Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Single click, no start problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 07:53 PM
Swislok

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Single click, no start problem

Hey everyone I've read on here quite a bit and have been able to find a solution to my problems without the need to post, but I've run across an issue that will come and go (a couple times a year sometimes further apart).

The car is making a single click and not starting.
I'm not having the amber key light show up and have checked the fuse box also the steering lock is another that I checked and is not an issue either.
Like I said this problem will come where it will not start and sit for a day or two and then be able to start no problem.

It has been about a year and a half since this happened last and I'm not sure what to do with it. I've read all the posts and videos about the steering lock as well as the fuses, but that does not seem to be the issue. I have taken it to a shop (while it was able to start) and they said there is nothing wrong or at least anything they can tell wrong.

I'm hoping that someone can be sympathetic with me and know what the issue is.

I've also read somewhere that it may also be an issue with something in the starter switch (push button) or wire going to the solenoid for the starter. I am hearing the solenoid, but obviously not starting.

Thanks.
Old 08-23-2019, 02:05 AM
crookncastle
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts
possible the starter solenoid starting to go out. if you can find a magnetic solenoid for it at one of those alternator/starter parts and rebuild shop then pick it up and swap it out.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:30 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 1,068 Posts
More than likely it is the starter/solenoid slowly giving up the ghost, as crookncastle has mentioned. More often than not, anytime you hear a "clicking" sound while trying to start the engine the problem is either: 1) a weak battery, 2) a failing starter/solenoid, or corroded wiring/terminals.

As you state the issue happens very sporadically, I would first check all of the wiring connections at both the battery and the starter/solenoid. Could be just a small amount of corrosion interfering with the circuit. If the problem worsens, then you should consider replacing the starter or having yours rebuilt by a reputable shop.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:29 AM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Swislok
Hey everyone I've read on here quite a bit and have been able to find a solution to my problems without the need to post, but I've run across an issue that will come and go (a couple times a year sometimes further apart).

The car is making a single click and not starting.
I'm not having the amber key light show up and have checked the fuse box also the steering lock is another that I checked and is not an issue either.
Like I said this problem will come where it will not start and sit for a day or two and then be able to start no problem.

It has been about a year and a half since this happened last and I'm not sure what to do with it. I've read all the posts and videos about the steering lock as well as the fuses, but that does not seem to be the issue. I have taken it to a shop (while it was able to start) and they said there is nothing wrong or at least anything they can tell wrong.

I'm hoping that someone can be sympathetic with me and know what the issue is.

I've also read somewhere that it may also be an issue with something in the starter switch (push button) or wire going to the solenoid for the starter. I am hearing the solenoid, but obviously not starting.

Thanks.
Test all the cells in your battery with a battery hydrometer

If there is a weak cell, replace the battery

Single click, no start problem-2ye57nq.jpg

Telcoman
Old 08-23-2019, 01:06 PM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
Maybe 1 of your grounding straps is bad
Old 08-23-2019, 09:37 PM
Swislok

Originally Posted by telcoman
Test all the cells in your battery with a battery hydrometer

If there is a weak cell, replace the battery

Telcoman
Shoot I forgot to mention that the first time this happened I did replace the battery with no change to the situation. The next day it just decided to start.

It can be something that I look at as well.

Last edited by Swislok; 08-23-2019 at 09:43 PM.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:42 PM
Swislok

I had it at the dealership just today since it started, but while at the dealership it failed to start for them once then started after that.

Also to bring up, they said that the ECM and BCM both needed to be updated and claimed that this was a possible contributing issue to my model year (2010-2012).
Not sure if anyone has any information about that at all.

I am more about wanting to have the wiring looked at then going onto the starter/solenoid after.

Originally Posted by Surfnazi
Maybe 1 of your grounding straps is bad
What/where are these located at? It will be something I can check out to check that off the list next.
Old 08-24-2019, 05:58 AM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
There are like 4 of them, the main one that goes bad is on the firewall also check lower one when you do oil change
Old 08-24-2019, 09:59 AM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 339 Likes on 274 Posts
I had this EXACT same issue three years ago. Here is the post:
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...ml#post4088186

The connection between the solenoid and the starter motor had a little corrosion and was arcing. I removed the starter (easy to do on the RWD G37s) sanded the washer with 300 grit and put it back together. Three years later it starts EVERY time.

Last edited by SonicVQ; 08-24-2019 at 10:10 AM.