Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Had to Bring the G37 to the mechanic :/

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018 | 06:35 AM
DollHouz
Young, Dumb and Stung

Had to Bring the G37 to the mechanic :/

So yesterday i had to be towed to the mechanic because my gas pedal was not working... my car would turn on but stayed at 1,000 rpms and the Service Engine Light would go right on could change to park but gas pedal would do nothing. Has anyone seen this before? Its at the mechanic to get checked out but wanna know what it could be very odd never noticed another problem.
Old 04-23-2018 | 09:08 AM
Carboy37
Registered Member

Run codes and see what pops up; this sounds like my problem when my throttle position sensor died at 4 years and 47000 miles. It's an oddball problem.

However, it could be other things, too, like a dead accelerator pedal, some throttle position sensor reset, or an actual broken throttle body. Very wide range of possibilities.
Old 04-23-2018 | 09:26 AM
DollHouz
Young, Dumb and Stung

Originally Posted by Carboy37
Run codes and see what pops up; this sounds like my problem when my throttle position sensor died at 4 years and 47000 miles. It's an oddball problem.

However, it could be other things, too, like a dead accelerator pedal, some throttle position sensor reset, or an actual broken throttle body. Very wide range of possibilities.
Hmmm hoping its nothing major its already at the mechanic didn't get a chance to run any codes was in a parking lot as it happened hahaha just weird because it was running fine no problems at all then the gas pedal just stops working
Old 04-23-2018 | 12:04 PM
DollHouz
Young, Dumb and Stung

Update: I was told it was something electronic and it blew out a cylinder sounds odd to me

My father trusts the mechanic but im very iffy and im getting blamed because i swapped the battery could that have caused this?

Last edited by DollHouz; 04-23-2018 at 12:11 PM.
Old 04-23-2018 | 03:58 PM
DollHouz
Young, Dumb and Stung

Update 2: Called the mechanic myself after research pretty much my dad tried to make it worse although its likely still a pricey repair said a camshaft position sensor went bad
Old 04-23-2018 | 04:12 PM
user 3587587
Banned

LOL you've got nothing to worry about. It for sure wasn't caused by anything you did. And it also should not be too pricey to fix. The part itself is about $92 usd from autozone. Labour shouldn't cost more than $100.
Old 04-23-2018 | 04:19 PM
duriisimo
Registered Member

Originally Posted by DollHouz
Update 2: Called the mechanic myself after research pretty much my dad tried to make it worse although its likely still a pricey repair said a camshaft position sensor went bad
Easy fix and not costly.. You are good
Old 04-23-2018 | 05:16 PM
DollHouz
Young, Dumb and Stung

Originally Posted by maskedbuilder
LOL you've got nothing to worry about. It for sure wasn't caused by anything you did. And it also should not be too pricey to fix. The part itself is about $92 usd from autozone. Labour shouldn't cost more than $100.
yea my dad disagrees with me wanting to do my own basic stuff for my cars and not bringing it to a mechanic I don't want to be the person that has to bring my car to a mechanic when I just need to close the gas cap more type of person if that makes sense
Old 04-23-2018 | 05:44 PM
user 3587587
Banned

yeah it makes perfect sense. Im lucky that my dad taught me how to do the basics when I was a kid so I can change my brakes and flush coolant and **** like that. If your dad won't let you work on the car just take it to a friends house. That's what I did when my dad was against me getting an intake/exhaust.
Old 04-23-2018 | 05:53 PM
DollHouz
Young, Dumb and Stung

Originally Posted by maskedbuilder
yeah it makes perfect sense. Im lucky that my dad taught me how to do the basics when I was a kid so I can change my brakes and flush coolant and **** like that. If your dad won't let you work on the car just take it to a friends house. That's what I did when my dad was against me getting an intake/exhaust.
thats the stuff I want to be able to do I likely will still go ahead and do it then once I learn enough about my car I'll start with modding it
Old 04-23-2018 | 09:37 PM
PinkFloyd
Registered Member

thats the stuff I want to be able to do I likely will still go ahead and do it then once I learn enough about my car I'll start with modding it
I would hope that your dad would be pleased that you want to learn about and do this kind of stuff. You will mess up at times. It's part of the process. Doesn't sound like you goofed here though.

Having wrenched on cars and motorcycles all of my life (I couldn't afford the mechanic when I was younger, now I just sort of enjoy it), you probably want to get some maintenance items down first. Get very comfortable using tools and, over time, accumulate a decent set of them. Learn how to get stubborn bolts and screws loose without damaging them. Using a torque wrench properly will especially help you avoid stripping out threaded holes in aluminum parts that can be expensive to replace. I taught our sons as much as possible about these sort of things so that they'd grow to be the capable young men they are.

Take advantage of is forums like this one and some of the better YouTube videos that can do a darn good job of taking you step-by-step through a task you've not done before.

Enjoy.
Old 04-23-2018 | 09:43 PM
DollHouz
Young, Dumb and Stung

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
I would hope that your dad would be pleased that you want to learn about and do this kind of stuff. You will mess up at times. It's part of the process. Doesn't sound like you goofed here though.

Having wrenched on cars and motorcycles all of my life (I couldn't afford the mechanic when I was younger, now I just sort of enjoy it), you probably want to get some maintenance items down first. Get very comfortable using tools and, over time, accumulate a decent set of them. Learn how to get stubborn bolts and screws loose without damaging them. Using a torque wrench properly will especially help you avoid stripping out threaded holes in aluminum parts that can be expensive to replace. I taught our sons as much as possible about these sort of things so that they'd grow to be the capable young men they are.

Take advantage of is forums like this one and some of the better YouTube videos that can do a darn good job of taking you step-by-step through a task you've not done before.

Enjoy.
That's great my dad leases and isn't interested in cars/trucks all that much but ever since Infiniti and honestly stumbling onto this forum it made me think why have someone else do something on my car when I can learn myself and know when something's wrong and how to maybe solve it instead of pretty much throwing money at it to get something simple fixed
Old 04-24-2018 | 01:55 PM
duriisimo
Registered Member

That's great my dad leases and isn't interested in cars/trucks all that much but ever since Infiniti and honestly stumbling onto this forum it made me think why have someone else do something on my car when I can learn myself and know when something's wrong and how to maybe solve it instead of pretty much throwing money at it to get something simple fixed
There are some incredibly knowledgeable members here, whom are always willing to lend a hand. Some have even driven a few hours to help a member out. Pretty damn cool if you ask me. Read, ask questions and DIY. Then share your knowledge when you can.
Old 04-24-2018 | 02:09 PM
DollHouz
Young, Dumb and Stung

Originally Posted by duriisimo
There are some incredibly knowledgeable members here, whom are always willing to lend a hand. Some have even driven a few hours to help a member out. Pretty damn cool if you ask me. Read, ask questions and DIY. Then share your knowledge when you can.
damn thats crazy but awesome first step wait for my car to get out the mechanic now -_- lol
Old 04-25-2018 | 03:15 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

If doing something yourself just remember to read the instructions multiple times. Don't mix units up; ft and inches are two very different units, especially in the context of torque. Critical thinking and common sense required.

Basic maintenance on this car is a piece of cake. Replacing parts based on codes isn't really diagnostics but sometimes works, sometimes not. When not, that's when you take to the experts.
The following users liked this post:
ngolbuff (04-25-2018)