Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

How do you know when your motor mount is failing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 05:22 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
PNW_IPL, consider pairing the new bushings with a custom diff brace. There were group buys a few months ago on two different manufacturers. Group buys are over, but the brace itself is pretty inexpensive anyway.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/group-b...uding-oem.html
https://www.myg37.com/forums/group-b...ial-brace.html

Last edited by Rochester; 03-10-2019 at 05:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jpowersjr2 (03-12-2019)
Old 03-10-2019, 05:32 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
PNW_IPL, consider pairing the new bushings with a custom diff brace. There were group buys a few months ago on two different manufacturers. Group buys are over, but the brace itself is pretty inexpensive anyway.

definitely. Thanks for the info!
Old 03-10-2019, 07:11 PM
ngolbuff
Registered Member

Received 54 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester

Is there any good comparisons of both of these braces against each other? I know one is slightly more expensive than the other. Which one is better bang-for-buck all things considered (ease of install, customer support, etc)
Old 03-10-2019, 07:33 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
Originally Posted by ngolbuff
Is there any good comparisons of both of these braces against each other? I know one is slightly more expensive than the other. Which one is better bang-for-buck all things considered (ease of install, customer support, etc)
Nope. Not in this forum yet. Elsewhere, maybe.
Old 12-18-2019, 03:09 PM
G37xMN
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Don’t wanna start my own thread so I’ll post here.. my g37x sedan makes some cracking/popping noises on turns and over some bumps. My suspension is stock and I’ve recently replaced both front LCA and both front CV axles as well as both front wheel hub assemblies. No luck. On hard turns there are a good 3-4 pops that occur. Over bumps it’s usually just one or two. I’ve had my buddy who works at a shop look over my suspension multiple times and he said everything looks good and tight. I’ve read that loose motor mount bolts can cause this sort of noise? Any help would be appreciated
Old 12-18-2019, 05:38 PM
SkysG37
Registered Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
My clunk while turning was a worn tie rod end.
replaced both tie rods with Moog and have been clunkless since.
​​​​​​The moogs were only slightly heavier duty than stock and had grease nipples
Old 12-19-2019, 02:00 AM
G37xMN
Registered Member

How can you tell if your tie rod ends are bad? Like I said I’ve had it looked over a few times and even had an alignment done, and the shop told me they looked over all of my suspension before they even started the alignment.
Old 12-19-2019, 11:00 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 838 Likes on 716 Posts
Get the front off the ground. Grab a wheel at the 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock positions and try to shake the wheel. If you hear clunking, your tie rod ends are bad.
Old 12-20-2019, 02:22 AM
G37xMN
Registered Member

Okay I’ll give that a shot next time I have access to jack stands n a jack.. if I don’t hear anything do you suspect anything else could be the source?
Old 12-20-2019, 09:56 AM
Conboss
Registered Member

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Would like to mention that the steering lock will make some noise too, depending on the angle of the wheels in the lock. If that’s something you hear/can get someone to confirm while you are moving the wheel, rule that out. Focus your attention to the steering rack and tie rod.

(Wanted to point out as I thought mine were bad, friend noticed the wheel turning in the car... doh!)
Old 12-20-2019, 05:05 PM
G37xMN
Registered Member

By steering lock do you just mean the parameters of the steering wheel? The edges where you’re no longer able to turn the wheel further? I don’t think that’s it because it happens when the wheel is straight and I hit a pot hole or bump in the road, as well as when I’m beginning a turn and you feel the body roll. I’ll try and get a video
Old 12-20-2019, 11:55 PM
Conboss
Registered Member

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by G37xMN
By steering lock do you just mean the parameters of the steering wheel? The edges where you’re no longer able to turn the wheel further? I don’t think that’s it because it happens when the wheel is straight and I hit a pot hole or bump in the road, as well as when I’m beginning a turn and you feel the body roll. I’ll try and get a video
No, I’m talking about the lock that keeps the wheel from turning when the ignition is in LOCK. You will feel the wheel move slightly, however then it grabs on the lock in the steering column.
Old 12-21-2019, 02:15 AM
G37xMN
Registered Member

That would make some noise that sounds like it’s coming from the suspension? It almost sounds like a bad ball joint but it’s not because I’ve had both front lca replaced
Old 12-21-2019, 08:34 AM
SkysG37
Registered Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Mine was a very small clunk
No real perceptibmovementle wheel movement when testing by hand
But but once the end links were off, there was a noticeable slop in the spherical joints
Not saying this is definitely the source of your noise, but it's definitely worth a closer look
Good luck!
Old 12-25-2019, 03:21 PM
G37xMN
Registered Member

Hey guys, I lifted my car off the ground and gave both front wheels a side-to-side shake, and the passenger side had a click and a little amount of play.. the driver side had no play or click; i plan on changing both side tie rod ends anyway because I assume they’re about even wear even though it’s not clicking. My question is: do I need INNER tie rod ends or OUTER tie rod ends? I plan on ordering MOOG brand ends. Thank you in advance.

Quick Reply: How do you know when your motor mount is failing?