Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

2011 G37 Sedan Overheating Idle

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 05:00 PM
Ricio1991
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 102 Posts
2011 G37 Sedan Overheating Idle

Hello all so I been having an issue when idling for long period of time on 110 degrees and plus weather when either waiting for a long period of time while the ac on and engine idling. Te temperature has gotten up to 3/4 but not to the like before H which is shown below. I took it to Infiniti last week and they replaced the thermostat and stated that was causing the issue so now this week happened again yesterday so I took it back this morning and they explained they could not replicate the issue and that there was nothing they can do. They tried keeping it on idle and stop and go test drive and nothing. What would you suggest to do at this time just wait until it gets worse or any other opinions? Once I start driving the temperature goes down I told them to check the fans and everything else. Planning on doing a coolant flush this week but I don't think that is my problem
Attached Thumbnails 2011 G37 Sedan Overheating Idle-photo775.jpg  
Old 07-07-2016, 12:08 AM
tite_tite
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
monitor the coolant level, make sure it is not leaking or anything. you may also need to burp your system for air. i use lisle (yellow container).

how long have you had the car? has it always done this or did it just started?
Old 07-07-2016, 01:26 AM
Ricio1991
Registered Member

Originally Posted by tite_tite
monitor the coolant level, make sure it is not leaking or anything. you may also need to burp your system for air. i use lisle (yellow container).

how long have you had the car? has it always done this or did it just started?
Coolant level is at max and the car has 50k miles, I will replace my coolant this week but it just started doing this but only occurs after like using the car for hours without it resting when I'm idling waiting for someone etc. the dealer started to me everything of functioning properly and they don't see an issue and to wait until it acts worse. The car is fine 95 percent of the time at the proper temperature it's just those days that it's 110 plus and I'm taking people places doing uber after a few hours of working. The car when it's running it's perfect normal temperature but I'm still sure that it's or supposed to go that high so I will wait until it gets worse and take it back
Old 07-08-2016, 08:50 PM
tite_tite
Registered Member

coolant change is a good start... i add some input on the DIY

https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...acement-2.html
Old 07-08-2016, 08:54 PM
Ricio1991
Registered Member

I actually got it down yesterday and problem occured again today so Monday I'll be going to the dealer again they couldn't see it today it was too late and they were booked hope it replicates again so they can Figure it out
Old 07-08-2016, 09:07 PM
4doorfury

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts
"Wait until it gets worse"

I would totally freeking get THAT in writing. Go back over and over with the complaints and ask for copies of the paperwork that states your complaint and their response on it. Keep them for reference when the motor decide to become a piece of metal rather than a motor. Will give you plenty of ground to stand on when you make corporate replace the engine free of charge
Old 07-08-2016, 09:49 PM
Ricio1991
Registered Member

Oh yeah I have all the paperwork from them in detail. I'm extremely fed up with them and on Monday will be my final straw I'll be talking to management
Old 07-10-2016, 03:27 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
When we were in Vegas last week it was 124 degrees off the pavement (according to my in-car readout) and when driving the reading never got below 122 during our drive. Plenty of idling and our temp gauge also got the highest I'd ever seen, just a bit higher than halfway up (a bit lower than yours from what I can tell). I'm also going to flush my coolant tomorrow. Our drive home which was 770 miles, the gauge never got that high again, always a bit under half. The car also ran a bit sluggish when it was at its' hottest but fine all the other times.
I know Phoenix has also been a record breaking heat stretch so it may be normal, but still doesn't make you feel comfortable
Old 07-11-2016, 12:00 AM
Ricio1991
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
When we were in Vegas last week it was 124 degrees off the pavement (according to my in-car readout) and when driving the reading never got below 122 during our drive. Plenty of idling and our temp gauge also got the highest I'd ever seen, just a bit higher than halfway up (a bit lower than yours from what I can tell). I'm also going to flush my coolant tomorrow. Our drive home which was 770 miles, the gauge never got that high again, always a bit under half. The car also ran a bit sluggish when it was at its' hottest but fine all the other times.
I know Phoenix has also been a record breaking heat stretch so it may be normal, but still doesn't make you feel comfortable
According to the dealer it's not normal I'm leaning thinking it's probably the temperature sensor acting up since they did a test to check circulation as far as radiator, water pump etc so I'm super confused will be going back tomorrow since the issue is occurring still I will update as soon as I get it diagnosed and fixed. The infiniti service advisor stated to me that they prefer to give loaners to people with new cars but it frustrates me because I still have infiniti elite warranty and they should at least give me a loaner especially when they didn't let me take it Friday when it was occurring after they have told me they fixed it with replacing the thermostat. I'll gave a nice talk to the service manager tomorrow
Old 07-11-2016, 01:14 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Several things.

1) if you have an obd reader, see what it reads for coolant temp

2) You mentioned they already replaced the thermostat. Didn't they replace a significant amount of coolant when doing this?

3) What engine oil are you using?

I would not expect the coolant to be at the same temp under similar conditions at 110F vs 80F.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:12 PM
Ricio1991
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Jsolo
Several things.

1) if you have an obd reader, see what it reads for coolant temp

2) You mentioned they already replaced the thermostat. Didn't they replace a significant amount of coolant when doing this?

3) What engine oil are you using?

I would not expect the coolant to be at the same temp under similar conditions at 110F vs 80F.
I'm getting it looked at right now by the dealer.
Coolant was replaced and also bled properly and still occurring.

I use valvoline full synthetic 5w30
Old 07-11-2016, 06:11 PM
Ricio1991
Registered Member

I believe there going to replace the radiator but they're not even sure if it's that but at no cost warranty. I'm not even sure what to think they said fans and everything else working properly
Old 07-13-2016, 07:39 PM
Ricio1991
Registered Member

So yesterday I picked up my car they replaced the radiatior and problem persist. I'm so confused they can't find what's wrong and I believe they just replaced the radiator for no reason because they don't know wha causing it and keep going back and forth! I'm so mad at them now i have to take it again
Attached Thumbnails 2011 G37 Sedan Overheating Idle-photo189.jpg   2011 G37 Sedan Overheating Idle-photo832.jpg  
Old 07-13-2016, 07:45 PM
Ricio1991
Registered Member

Can this be normal with this head I highly doubt it only at idle on traffic
Old 07-13-2016, 09:55 PM
tite_tite
Registered Member

please keep us updated. I had temperature go like that on my g35 but my coolant was leaking toward the back of the engine. the next time when you are at idle (home), see if the temperature goes up. if it does, check the reservoir tank: how high the coolant is & if it is bubbling or what not.

Quick Reply: 2011 G37 Sedan Overheating Idle