Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Clunking noise coming from rear while shifting (6MT sedan)

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 04:14 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,707 Likes on 3,515 Posts
Originally Posted by Furlow
So I'm assuming this means it's indeed my differential? Lol.

Rochester in regards to the gears, any advantage to doing them along with the differential? Meaning is there an overlap in parts that have to come off? Just wondering if I should pull the trigger now on the gears to save on install cost. I would prefer more time to think about it though.
LOL, look at that! Although you have an expense ahead of you, at least you know exactly what's going on now, so there's that.

Absolutely there's overlap woth the gears and the bushings, however the savings incurred amount maybe to one or two hour labor. Whereas the added cost of the gears, bearings, seals, and experienced labor with the right tools... really makes the "overlap" on these projects irrelevent. Unless you were planning on this all along.

Also, you're 7AT/RWD, right Furlow? You're going to need a 6MT diff housing. The cost and complexity starts to add up. Read through G37Sam's thread. And I believe the 7AT will lose cruise control with this mod, if that matters to you.

Remember, you're in no emergency situation with that blown bushing. You can take as much time to asses this project as you like. Did you read the gear swap thread I started the other day? Safe to say this mod has wildly exceeded my expectations.

Last edited by Rochester; 05-12-2017 at 04:26 PM.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:22 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 493 Posts
^^6MT in the title
Old 05-12-2017, 04:25 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,707 Likes on 3,515 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
^^6MT in the title
Yep. I'm an idiot.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:31 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 493 Posts
Eh... It's friday afternoon... Mind is elsewhere.

I hope when mine fails, it's still under warranty. So far, knock on wood, almost 30K (28xxx). No major issues. I think elite care runs out sometime in 2023..
Old 05-12-2017, 05:16 PM
staskz
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
yes i have that bushing "leak" black color on my differential. but i also have a rattle in the back im wondering if thats that.
Old 05-12-2017, 05:33 PM
Furlow

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
One to two hours of extra labor is worth it for me to wait and think about it a little more (ie read what you have to say about your experience lol). Not to mention breaking it up into two jobs will enable me to have feedback of each mod.

Which reminds me, have you done the 80 MPH test yet for RPM? We're all on pins and needles!

Edit - you mentioned losing cruise control if I had a 7AT, is this an issue with the 6MT? Or is everything the same once it's installed?
Old 05-12-2017, 05:37 PM
Furlow

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by staskz
yes i have that bushing "leak" black color on my differential. but i also have a rattle in the back im wondering if thats that.
These cars tend to rattle a lot, in my experience and reading from others as well. If you have that leak, then you have the same issue as me.

I'm actually happy about it now, it's an excuse to upgrade something that I can actually feel!
Old 03-03-2019, 06:14 PM
fishoreal

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im having the same issue, but I dont see any black splooge on my diff. Could this still be my problem?