Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

2009 auto 7spd transmission problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 11:44 PM
justcin9877

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 auto 7spd transmission problem?

Hey guys experienced a really strange problem tonight. I drive a 2009 7 speed automatic g37x sedan with about 108,000 miles. I was going for a drive to kill some time and everything was normal until I went to slow down at a red light(slowed down at around 4 lights before) and I felt the gears slam harder then ever before when the transmission downshifted. After that it seemed like my brakes did not respond as well and the transmission was struggling really hard to upshift and then I noticed it was pretty much unresponive when the light turned green.

I pulled over right away and nothing seemed unusual. No lights, no leaks, engine sounded fine. I drove around a little bit in a parking lot ahead and the rpms kept jumping from 2k to 3k over and over again. I decided to turn the car off and back on because I had no god damn clue what this was and the car worked normal. I drove around the neighborhood and everything was normal and the transmission shifted smoothly.

I drove around for about 6 more miles and went back home. I did not notice anything weird or off driving home. So I am thinking it may be a computer problem and maybe it had a glitch with the transmission? I am going to call infiniti in the morning and schedule an appointment but I am literally clueless on what this could be. Doesn't seem like a transmission problem as it is working perfectly fine after starting the car again. Nothing points to an engine problem either as again, it worked perfectly fine upon restarting the car.

I haven't noticed anything off about the car in the past couple of weeks, this problem just happened out of nowhere, the car was driving normal then boom the transmission slammed and became practically unresponsive. If I could get input from anybody that'd be great. Thanks.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:51 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,942 Likes on 4,175 Posts
If it was a emergency type stop where the AT harshly downshifts to help in slowing the car down that can exhibit a bit of unusual behavior, especially if you've never done a stop like that before. The rest of what happened afterward isn't as normal though. Have you had the AT fluid flushed/serviced? If not, that's something that should be done w/ your current mileage. Hopefully it's nothing serious.
G/L
Old 03-08-2016, 11:55 PM
kennyz424

Received 1,499 Likes on 1,272 Posts
I was also going to suggest a trans fluid flush with that mileage but other then that idk what it could be as I've never experienced that issue before. Hopefully the dealer finds out what the issue is and it's not to serious. Keep us informed at what they say and best of luck man!
Old 03-09-2016, 12:11 AM
justcin9877

Originally Posted by blnewt
If it was a emergency type stop where the AT harshly downshifts to help in slowing the car down that can exhibit a bit of unusual behavior, especially if you've never done a stop like that before. The rest of what happened afterward isn't as normal though. Have you had the AT fluid flushed/serviced? If not, that's something that should be done w/ your current mileage. Hopefully it's nothing serious.
G/L
Nope haven't had the tran fluid serviced in a while, was actually considering doing it soon ironically. Appreciate the quick reply and yeah I'm hoping it is nothing serious. Doesn't seem like it could be considering the car drove normal when I restarted it but you never know with cars man. Could not servicing the tran fluid really cause something like this though? I mean with no lights appearing it seems like a computer problem but I have no idea.
EDIT: completely forgot to mention that I was just stopping normally, didn't have to stomp on the brakes or anything just a normal nice and smooth stop. Well smooth until the tranmission downshifted rough.

Last edited by justcin9877; 03-09-2016 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Missed information
Old 03-09-2016, 12:14 AM
justcin9877

Originally Posted by kennyz424
I was also going to suggest a trans fluid flush with that mileage but other then that idk what it could be as I've never experienced that issue before. Hopefully the dealer finds out what the issue is and it's not to serious. Keep us informed at what they say and best of luck man!
Thanks for the quick reply! Just gonna have to call the dealer and see when I can get the car in. I'm going to see how the car drives in the morning and will post back here if anything happens. Hope it's nothing too expensive lol. Will keep you guys updated if I find anything out!