Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

P0021 / P0524 Code Course of Action - Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 03:13 PM
hragarand

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big thanks to those who responded to my inquiry, and I hope this does not occur for others going forward. Awaiting a call from the dealer to move forward on the repair.

I purchased the vehicle new and find it a bit disconcerting that a luxury sedan could have such a failure and not raise some sort of concern on the part of Infiniti. I can understand if I pushed the car hard but its a daily driver, 30 miles round trip to work and only 2 trips. Heck if anything should have failed it should have been my 87 Turbo Buick (WE4) - that car put down a lot rubber all the time and I never had a failure on par with this vehicle.

Thanks again.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:10 PM
G37HR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Greetings fellow G37 Enthusiasts!

I recently bought a 2011 that is at risk for this issue(If I knew then, what I know now DOH). This thread scares me. Fortunately, I have an Infiniti Elite Warranty for now. Do you guys have any ideas how I could get Infiniti to proactively perform the job?

Could I tell them symptoms I am having or must I throw the code(s). Get oil to certain places. I know this is below bar but perhaps karma. Dang Infiniti, own it already!

I hope this is not too far off base from your topic. Hope Infiniti gives you something?!?! Especially if it is the same dealer you purchased your G from.

Thanks for your thoughts guys.
Be well everyone, KB
Old 11-02-2016, 07:46 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by G37HR
Greetings fellow G37 Enthusiasts!

I recently bought a 2011 that is at risk for this issue(If I knew then, what I know now DOH). This thread scares me. Fortunately, I have an Infiniti Elite Warranty for now. Do you guys have any ideas how I could get Infiniti to proactively perform the job?

Could I tell them symptoms I am having or must I throw the code(s). Get oil to certain places. I know this is below bar but perhaps karma. Dang Infiniti, own it already!

I hope this is not too far off base from your topic. Hope Infiniti gives you something?!?! Especially if it is the same dealer you purchased your G from.

Thanks for your thoughts guys.
Be well everyone, KB
Welcome the the site! No way would they do it without the codes/symptoms, they don't even want to admit there's a problem. I'd invest in an oil pressure gauge and just keep an eye on things, about the best you can do.
Old 11-04-2016, 06:27 PM
hragarand

Update: Spoke with the service manager and we will be sharing the cost - the cost for the rear timing gasket cover replacement was adjusted down to $1,000.
Old 11-04-2016, 07:44 PM
Bocian
Registered Member

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
Are they replacing the entire rear cover or just the blown gaskets? 1k isn't bad at all. I'm surprised they agree to that.
The gaskets themselves are less than 50$ plus a few other seals that should be done. The entire rear cover is a lot more $ and a lot more unnecessary labor. I had a trusted mechanic and we just did just the gaskets and while we were in there, we replaced the water pump, timing chain guides, and the timing tensioner. I left the chain since it was in pristine condition and and the whole ordeal was already expensive. Man, this whole thing just sucked...
Old 11-04-2016, 08:56 PM
NeverBoneStock
Premier Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by AUR11
I'm glad my car came with a lifetime powertrain warranty.
Lifetime warrantys usually don't cover gaskets..
Have a Infiniti dealership here handing out lifetime warranty and in the fine print it does not cover gaskets
Old 11-05-2016, 01:01 PM
hragarand

Full replacement of rear timing cover -

Car was out of powertrain warranty by 2,000 miles and 12 months. I expressed my disappointment with the failure of the gasket and not with the dealership. I asked the service manager to do what he and the dealership could do to get me some relief on the cost, I was willing to split the cost.

The original cost was estimated at $3,600 - that appeared to be cut in half by Infiniti, leaving $1,800. The dealer split that with me 50% for roughly $900. I signed a goodwill statement indicating the dealership picked up the $900.

With all the labor invested I had a series of regular maintenance done (power steering fluid, brake fluid) to get the price to $1,350 out the door. The ECM was reset and I notice my downshifts were harsh so they updated the tarns software. The 20 mile drive home was very smooth. It was like driving a new vehicle, shifting is smoother up and down.

I want to thank the board for documenting these issues. I shared the information with the dealer and service manager that there are possibly other gasket issues hanging out there.

Last edited by hragarand; 11-05-2016 at 01:10 PM.
Old 11-05-2016, 01:26 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Well that turned out much better than I would have thought, glad you got it fixed and didn't take a big hit, more money for car stuff now
Old 11-05-2016, 03:45 PM
hragarand

Love the G37 and the modern conveniences but I really miss the '87 Buick WE4 Turbo I had - roll up windows, radio delete, POSI, straight line it was a bear.

Only 1,547 WE4 optioned 1987 Turbo Buicks were delivered in the final year of the GN, over 20,000 Grand Nationals. The WE4 was lighter than the GN with the same Engine and Drive Train. Max torque at 2,000 rpm was nice.

Engine 231.4-cu-in turbocharged OHV V-6, port fuel-injection
Power and torque (SAE net) 245 hp @ 4400 rpm, 355 lb-ft @ 2000 rpm

Last edited by hragarand; 11-05-2016 at 03:57 PM.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:57 AM
booster

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by hragarand
Full replacement of rear timing cover -

Car was out of powertrain warranty by 2,000 miles and 12 months. I expressed my disappointment with the failure of the gasket and not with the dealership. I asked the service manager to do what he and the dealership could do to get me some relief on the cost, I was willing to split the cost.

The original cost was estimated at $3,600 - that appeared to be cut in half by Infiniti, leaving $1,800. The dealer split that with me 50% for roughly $900. I signed a goodwill statement indicating the dealership picked up the $900.

With all the labor invested I had a series of regular maintenance done (power steering fluid, brake fluid) to get the price to $1,350 out the door. The ECM was reset and I notice my downshifts were harsh so they updated the tarns software. The 20 mile drive home was very smooth. It was like driving a new vehicle, shifting is smoother up and down.

I want to thank the board for documenting these issues. I shared the information with the dealer and service manager that there are possibly other gasket issues hanging out there.
What a sweet deal! I called Infiniti, but they basically told me I'm on my own.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:48 AM
newmarket

With a help of a few forums I will share my experience with my 2010 g37x

My oil was low and very surprised because usually Royal Purple doesn't burn off that much. But it did probably at least 1 quart maybe 2.. don't know how long I was driving like that but about a few days after I topped it off I got the P0021 code.. After extensive research through forums and on Youtube they said try an oil change first.. I did and the code was still there with same problem.. I reset my ECU by disconnecting the battery and guess what... everything was back to normal.. from some guy on Youtube he said that the solenoid or something expands when the oil pressure is low.. so what I believe happened is it went back to normal after I reset the ECU and with normal oil pressure..
Resetting the ECU was key..
Old 10-31-2019, 12:55 PM
chenz19

oil pressure light on but no check engine light

hi all...2009 g37x with 193,000 miles just started to have the oil pressure light come on. It only comes on when the car is idling or not in motion. As soon as I drive it or rev it a bit the light goes off and stays off while im driving. The check engine light has never come on and the car is not going into limp mode and never has. There is no noticeable performance decrease and the oil level is completely full. I've seen on here that when the pressure is low due to the galley gasket failure that the P0524 code would display and the car would go into limp mode. This is not happening. Thoughts?
Old 12-16-2019, 03:10 PM
Raffi D
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
So I took my car to two dealerships after getting P0300, P0011 and P0524.

The first one quoted me $4.6k and told me oil psi was at 5 psi at idle and 22psi at 2k rpm. After hearing that, I thought for sure I have a gallery gasket issue.

Based on the quote, I went to another dealer for a second opinion. They are telling me my bank 1 sprocket is locked (according to their diag equipment) and my VVT sensor has failed, but my oil psi reads 20psi idle and 40 psi at 2k rpm. I'm above spec at idle and just slightly below at 2k. There stance is, replace the sprocket and the gallery gaskets might as well be done while i'm in there.

Does a bad VVT solenoid emit the same symptoms of a frozen sprocket? Any chance that getting that fixed my fix the issue if my oil psi is actually right?

Old 12-16-2019, 03:20 PM
Raffi D
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Raffi D

The first one quoted me $4.6k and told me oil psi was at 5 psi at idle and 22psi at 2k rpm. After hearing that, I thought for sure I have a gallery gasket issue.

Based on the quote, I went to another dealer for a second opinion. They are telling me my bank 1 sprocket is locked (according to their diag equipment) and my VVT sensor has failed, but my oil psi reads 20psi idle and 40 psi at 2k rpm. I'm above spec at idle and just slightly below at 2k. There stance is, replace the sprocket and the gallery gaskets might as well be done while i'm in there.

Does a bad VVT solenoid emit the same symptoms of a frozen sprocket? Any chance that getting that fixed my fix the issue if my oil psi is actually right?
Also, I do want to add the car was running VERY rough...but again, not sure if that is due to the solenoid or the sprocket.
Old 12-16-2019, 10:48 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Raffi D

I think what is happening is that oil pressure is low causing the other issue. Maybe get a third opinion from a nissan dealer. They'll be about half the cost of any Infiniti dealer.