found that indeed the timing was off (2 teeth on passenger side and 1 tooth on driver side). So I redid the timing and installed the new nissan kit. Got the car put back together and fired it up. Car ran perfect... for about a day. After a day the car shut off on my while driving and went back into limp mode with the same p0340. Got it back to my shop and was just at a loss. Figured that my last resort would be to replace the cam phasers. I mean the code is for the phasers after all. So I riped the timing cover back open and replaced the cam phasers with the ones from the old engine. Put it all back together and the car is running perfect again.

After all this time, research, and hastle, it was the phasers afterall. Unsure what caused it to fail but I'm not asking questions anymore. This has been a long amd stressful process to a simple engine swap.