Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Red Oil light

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 03:51 AM
Louiegee97

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red Oil light

So ive noticed sometimes when i stop at a red light and the car is idling it drops rpms under like 600, the engine shakes for a about 2-3 seconds and the red oil light comes on. I dont think thats normal.. can anyone please let me know whats wrong?
Old 12-05-2016, 07:48 AM
arkangyl
Registered Member

Mega low on oil, maybe worse, stop driving and check your oil levels (and probably add more - 5W-30)

At a stop the engine slows down the most, which in turn creates the lowest oil pressure and will highlight a low level.

Do a full oil change and look for any metal shavings in the old oil - this would indicate preliminary motor failure

I'd highly suggest taking it to a mechanic for a full check
Old 12-05-2016, 08:18 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Did you just recently buy the car? If not, when was the last time the oil was changed? This car takes 5.2 qts of oil, I'm guessing you're at about 3 qts. Hopefully a fresh oil change will take care of this, but like arkangyl suggested, you should get this checked out as being that low on oil is rarely without a problem w/ the motor or it's seals. G/L
Old 12-05-2016, 07:55 PM
Louiegee97

Originally Posted by blnewt
Did you just recently buy the car? If not, when was the last time the oil was changed? This car takes 5.2 qts of oil, I'm guessing you're at about 3 qts. Hopefully a fresh oil change will take care of this, but like arkangyl suggested, you should get this checked out as being that low on oil is rarely without a problem w/ the motor or it's seals. G/L
I bought the car in march, i change the oil myself every 3 months or 3500 miles. I only use Mobil 1 Full synthetic 5w-30 with a K&N filter, but yes im taking it to a mechanic ASAP thanks guys.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:44 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by Louiegee97
I bought the car in march, i change the oil myself every 3 months or 3500 miles. I only use Mobil 1 Full synthetic 5w-30 with a K&N filter, but yes im taking it to a mechanic ASAP thanks guys.
Hopefully it's something simple like a faulty sensor. Keep us posted on what you find out. G/L
Old 12-05-2016, 11:19 PM
si_driver
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts
Hey it's your money, but why would you want to change your oil every 3500 miles with full sync oil?

Even with regular oil you can easily go over 5,000 miles.

When I got my G35 in 2002, I have been sending my oil samples to Blackstone Labs for analysis. Even at 7,500 miles the oil was is great condition. Blackstone even suggested to increase the 10,000 which I have done.

Car now has almost 257,000 miles with zero issues and still runs like the first day I bought it.

but to answer you specific question:

If the oil isn't really low, make sure to check the oil pressure. It could that damn gasket issues that some are experiencing.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:13 PM
petemo94
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts
So ive noticed sometimes when i stop at a red light and the car is idling it drops rpms under like 600, the engine shakes for a about 2-3 seconds and the red oil light comes on. I dont think thats normal.. can anyone please let me know whats wrong?
So when the RPMs drop below 600, the oil pressure is low enough to kick on the oil light. This is what happened on your car and most cars that fall under a certain RPM range. I noticed it while learning to drive a manual transmission car.

What you need to understand is how to address the low-idle condition that creates this. Dirty plugs, dirty intake, PCV valves clogged, fuel pressure, fuel filter (not sure if one exists), could all contribute to a low idle condition. I dont think our cars have ICV's (idle control valve) due to the VVEL and throttle design. If it did, the ICV on some cars does get clogged that creates a similar condition.

So I would research the idle dipping first and not worry as much about the red light (even though RED = bad). GL wth it.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:22 AM
NOBOX7

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
this is your problem bro
Old 04-29-2018, 07:03 PM
takemorepills
Registered Member

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by NOBOX7
Old thread! But, when I saw it come up, I knew it is exactly what you posted. This is why I limited my G coupe search to 2012+, supposedly they get the upgraded to a metal gasket(s).