Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Motor swap help!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 10:31 PM
qmantran
Registered Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts
This is ridiculous. I've seen this all too often from my previous car forum.
I used to own a base model 2008 Acura TL.

On AcuraZine (Acura car forum) owners with the base model TL (3.2L motor) would always ask about swapping the TL Type-S motor (3.5L motor) in their cars as a upgrade.

Not a single person ever went through and actually did it. Why? Because it's stupid. You're spending so much time to figure out EVERYTHING you need, you're spending so much money to buy all said parts and lastly you're spending even more time removing the motor from your car to put the other one in.

Do you have a shop with tools and equipment needed to complete this swap?

Are you a mechanic?

Can you afford having your vehicle out of comission for a few days minimum?

Can you get the motor, all necessary wiring harnesses and everything else needed (sensors, computers, other misc. items) for dirt cheap, almost free?

If you can say 'no' to any of those 4 questions than this swap isn't for you.

Like everyone else in this thread has already said. You are better off selling or trading in your G25 for a G37.

Just curious but what made you want to purchase the G25 instead of the G37 in the first place?

My 2008 TL was my 1st car. At the time I needed a vehicle fast and settled for only the base model with navigation. In less than 1 year of owning it I was already craving for a 07-08 TL Type-S with a 6 speed manual.

I learned from that experience. I told myself the next car I get I will make sure it comes with all the options and everything I wanted so I wouldn't have that thought in the back of my head saying "I should have got the ___ option or ____ model"

Now I have a white exterior black interior 2011 G37S Sedan 7AT fully loaded with every single option offered including high gloss maple interior trim, adaptive cruise control and rain-sensing windshield wipers.

My regret now is not getting a 6 speed manual, but I will most likely solve that with my next car.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:58 PM
SomeName
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Agree with everything qmantran said. This is just plain silly. Have you looked into just putting a turbo in the G25?
Old 12-03-2016, 11:22 PM
jabba_the_slut
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
^agree with him. Granted doing a custom turbo setup & tuning for it post setup will not be easy or cheap... itll probably run you a similar amount to a motor swap.