Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Help Engine Prep for TT kit w/ 105k

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 10:59 AM
InitialC
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Engine Prep for TT kit w/ 105k

Hello,

So, life has finally gotten to the point where I am about ready to pull the trigger on an FI TT kit for my 08 Sport Coupe (6MT). I've been enjoying her up to this point with 105k miles on the dash. From reading threads, I gathered the a compression test may be a wise diagnostic before going for the install. I talked to a mod friendly dealer here in Chicago (Berman's) and the master tech said that I could do the compression test but he didn't think it would be necessary. He feels that the stock internals are solid and shouldn't be an issue. He DID however say that he thinks I should change my timing cover gaskets as the increases oil pressure from boost could cause them to blow or leak.

So I wanted to bring it to the community and ask for your thoughts/help.

Thanks!
Old 05-03-2017, 12:16 PM
Waste86

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Compression and leak down. That way you don't pull an engine, put everything on, put it back in only to find out your engine was already making poor compression or not holding pressure adequately. I do agree with changing the timing cover gaskets/oil galley gaskets/changing tensioners chains, etc. If you have the engine out, might as well do all the preventative maintenance rather than doing it later. That is what I did.
Old 05-03-2017, 01:50 PM
SlateBlue G

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
+1 on the compression and leakdown.
I would also clean inside the intake manifold both lower and upper.
Last time I checked there was oil in my intake tract by the valves by our oil spitting pcv's. Go get a oil catch can for a FI setup.
Old 05-07-2017, 01:55 AM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
-Replace all fluids, differential included.
-Assuming you've already beefed up the clutch and replaced the OEM slave cylinder inside the transmission?
-And if you've got the engine out, replace with the updated timing cover, spark plug tunnel and valve cover gaskets.
-Check all your tensioner pulleys.
-Blackstone oil test and maybe pull the oil pan and at least one main bearing and rod bearing. You could, theoretically, replace all the rod bearings while you're at it if there's any significant wear.
-Engine mounts.
-Rear differential mounts
-Higher spec brake pads. You need to stop too.
-Everything else mentioned above.

I'd def. replace the timing cover gaskets but oil pressure increases (there won't be any) has nothing to do with it. The old ones are paper and can blow out.
The following users liked this post:
InitialC (05-08-2017)