Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

3-4 gears cause engine to rev when shifting up

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 10:35 AM
Quiver
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
3-4 gears cause engine to rev when shifting up

I posted a thread late summer of this year about how my engine was revving up whenever I was shifting from 3rd to 4th. I was told that there was a TSB for the issue but unfortunately the nearest dealership to me is about 2 hours away so I never made a trip to get it done.

Since then this issue has become worse and now affects 3 - 4 gears instead of just 1. I'm really hoping you guys can shed some light on this so I know what I need to do.

It seems like this only happens when I'm not accelerating very fast. If I'm just gradually getting up to speed that's when I notice it. If I hit the pedal hard then it won't rev up but the 3rd-4th gear change is a little harsh. 3rd - 4th is now revving up almost 1,000 RPM before shifting and it's annoyingly noticeable.

Any ideas what this could be? I'm going to take it to the dealership around the end of this month probably but it would be nice if I could get some ideas of what it could be here first.

It's also worth noting that is a 2009 g37x with about 70,000 miles on it with the automatic transmission.

Last edited by Quiver; 01-03-2017 at 11:12 AM.
Old 01-02-2017, 02:57 PM
Quiver
Registered Member

Can anyone shed some light on this?
Old 01-02-2017, 05:16 PM
astat4

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts
you gotta give the vvel time.. so practice on not pushing the clutch and leaving it in the resting position till you have fully let go of the gas..

a light flywheel should help for this since the engine wont have momentum to keep spinning.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:10 AM
Quiver
Registered Member

Originally Posted by astat4
you gotta give the vvel time.. so practice on not pushing the clutch and leaving it in the resting position till you have fully let go of the gas..

a light flywheel should help for this since the engine wont have momentum to keep spinning.
Sorry, I should have mentioned that this is the automatic transmission that I'm talking about. Thanks for the reply though.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:23 AM
jomama22
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I would first reset the ECU so you can force the tranny to relearn. During the relearn process see if the issue arises or subsides and move from there.

The transmission can become wacky sometimes and a reset seems to help for some things.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:09 PM
Quiver
Registered Member

Originally Posted by jomama22
I would first reset the ECU so you can force the tranny to relearn. During the relearn process see if the issue arises or subsides and move from there.

The transmission can become wacky sometimes and a reset seems to help for some things.
I actually reset it about 2 months ago to get rid of a check engine light due to a loose battery connection. If anything it has just gotten worse though.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:03 PM
jtl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same here.

I have the same issue with mine. 2010 with about 88000 miles. It is always most noticeable when slowly accelerating. Ended up doing a transmission flush and fill at the local dealer which didn't do anything. I'm wondering if this is somewhat normal? It's been like that ever since I bought the car. I hope it's not a by product of transmission failure! Would love to know if anyone else has been experiencing this.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:58 AM
Elco
Registered Member

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
It may be a faulty transmission solenoid...