Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

2011 G37x jerky acceleration/miss. No codes

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 01:36 PM
DSummers99
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 G37x jerky acceleration/miss. No misfire codes

Hey everyone, i have a 2011 g37x with 88,000 miles on it that misses when I am accelerating normally, if I push the gas lightly the car will jerk, RPMs will shakingly go up and it also seems to shift late. However if I drive the car hard or in manual mode it doesn’t miss. When I bought the car I had to replace the driver side cat that was throwing a code and the downstream o2 sensor. now about 5 months later the driver side upstream o2 sensor is throwing a code but still no problems with the passenger side. This makes me think the miss is on the driver side and is what’s causing the exhaust components to fail. Tried removing and Cleaning the throttle bodies, Problem was gone for 2 days then back to normal. Also the other day was the first time I’ve had my car in freezing temperatures and that’s when the upstream o2 sensor began throwing a code and the car had terribly weak acceleration, no matter how hard I pushed the gas. I have never received any misfire codes or anything like that only the catalytic converter when I bought the car and now the o2 sensor. Sometimes when I reset the ecu after working on my car the check engine light will randomly flash and flicker, no pattern to it just random but it never stores a code. Spark plug gaps are fine and they look pretty clean and I figure if a coil pack was bad it would at least give me a code to read. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated as I’m stuck with what to try next. Thanks!

Last edited by DSummers99; 11-02-2018 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 11-02-2018, 02:19 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Originally Posted by DSummers99
Hey everyone, i have a 2011 g37x with 88,000 miles on it that misses when I am accelerating normally, if I push the gas lightly the car will jerk, RPMs will shakingly go up and it also seems to shift late. However if I drive the car hard or in manual mode it doesn’t miss. When I bought the car I had to replace the driver side cat that was throwing a code and the downstream o2 sensor. now about 5 months later the driver side upstream o2 sensor is throwing a code but still no problems with the passenger side. This makes me think the miss is on the driver side and is what’s causing the exhaust components to fail. Tried removing and Cleaning the throttle bodies, Problem was gone for 2 days then back to normal. Also the other day was the first time I’ve had my car in freezing temperatures and that’s when the upstream o2 sensor began throwing a code and the car had terribly weak acceleration, no matter how hard I pushed the gas. I have never received any misfire codes or anything like that only the catalytic converter when I bought the car and now the o2 sensor. Sometimes when I reset the ecu after working on my car the check engine light will randomly flash and flicker, no pattern to it just random but it never stores a code. Spark plug gaps are fine and they look pretty clean and I figure if a coil pack was bad it would at least give me a code to read. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated as I’m stuck with what to try next. Thanks!

Did you follow all of the reset procedures?:

Also, super misleading post. Title states no codes then you state numerous times that your getting codes. Which is it? How do you know the o2 sensors are throwing codes if nothing is being stored (they should be getting stored....)?

If I had to guess, MAF sensors are dirty and the recent throttle body cleaning, without the proper reset procedure, has the ECU all jacked up.

Last edited by RMB5190; 11-02-2018 at 02:28 PM.
Old 11-02-2018, 02:45 PM
DSummers99
Registered Member

Originally Posted by RMB5190
Did you follow all of the reset procedures?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIiaF0VaTlQ

Also, super misleading post. Title states no codes then you state numerous times that your getting codes. Which is it? How do you know the o2 sensors are throwing codes if nothing is being stored (they should be getting stored....)?

If I had to guess, MAF sensors are dirty and the recent throttle body cleaning, without the proper reset procedure, has the ECU all jacked up.
Thanks for the reply, yes I followed all the procedures and made sure the idle was normal after them. The reason I cleaned the throttle bodies was to try and fix the jerky acceleration problem as it’s been an ongoing issue before I even touched the throttle bodies. What I mean by “no codes” is no codes related to the jerky acceleration (sorry I did not clarify), only codes I’ve ever gotten is the cat on the driver side which I replaced a few months ago and now the upstream o2 sensor code, these store and I am able to read them. However what doesn’t store is when the check engine light starts blinking/flickering in no particular pattern, I haven’t been able to read the code because after it stops flashing And I try to read it later there are no codes. And when the light flashes nothing changes that I’ve noticed, the jerky acceleration isn’t any worse and no other symptoms appear. I’ll pick up a bottle of maf cleaner and try that when I get home
Old 11-02-2018, 03:34 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Yea, I'd start there. If there was a misfire or something going wrong in the cylinder you'd know it. You could also look into the torque or gauged app and see what you A/F ratios are looking like under load.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:49 PM
DSummers99
Registered Member

Yea, I'd start there. If there was a misfire or something going wrong in the cylinder you'd know it. You could also look into the torque or gauged app and see what you A/F ratios are looking like under load.
so I cleaned the maf sensors and the jerky acceleration is still happening unfortunately. Although I did notice that one of the maf sensors has been replaced with a non original part that had a different part number and looked different, the driver side maf had a metal plate on it and the other didn’t. Could this be related at all with them being different brands?
Old 11-02-2018, 11:01 PM
qmantran
Registered Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts
List all current existing codes the vehicle has
Old 11-03-2018, 01:44 AM
DSummers99
Registered Member

Originally Posted by qmantran
List all current existing codes the vehicle has
p0150 and p1168. Both codes showed up this week but the jerky acceleration has happened for as long as I’ve owned the car.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:06 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Both of those are associated with sensor 1 and bank 2. Maybe the sensor has just gone bad? It's an A/F sensor so it might be causing the issue.

Provide a picture of the MAF sensors installed and side by side. I wonder if the one that was replaced isn't sealing or something.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:45 AM
DSummers99
Registered Member

Both of those are associated with sensor 1 and bank 2. Maybe the sensor has just gone bad? It's an A/F sensor so it might be causing the issue.

Provide a picture of the MAF sensors installed and side by side. I wonder if the one that was replaced isn't sealing or something.
I’m planning on changing out the A/F sensor as soon as I have the time. Also here are the pictures of the MAF’s installed and side by side, the one with the metal plate is from bank 2. Both seem to fit very snug and the seal isn’t torn or cracked anywhere that I could see.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:46 AM
DSummers99
Registered Member

Originally Posted by DSummers99

I’m planning on changing out the A/F sensor as soon as I have the time. Also here are the pictures of the MAF’s installed and side by side, the one with the metal plate is from bank 2. Both seem to fit very snug and the seal isn’t torn or cracked anywhere that I could see.

Bank 1

Bank 2

Old 11-04-2018, 01:52 PM
crookncastle
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts
looks like you might have an aftermarket air mass installed on one bank. if i was you i would put the oem back in and then check the driveability of your ride.
Old 11-04-2018, 04:32 PM
DSummers99
Registered Member

Originally Posted by crookncastle
looks like you might have an aftermarket air mass installed on one bank. if i was you i would put the oem back in and then check the driveability of your ride.
the aftermarket one came installed in my car, so I don’t have the oem one to put back in. Do you think it’d be worth it buying an oem one to see if it improves? It does feel cheap vs the other banks maf
Old 11-04-2018, 10:00 PM
DSummers99
Registered Member

Just drove my car tonight and it was idling pretty rough every time I came to a stop, I get home and I now have a p0300 code for random misfire in addition to the O2 sensor codes. Not really much to go off of but any ideas what could be wrong? I’m going to try an oem MAF sensor soon.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:56 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 320 Likes on 277 Posts
I know with O2 Sensors they recommend replacing them in pairs because they may measure or have tolerances slightly different from others which can cause codes, I would expect the same with MAF sensors...maybe try grabbing a used OEM one off ebay
Old 11-05-2018, 10:45 AM
DSummers99
Registered Member

Just ordered an oem MAF and it’ll be here Friday. Ill install it then and see if it improves any.

Quick Reply: 2011 G37x jerky acceleration/miss. No codes