Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

car completely dead/ key fob not recognized

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 06:24 PM
GLodi_31
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
car completely dead/ key fob not recognized

Ok so is this problem just simply the battery dead or something else?

My car hasn't been driven in three weeks. Every so often I started it and let it run the last time was three days ago. It started like it wasn't going to turn over but ended up being fine. I went to start it today and it had that dead battery clicking noise where it wouldn't crank over the first time. I went to go get my jumper cables and set them up after having the cables hooked up for about 7 minutes. I went to get into the car to see if it would start. Had absolutely no lights on the dash and wasn't recognizing my key fob. the start button lock button was the only thing that would light up no matter how many times I pressed it. I put the key fob in the slot by the trunk release and the light on the insert starting to flash. nothing is responsive. Is this just a dead battery.

Side note: I changed my battery last summer. Also I have been having some problems with my key fob recently where it won't always unlock/lock car. Only fob I have

PLZ HELP!!

Last edited by GLodi_31; 09-10-2019 at 06:26 PM. Reason: more info
Old 09-10-2019, 06:46 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 320 Likes on 277 Posts
sounds like a dead battery, may have to charge it for a lot longer than 7 minutes
Old 09-10-2019, 09:20 PM
Rollo
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
could also coincidentally have a dead key fob battery.
The following users liked this post:
mlsalapong (11-10-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 01:37 AM
crookncastle
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts
you hooked up the "jumper cables" and hooked up for about 7 minutes? what is that suppose to mean? did you put a trickle charger on the battery? or did you try to jump start your car with another car by having the battery jumper cables attached for 7 minutes from another vehicle?
Old 09-11-2019, 07:33 AM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by GLodi_31
Ok so is this problem just simply the battery dead or something else?

My car hasn't been driven in three weeks. Every so often I started it and let it run the last time was three days ago. It started like it wasn't going to turn over but ended up being fine. I went to start it today and it had that dead battery clicking noise where it wouldn't crank over the first time. I went to go get my jumper cables and set them up after having the cables hooked up for about 7 minutes. I went to get into the car to see if it would start. Had absolutely no lights on the dash and wasn't recognizing my key fob. the start button lock button was the only thing that would light up no matter how many times I pressed it. I put the key fob in the slot by the trunk release and the light on the insert starting to flash. nothing is responsive. Is this just a dead battery.

Side note: I changed my battery last summer. Also I have been having some problems with my key fob recently where it won't always unlock/lock car. Only fob I have

PLZ HELP!!
Test your battery

car completely dead/ key fob not recognized-2ye57nq.jpg

You most likely have one or more dead cells?

If you do not drive the car regularly disconnect the battery
Old 09-11-2019, 08:05 AM
GLodi_31
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by crookncastle
you hooked up the "jumper cables" and hooked up for about 7 minutes? what is that suppose to mean? did you put a trickle charger on the battery? or did you try to jump start your car with another car by having the battery jumper cables attached for 7 minutes from another vehicle?
Yes I mean I attempted to jump the car with the working car running for around 7 min a couple times before giving up on jumping my car
Old 09-11-2019, 09:15 AM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
You'll need a battery charger I bet your voltage is below 8
Old 09-11-2019, 01:49 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 838 Likes on 716 Posts
A battery with an open cell (a break in the internal circuit) will behave as you describe. It will not allow current to pass through. Try another battery.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:33 PM
crookncastle
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts
go get a good battery, and not some piece of c rap from o' shi tty or autoturd. they will try to trick you with their warranty and how they'll test and recharge it for free. if they sold solid reputable batteries then you would not have to worry about the warranty or having it needing to be recharged by them. in addition their pieces of trash usually leaks battery acid from the post half the time, then it causes corrosion on the battery clamps and starts eating away at the cables. btw the clowns behind the counter wouldn't know how to properly load test a battery if their lives depended on it. they will use that piece of sh it handheld battery tester that will just test for surface charge and does not actually load test the cells.