Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

AWD light blinking on track day

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 09:11 AM
mbar

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AWD light blinking on track day

Hi everybody,
Driving 2013 G37xS coupe. 20,000 miles.
Just came back from another great weekend at the track.
Something weird happened this weekend: halfway thru every session (12-15 min in) the AWD light started blinking rapidly. Every time I would slow down it went away. Stepping on it again and it came back (and went away again and again).
Anybody has a clue why this is happening / how to fix it?
Did not happen on the previous 10 track days.

Thanks for your help
Old 04-05-2016, 09:37 AM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 337 Likes on 272 Posts
The part-time AWD system is being overworked and the transferase fluid temp is getting too high. You may want to change the transfer case fluid before your next track day and see if that increases your run time.

From the factory shop manual: DLN-9
When driving, if there is a large difference between front and rear wheel speed which continues for a long time, fluid temperature of drive system parts becomes too high and AWD warning lamp blinks quickly. (When AWD warning lamp blinks, vehicle changes to rear-wheel drive conditions.) Also, optional distribution of torque sometimes becomes rigid before lamp blinks quickly, but it is not a malfunction.

• If AWD warning lamp is blinking quickly, stop vehicle and allow it to idle for some time. Blinking will stop and AWD system will be restored.

Last edited by SonicVQ; 04-05-2016 at 09:43 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by SonicVQ:
Legz (04-05-2016), mbar (04-05-2016)
Old 04-05-2016, 09:50 AM
mbar

Originally Posted by SonicVQ
The part-time AWD system is being overworked and the transferase fluid temp is getting too high. You may want to change the transfer case fluid before your next track day and see if that increases your run time.

From the factory shop manual: DLN-9
When driving, if there is a large difference between front and rear wheel speed which continues for a long time, fluid temperature of drive system parts becomes too high and AWD warning lamp blinks quickly. (When AWD warning lamp blinks, vehicle changes to rear-wheel drive conditions.) Also, optional distribution of torque sometimes becomes rigid before lamp blinks quickly, but it is not a malfunction.

• If AWD warning lamp is blinking quickly, stop vehicle and allow it to idle for some time. Blinking will stop and AWD system will be restored.
Funny, now I understand why the car was tail happy....it turned into RWD....so much better
Just to be clear this "transfer fluid": is it the rear or front differential fluid, or we are talking about something else?

PS - I also think my Auto transmission did not like me that day...it was jerking around. I wonder if it's related to the transfer fluid.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:27 AM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

The transfer case is connected to the rear of the transmission and directs engine power to the front differential.

With all the trackways you have done, I would change all your driveline fluids as soon as possible:
(1) Transfer case (FSM say only to use Genuine NISSAN Matic J ATF)
(2) Transmission fluid (FSM says only use Genuine NISSAN Matic S ATF)
(3) Front & Rear diff oil (not critical, but also not very expensive to do)

The "jerking" could be the transfer case or the transmission overheating. Either way, change your fluids and see if it happens again.

Generally track days are VERY hard on cars that have part-time AWD. The system is not designed for a high level of usage and start to over heat.

Some have put in a switch to disable AWD:
https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...wd-switch.html
Old 04-05-2016, 10:36 AM
mbar

Originally Posted by SonicVQ
The transfer case is connected to the rear of the transmission and directs engine power to the front differential.

With all the trackways you have done, I would change all your driveline fluids as soon as possible:
(1) Transfer case (FSM say only to use Genuine NISSAN Matic J ATF)
(2) Transmission fluid (FSM says only use Genuine NISSAN Matic S ATF)
(3) Front & Rear diff oil (not critical, but also not very expensive to do)

The "jerking" could be the transfer case or the transmission overheating. Either way, change your fluids and see if it happens again.

Generally track days are VERY hard on cars that have part-time AWD. The system is not designed for a high level of usage and start to over heat.

Some have put in a switch to disable AWD:
https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...wd-switch.html
Thanks!
Now I'm torn....I have one more track weekend on this car before it goes away. I wonder if I should spend all this maintenance money or not.
Will I be able to see error messages if I connect to the ECU to see which fluid got overheated?
Old 04-05-2016, 10:44 AM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

If you only have one more track day, just enjoy the car. If it is a warmer day, maybe save full throttle for the straight sections to reduce how much the transferase need to work.

We know the transferase fluid was overheated since the AWD light was flashing quickly.
Plus, there is no code for "fluid too hot", It just goes into "fail safe" mode to protect it self.
The following users liked this post:
mbar (04-05-2016)
Old 04-05-2016, 01:40 PM
Lt8Che
'Cuz Racemod-erator

Received 316 Likes on 204 Posts
I've experienced this as well after a couple of good laps. I usually go into the pit for a couple of minutes and then head back out after it cools down a little.
The following users liked this post:
mbar (04-05-2016)
Old 04-07-2016, 09:14 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Next trip just unplug the AWD control unit behing the glove box , I'll be doing that IF I do a track day

Last edited by ANMVQ; 04-07-2016 at 09:26 AM.
Old 06-17-2016, 03:43 PM
mbar

Update:
I replaced my transfer fluid with J Matic before my track event.
Car did MUCH better. Got the AWD flashing light only at the end of the second day (kind of crazy switching to RWD in the middle of a session).

I returned my car to the dealer 3 days ago (lease). I must say that this car was a mean machine! I tracked it with Porsche Club of America. Every time the Porsche people were amazed how good this car was handling.

I wanted to thank everybody on this forum for all their help in the past 3 years.

Cheers

Last edited by mbar; 06-17-2016 at 03:49 PM.
Old 06-17-2016, 05:25 PM
zer099
Premier Member

Received 91 Likes on 63 Posts
If you don't mind me asking: what brand Matic J did you use?
Old 06-17-2016, 05:43 PM
mbar

Originally Posted by zer099
If you don't mind me asking: what brand Matic J did you use?
Nissan. Bought on Amazon