Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Clutch issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 09:59 AM
TommyGunnZ33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
*UPDATE* Replaced slave cylinder, no more clutch issues.
Old 06-18-2020, 09:16 PM
GofToronto
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TommyGunnZ33
Just purchased a 2009 G37s Coupe 6mt. Love it! Only have one problem, sitting at a red light and felt like burning rubber so i dropped the clutch around 4-5k rpms and NO tire spin just a burning clutch smell. So i figured, well lets do the clutch slipping test. Got up to 50mph in 5th gear and floored it and rpms did not rise, put in first gear @ 5k rpms turned off vdc let off gas and stomped gas and tires break loose, (every time).

Clutch seems to be strong. Next i tried to chirp 2nd gear, no chirp just clutch slip! So basically ive came to the conclusion that maybe the slave cylinder needs to be bled? Or maybe the clutch is not letting out quick enough when im dropping the clutch to spin rear tires (of course VDC is off)

My 6mt background: ive owned 2003 350z 6mt/2007 350zHR 6mt/2004 G35 Coupe 6mt, and now 09 G37s coupe 6mt, i have never replaced any clutches on any of the vq's ive owned and i have NEVER had any clutch issues other than syncro and throwout bearing. plz help
I have had the exact same clutch issue. If I tried to launch the car, there is a burning smell and no spin. Usually pedal went super soft thereafter but got back to normal in a few minutes. This happened even when the car had 25/30k km (like 15k miles). I got it with 12k km in 2013. I have driven stick all my life including older Zs and BMWs. I wasn’t trying to learn the stick on the G.... With the passage of time it got worse and more frequent. Couldn’t do hard launches. I could push the car hard once in motion. No slippage in 5th or 6th low speed pull off. It will stall and knock off Shut if released clutch in 3rd with no throttle. All things pointed to a healthy friction surfaces. Showed it to a couple of esteemed mechanics. They did not launch the car but did the similar tests and said clutch was good.
Fast forward a few years, yesterday my clutch slave or master died on me. The paddle stuck to the floor. It sucks! But I knew it was coming. The car now has 94k km (58k miles). It is in the shop right now. I am reluctantly going with the LuK DMF and LuK clutch setup (Afraid of clatter and grinding....)And getting a 370z master and zspeed HD CSC. I am no expert but I can swear by the fact that the issue has been delayed and/or partial release of CSC. And not the friction surface wear
If anybody feels strongly enough against the LuK setup for a very spirited daily driver (a lot of redlining and hard launches) and may be once a year visit to the track, please let me know your suggestions.

Last edited by GofToronto; 06-18-2020 at 09:52 PM.
Old 08-24-2022, 10:50 PM
Q60s 37disguise

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How did this work?

Originally Posted by GofToronto
I have had the exact same clutch issue. If I tried to launch the car, there is a burning smell and no spin. Usually pedal went super soft thereafter but got back to normal in a few minutes. This happened even when the car had 25/30k km (like 15k miles). I got it with 12k km in 2013. I have driven stick all my life including older Zs and BMWs. I wasn’t trying to learn the stick on the G.... With the passage of time it got worse and more frequent. Couldn’t do hard launches. I could push the car hard once in motion. No slippage in 5th or 6th low speed pull off. It will stall and knock off Shut if released clutch in 3rd with no throttle. All things pointed to a healthy friction surfaces. Showed it to a couple of esteemed mechanics. They did not launch the car but did the similar tests and said clutch was good.
Fast forward a few years, yesterday my clutch slave or master died on me. The paddle stuck to the floor. It sucks! But I knew it was coming. The car now has 94k km (58k miles). It is in the shop right now. I am reluctantly going with the LuK DMF and LuK clutch setup (Afraid of clatter and grinding....)And getting a 370z master and zspeed HD CSC. I am no expert but I can swear by the fact that the issue has been delayed and/or partial release of CSC. And not the friction surface wear
If anybody feels strongly enough against the LuK setup for a very spirited daily driver (a lot of redlining and hard launches) and may be once a year visit to the track, please let me know your suggestions.

I owned a G35 2006, had new clutch, tires, radiator, and some young lady plowed into me. Totalled and I lost big time investment.

But I love it. So I went all in in 2017, bought a MT 2014 Q60s with all the cool extras I wanted. 4 weeks ago, put summer tires on, my new sport brakes, ready to go! CSC blew! I always noticed a burning on both rigs, figured I'm a notorious clutch rider. Now I'm caught. Need to make a decision. Took 3 weeks.for.my appt, shops are busy! I like these Zmototrsport CSCs, I like their clutch kits. The version 1 talked about the chatter. The Version 2, I'm not sure? But if I don't go with Luk or Stench(sp?) No warranty, parts n labor. I don't know if my clutch is crispy, but, i might as well change the whole kit since it's original and I have 60k on the car? How did it go with you? I'm wondering about your route, best of both worlds? Will I get the warranty and not the shotty CSC? Do I go for it, full aftermarket kit, no warranty parts n labor?

Do I care about chatter? I crank the stereo anyway, unless driving daughter to school, she's not the grunge fan I hoped a kindergartener would be?