Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Clutch issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 02:20 PM
TommyGunnZ33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch issues

Just purchased a 2009 G37s Coupe 6mt. Love it! Only have one problem, sitting at a red light and felt like burning rubber so i dropped the clutch around 4-5k rpms and NO tire spin just a burning clutch smell. So i figured, well lets do the clutch slipping test. Got up to 50mph in 5th gear and floored it and rpms did not rise, put in first gear @ 5k rpms turned off vdc let off gas and stomped gas and tires break loose, (every time).

Clutch seems to be strong. Next i tried to chirp 2nd gear, no chirp just clutch slip! So basically ive came to the conclusion that maybe the slave cylinder needs to be bled? Or maybe the clutch is not letting out quick enough when im dropping the clutch to spin rear tires (of course VDC is off)

My 6mt background: ive owned 2003 350z 6mt/2007 350zHR 6mt/2004 G35 Coupe 6mt, and now 09 G37s coupe 6mt, i have never replaced any clutches on any of the vq's ive owned and i have NEVER had any clutch issues other than syncro and throwout bearing. plz help

Last edited by TommyGunnZ33; 04-06-2016 at 03:00 PM.
Old 04-06-2016, 02:23 PM
Ricio1991
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 102 Posts
Your clutch might need replacing, seems like it's slipping how many miles on the car? I had to replace mine at 88k
Old 04-06-2016, 02:24 PM
TommyGunnZ33

60k miles
Old 04-06-2016, 06:19 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Maybe you picked up a shopping bag or something plastic that was melting off your exhaust.

Dumping the clutch like that isn't going to do much to help its lifespan
Old 04-07-2016, 12:06 AM
Ricio1991
Registered Member

Originally Posted by TommyGunnZ33
60k miles
Depending how the previous owner drove the car you might need a replacement, would be good to get it diagnosed and the smell I have a burnt plastic smell on my automatic sedan But I'm sure it's a plastic bag like jsolo mentioned it's been days already but nothing else acting up and no smoke at all, temperature is fine I suppose I caught a bag on the freeway. Slave cylinder and known to be defective in our cars and it will cause the clutch pedal to stick.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:04 AM
TommyGunnZ33

It most def is not anything melted under the car, it only made the smell for an hour when the clutch slipped for 2 seconds. Now you mentioned the slave cylinder is known to be defective in our cars and it will cause the clutch pedal to stick. That makes sense because i can be in 1st gear and let off the gas and stomp it and it will spin everytime. (no slip)

That being said the clutch "maybe" good? As long as im easy on the clutch give it some time after I release the clutch and stomp the gas it pulls hard and does not slip at all. If im banging through the gears as if im racing another car it will slip if i drop the clutch hard and stomp the gas.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:58 AM
Ricio1991
Registered Member

Originally Posted by TommyGunnZ33
It most def is not anything melted under the car, it only made the smell for an hour when the clutch slipped for 2 seconds. Now you mentioned the slave cylinder is known to be defective in our cars and it will cause the clutch pedal to stick. That makes sense because i can be in 1st gear and let off the gas and stomp it and it will spin everytime. (no slip)

That being said the clutch "maybe" good? As long as im easy on the clutch give it some time after I release the clutch and stomp the gas it pulls hard and does not slip at all. If im banging through the gears as if im racing another car it will slip if i drop the clutch hard and stomp the gas.
Yes the clutch might be good but only way to find out is getting it diagnosed by a good shop, keep us updated once they drop the transmission for the slave cylinder if it seems to be the issue they will determine the condition on your clutch and flywheel and you go from there, there are good aftermarket clutch kits for around 700 to 800 like JWT which is a great clutch for vq's
Old 04-07-2016, 11:52 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

You sure it's the clutch and not the tires slipping?
Old 04-07-2016, 06:13 PM
Thirty_Seven

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts
Definitely the clutch slave cylinder. I had the exact same symptoms for my car right before it went. Noticed that the clutch would slip if I launched the car but wouldn't slip any time else. 20k miles later the CSC failed and I had the clutch, flywheel, and slave cylinder replaced and the mechanic said my clutch and flywheel were in perfect shape for the mileage so it wasn't that. With the new HD CSC I can launch perfectly fine.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:25 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

A failing slave prevents clutch disengagement, not engagement. Slipping happens when the clutch is not fully engaged. I'm not seeing the connection.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:58 PM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 339 Likes on 274 Posts
If you can't chirp a 1-2 shift when shifting at redline, the clutch is weak. It may be strong enough for wide open throttle in all gears, but not when it has high demands to transfer torque. (like dumping the clutch in 1st, or being able to chirp the 1-2 shift at redline)

Whether it is the clutch or CSC, the transmission need to be dropped to investigate.
By the way, a slipping clutch can damage the $1,000 dual mass flywheel. Either take it easy or get it fixed soon.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:44 PM
PongSanity

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts
Replace the clutch. My clutch is slipping at 55K and my CSC failed once at 48k. Ordering my stage 3 south Bend clutch tomorrow plus the zspeed HD csc. Already got the cmc to swap out too.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:43 AM
TommyGunnZ33

100% positive the tires was not spinning when dumping the clutch (brand new michelin pilot ss) and black top pavement!
Old 04-08-2016, 10:53 AM
TommyGunnZ33

Originally Posted by Thirty_Seven
Definitely the clutch slave cylinder. I had the exact same symptoms for my car right before it went. Noticed that the clutch would slip if I launched the car but wouldn't slip any time else. 20k miles later the CSC failed and I had the clutch, flywheel, and slave cylinder replaced and the mechanic said my clutch and flywheel were in perfect shape for the mileage so it wasn't that. With the new HD CSC I can launch perfectly fine.
Makes sense, because when i dumped the clutch and the clutch slipped for 2 seconds i IMMEDIATELY pushed in clutch BC i knew the tires was not spinning and I was damaging the clutch. Right away i noticed that the clutch had a hella lot of play. First thing that came to mind was the slave cylinder.

That being said once I drove it around for 5 minuites it went back to normal (full petal came back)

Last edited by TommyGunnZ33; 04-08-2016 at 11:07 AM.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:06 AM
TommyGunnZ33

Originally Posted by SonicVQ
If you can't chirp a 1-2 shift when shifting at redline, the clutch is weak. It may be strong enough for wide open throttle in all gears, but not when it has high demands to transfer torque. (like dumping the clutch in 1st, or being able to chirp the 1-2 shift at redline)

Whether it is the clutch or CSC, the transmission need to be dropped to investigate.
By the way, a slipping clutch can damage the $1,000 dual mass flywheel. Either take it easy or get it fixed soon.
Yeah I agree need to drop tranny to investigate, hopefully the clutch is good. Seems to be, Heck even if it needs a clutch im down to put in a better than stock one, if i do im relpacing the TB and pilot bearing as well as the slave cyl and maybe a JWT clutch kit.

What gets me is I can be in 1st gear @ 5000 rpms let off gas and stomp the gas it will break the tires loose every time. BTW thanks for all the help and good replys

Quick Reply: Clutch issues