Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

P0021 / P0524 Code Course of Action - Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 07:48 PM
hragarand

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P0021 / P0524 Code Course of Action (UPDATE)

Good Evening -

My 2009 Infiniti G37XS has just been bitten by the P0021/P0524 codes.

71,500 miles in 7 years
Car went to fail safe mode
Car brought back to original selling dealer (purchased new)
Analysis (2 mechanics) - Rear Timing cover gasket roughly 16 hours work - $3,500+
Dealer contacted Infiniti - stated this is a rare occurrence, not common, out of warranty nothing that Infiniti or the dealer can do.

Have there been any success stories on this issues with moving Infiniti to see this as an issue?
Any suggestions on tactics for discussing with the Service manager or should I go right to Infiniti.

Thanks you for any guidance or thoughts on this.

George - Illinois

Update: Spoke with the service manager and the cost for the rear timing gasket cover replacement was adjusted down to $1,000.

Last edited by hragarand; 11-04-2016 at 05:40 PM.
Old 10-31-2016, 08:43 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by hragarand
Good Evening -

My 2009 Infiniti G37XS has just been bitten by the P0021/P0524 codes.

71,500 miles in 7 years
Car went to fail safe mode
Car brought back to original selling dealer (purchased new)
Analysis (2 mechanics) - Rear Timing cover gasket roughly 16 hours work - $3,500+
Dealer contacted Infiniti - stated this is a rare occurrence, not common, out of warranty nothing that Infiniti or the dealer can do.

Have there been any success stories on this issues with moving Infiniti to see this as an issue?
Any suggestions on tactics for discussing with the Service manager or should I go right to Infiniti.

Thanks you for any guidance or thoughts on this.

George - Illinois
Sorry to hear of this George, unfortunately you're joining an ever-growing group of those affected by that major engineering design flaw. Unless you have some really good relationships w/ your Infiniti service dept there's little hope for getting any help from taking it upstairs. Our site Administrator Black Betty tried to get help and has a lengthy purchasing track record w/ Nissan/Infinit and they just sent him down the road. Here's his ordeal, wish I had some positive news, but this is one area where Infiniti really dropped the ball and deserves to be slammed, and I for one will not be buying any future Nissan/Infiniti products unless they do take some blame for this. https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-cou...xperience.html One think you might try is checking w/ your local Nissan shop and see what they will charge, seems to run quite a bit less at their shops. Good Luck!
Old 10-31-2016, 08:54 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Seems this issue is quiet for a long time, then all of a sudden multiple reports. This is what, #2 in the last few days?

Still, not many reports of this. In fact, I don't recall reading about this on the 370z site either. Odd.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:06 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
Wow, so many in the last few days... so weird.

Get ready for a large bill OP

I hope this never happens to my engine.... it'll basically total the car lol.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:46 PM
Kaykoose
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
annnnnnnnnnd this is the 3rd gasket blown in a week. Damn damn damn.....
Old 10-31-2016, 11:30 PM
jomama22
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Kaykoose
annnnnnnnnnd this is the 3rd gasket blown in a week. Damn damn damn.....
Probably as it starts to get colder the gaskets that were barely holding on are giving out. Just some random bs thought lol
Old 11-01-2016, 12:39 AM
Bocian
Registered Member

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
Damn, that's a bummer. I had mine go out of warranty. Infiniti for some damn reason replaces the entire rear timing cover. Nissan replaces just the blown gaskets in the rear cover. It cuts the labor in half. Infiniti parts doesn't even sell the gaskets alone, they come as part of the entire rear timing cover. I had to go to Nissan to get just the gaskets. Maybe that changed now.
I did mine with a mechanic friend, too us two after work days/nights. 400$ in parts and 400$ in labor but that was largely due to my luck in having a mechanic friend and free access to a garage.
If you need any help, hit me up. I did a lot of research before and it wasn't too long ago.
I agree, Infiniti really dropped the ball on this one.

EDIT:
Just found my old thread, this contains a lot good info and all the parts and part numbers.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...part-info.html
HTH

Last edited by Bocian; 11-01-2016 at 07:59 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bocian:
blnewt (11-01-2016), Kaykoose (11-01-2016)
Old 11-01-2016, 08:18 AM
AUR11

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
I'm glad my car came with a lifetime powertrain warranty.
Old 11-01-2016, 08:34 AM
Bocian
Registered Member

Yeah for sure, a lifetime powertrain warranty is a beautiful thing.
However it's important to note that this isn't THAT common, but when it does happen, it'll definitely be talked about here and will seem like every G has this problem. Despite a few of these issues happening recently, it's still a relatively rare event.
Old 11-01-2016, 08:59 AM
AUR11

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Bocian
Yeah for sure, a lifetime powertrain warranty is a beautiful thing.
However it's important to note that this isn't THAT common, but when it does happen, it'll definitely be talked about here and will seem like every G has this problem. Despite a few of these issues happening recently, it's still a relatively rare event.
It's like the Porsche IMS failure. It seems like everyone has the issue if you read it on forums. Actually I can't seem to find the powertrain warranty info on the dealer website. I'll have to give them a call and get that info.
Old 11-01-2016, 11:33 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Originally Posted by iCrap
Wow, so many in the last few days... so weird.

Get ready for a large bill OP

I hope this never happens to my engine.... it'll basically total the car lol.
Yikes should I be worried, I have over 100k on my 09 KNOCK on WOOD and my oil pressure is still 14 PSI or a little higher. And I do not drive easy
Old 11-01-2016, 11:43 AM
booster

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I don't think driving style has anything to do with it. I'm not particularly hard on mine, and it's at 67K, I just hot the same problem.
Old 11-01-2016, 11:43 AM
Bocian
Registered Member

Do you have an oil pressure gauge? It's a smart thing to have. The oil pressure should dip before it goes down completely if the gaskets are failing. I also experienced random shut offs during cold starts, I just chalked it up to dirty throttle bodies. The shut offs disappeared after the gaskets were replaced without cleaning the tb's.
An oil pressure gauge really is a good idea
Old 11-01-2016, 11:54 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Do you have an oil pressure gauge? It's a smart thing to have. The oil pressure should dip before it goes down completely if the gaskets are failing. I also experienced random shut offs during cold starts, I just chalked it up to dirty throttle bodies. The shut offs disappeared after the gaskets were replaced without cleaning the tb's.

I do added it over the summer, when some of these where popping up.
Attached Thumbnails P0021 / P0524 Code Course of Action - Suggestions-oil-pressure-guage-jdm.jpg  
Old 11-01-2016, 12:49 PM
booster

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I bought the car as a daily, worry free car. Having to monitor the oil pressure all the time in't my idea of worry free. I have an e39 M5 to play with.
Boi, was I wrong....

Last edited by booster; 11-01-2016 at 01:43 PM.