Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

How do I remove the EVAP canister on G37s coupe?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2019 | 12:02 PM
GodlikeRage
Registered Member

How do I remove the EVAP canister on G37s coupe?

I've been in a jam trying to replace the Vent Valve control, but stupidly enough there's something in the way preventing it from turning all the way so the whole thing has to come off and I'm beginning to lose my patience with this damn thing getting sick of the gas fumes. Idk what screw/clip I'm missing or something that's not making it come out?
Old 06-30-2019 | 12:30 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

The vent control valve should slip right off once you UNLOCK it from the canister (that is how it was on my neighbors Maxima). You rotate the valve approx. 45° counter-clockwise and pull straight out:

Worst case scenario and you have to remove the canister, it appears there is only one (1) bolt holding it up.

Hope this helps.
Alex
Old 06-30-2019 | 01:07 PM
GodlikeRage
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
The vent control valve should slip right off once you UNLOCK it from the canister (that is how it was on my neighbors Maxima). You rotate the valve approx. 45° counter-clockwise and pull straight out:

Worst case scenario and you have to remove the canister, it appears there is only one (1) bolt holding it up.

Hope this helps.
Alex
It's currently at the 45° position but it's not coming out?
Old 06-30-2019 | 02:10 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

It literally should pull straight out once it is unlocked. The o-ring could be snagged somehow. It is a snug fit but not ridiculously tight. I would try pulling straight out while slowly rotating- maybe use a quick shot of wd-40 to lube the o-ring. Other than that I do not know- it just pops in/out.

Look at the new sensor- that might give you a idea how to line up the locking tabs?
Old 06-30-2019 | 03:31 PM
GodlikeRage
Registered Member

Yea I'm looking at the new sensor at it's just 4 little tabs 2 wide and 2 narrow. There's no reason it shouldn't come out unless the O ring somehow got in between the locking tabs. It is pretty thick for an O ring. I will shoot some WD40 inside see if that works.
Old 07-01-2019 | 02:32 PM
GodlikeRage
Registered Member

Yea I'm convinced the whole canister must be removed, it's a 90 degree turn to unlock. sucks
Old 07-01-2019 | 03:25 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

I can't understand why this valve is being such a bitch to remove. It literally should twist and pop right out.... something isn't right...
Old 07-02-2019 | 12:01 PM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Depending on how old your car is plastic and rubber can be pita. You can try a little dish soap to free it
Old 07-05-2019 | 01:38 PM
GodlikeRage
Registered Member

I don't think it's the rubber, the tabs aren't fully released, preventing it from coming out. I tried WD40 inside, no luck.
Old 07-05-2019 | 01:40 PM
GodlikeRage
Registered Member

I'm going to try one last time, I really don't wanna have to take to a mechanic or Infiniti since it's just right there. That fixing bolt is attached to a bracket, I'm not sure how to remove this bracket and then the whole assembly comes out.

Last edited by GodlikeRage; 07-05-2019 at 01:51 PM.
Old 07-05-2019 | 02:02 PM
NealP
Premier Member

Perhaps this is what you're looking for?

Old 07-05-2019 | 02:24 PM
GodlikeRage
Registered Member

Yes, but since it's not the same vehicle, it doesn't help me. The bolts are in different positions.

Last edited by GodlikeRage; 07-05-2019 at 02:35 PM.
Old 07-06-2019 | 04:03 PM
GodlikeRage
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
I can't understand why this valve is being such a bitch to remove. It literally should twist and pop right out.... something isn't right...
Finally got that bitch out without having to take out the whole canister, however one of the tabs on the vent valve broke in the process of prying it out. It was the O ring preventing it from coming out. My guess was the placement of the O ring was installed incorrectly, the O ring sits outside of the canister If I'm not mistaken and the little tabs sits inside the canister where it locks into place. So while I was able to turn it and unlock the valve, the O ring was still sealing it into place giving me that 3 hour difficulty trying to figure out why it wasn't coming out. The O ring was rock hard for some reason as well.. I'll be installing the new one when it stops raining because it started to rain and I was getting wet lol.
Old 07-06-2019 | 04:25 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Glad you got it out. Sometimes it is the smallest detail that causes a hell of a hassle.

Good luck!
Old 07-06-2019 | 06:32 PM
GodlikeRage
Registered Member

WOW after really looking at it, come to find out there's two of the locking clips that keeps the valve in place (You kinda hear a snap when turning it to release it). The upper one is the one that requires you to turn it left to release(It can't turn right) and then there's one below that also seemingly has the same function, except it must be turned right to release it. It comes out much much easier since there nothing in the way! So my previous reply, it wasn't really the O ring, it was really the clearance that wasn't there to fully release the valve, but I moved its position the other way allowing me to actually place it inside and turn it fully locking in place. Was sceptical it wouldn't work like that but the Code is gone now, running great.

Quick Reply: How do I remove the EVAP canister on G37s coupe?