Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Oil leak at rear timing cover

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2019, 10:22 AM
GodlikeRage
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oil leak at rear timing cover

Hello, 09 G37s coupe

So today after getting an alignment done at Firestone, one of the mechanics noticed an oil leak under the AC Compressor.

“Oh probably valve covers needs to be changed, I can do that” I said. Nope, dead wrong.

After cleaning the engine, observing the oil dye and idling for 30 minutes, Engine oil is confirmed and is beginning to seep through this crevice as shown in the picture.

After researching and looking at the diagrams for this engine, the engine apparently has a FRONT and REAR timing cover both held on/sealed by a RTV silicone gasket. The RTV gasket after 10 years has failed.

(I originally thought it was just one whole cover + the two camshaft timing covers). I’m not the original owner (third), but it probably wasn’t an issue for the previous two owners. I’ve only had the car for a year and a half and I paid just about $10,000 for it.

This unfortunately means that practically 1/4th of the engine has to be diassaembled to basically reseal the rear timing cover and the front end of the car removed, the radiator, bumper/headlights etc..

This also means both timing chains/water pump/camshaft sprockets/thermostat/oil gallery gaskets/camshaft timing cover gaskets/oil pump has to be removed to remove the rear timing cover. This is where the cost skyrockets because as preventative maintenance calls for, most if not all of these parts should be replaced.

Only Infiniti is able to/capable of doing this, no local shops wants to deal with this and anything replaced has to be OEM, no exceptions.

What should I do... :/ the leak is there but everyone is telling me that you can’t externally seal it.

Old 12-22-2019, 11:34 AM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by GodlikeRage

Hello, 09 G37s coupe

So today after getting an alignment done at Firestone, one of the mechanics noticed an oil leak under the AC Compressor.

“Oh probably valve covers needs to be changed, I can do that” I said. Nope, dead wrong.

After cleaning the engine, observing the oil dye and idling for 30 minutes, Engine oil is confirmed and is beginning to seep through this crevice as shown in the picture.

After researching and looking at the diagrams for this engine, the engine apparently has a FRONT and REAR timing cover both held on/sealed by a RTV silicone gasket. The RTV gasket after 10 years has failed.

(I originally thought it was just one whole cover + the two camshaft timing covers). I’m not the original owner (third), but it probably wasn’t an issue for the previous two owners. I’ve only had the car for a year and a half and I paid just about $10,000 for it.

This unfortunately means that practically 1/4th of the engine has to be diassaembled to basically reseal the rear timing cover and the front end of the car removed, the radiator, bumper/headlights etc..

This also means both timing chains/water pump/camshaft sprockets/thermostat/oil gallery gaskets/camshaft timing cover gaskets/oil pump has to be removed to remove the rear timing cover. This is where the cost skyrockets because as preventative maintenance calls for, most if not all of these parts should be replaced.

Only Infiniti is able to/capable of doing this, no local shops wants to deal with this and anything replaced has to be OEM, no exceptions.

What should I do... :/ the leak is there but everyone is telling me that you can’t externally seal it.
Try the nissan dealer. They're usually 30 percent or so less than Infiniti . For me they were 50 percent cheaper for the oil gallery gaskets and water pump.
those things you listed only the water pump and gallery gaskets should be changed. Everything else should be inspected like chain and guides if they're good dont do them.
I had the gallery gaskets and water pump replaced at a nissan dealer. 2010 g37 coupe. Infiniti wanted $3400
nissan did it for 1,600 out the door.
Old 12-22-2019, 11:44 AM
BULL
Moderador

Received 728 Likes on 566 Posts
Yep, welcome to the club. I followed this stupid VTC oil leak until I found my problem was the timing cover also.
Get come timing chain tensioners while youre at it.
Even with a discount I spent $300 in parts without replacing chains and others.

The following users liked this post:
PNW_IPL (12-22-2019)
Old 12-22-2019, 11:51 AM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by BULL
Yep, welcome to the club. I followed this stupid VTC oil leak until I found my problem was the timing cover also.

Well damn. This is just the second I've seen of the rear cover leaking. Did your silicone fail? Or was something else failing?
What was your total cost? Infiniti, Nissan or independent?
Old 12-22-2019, 12:01 PM
BULL
Moderador

Originally Posted by PNW_IPL
Well damn. This is just the second I've seen of the rear cover leaking. Did your silicone fail? Or was something else failing?
What was your total cost? Infiniti, Nissan or independent?

I had a leaky waterpump through the service hole plus a leaking rear cover on top of the Thermostat.
Thought it was VTC and it wasn't, then debated if it was the front only, after doing some more cleaning I find silicone from where they tried dabbing on the outside to see if it would do it.
I did an inventory to determined what needed replacing, what was good and what could fly.
All tensioners are on spec. Cam guides were changed
All new Nissan seals
Nissan Waterpump
Kept Chain.

The Job is not that difficult, Labeling is the most important part of the project along with if you want to go with the option of cutting a 5 in slot from the radiatior support to put a impact gun. (cutting saves about 6 hours of not dismantling the rest of the front end)

I'm taking my time as everything is being cleaned, replaced and painted.
Old 12-22-2019, 01:53 PM
GodlikeRage
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BULL

At least I’m not alone. lol......

the rear timing cover can come off with the oil pump stil there?
Old 12-22-2019, 02:19 PM
BULL
Moderador

Originally Posted by GodlikeRage
At least I’m not alone. lol......

the rear timing cover can come off with the oil pump stil there?
Yes it can, most choose to remove it due to only being hold by a couple of bolts however this would require me to replace additional seals that can wait until later when I do the mid pan.