Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Prospective G37 manual tranny buyer

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 12:05 PM
Otherbmw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prospective G37 manual tranny buyer

First a little background: I mainly own BMWs and am strictly a manual transmission guy. I'm looking to replace my e46 with a manual tranny G37S. I found a nice 2013 G37S in Long Island (a fair distance away as I am near Rochester, NY) but have some concerns after reading about the criticism of the shifting in the G37 on this forum. What confuses me is that if I look up magazine reviews of the shifting some are somewhat critical but many are quite good.

For example, in Road and Track: Four-Door Firepower - page 2. They state: "Yet it's still a torquey and likable engine, the second most powerful at 328 bhp, paired with a great mistake-proof gearbox and second-nature clutch with a firm, easily modulated bite."

This seems to be the opposite of many of the posts on this forum!

Another example is from Autoweek: 2012 Infiniti G37 Sport: Review notes: A Nissan Z car for grown-ups | Autoweek. In it the reviewer states: "The six-speed in the G is one of my favorites. It has a short throw, feels thick and heavy in the hand and snaps into each gear with a click. The clutch effort is just hard enough to give the pedal some feel, which is important when taking off from a light."

Again, the opposite!

Lastly, car and driver reviewed the coupe back in 2007: Performance. A quote from the article: "The shift throws are short, and so is clutch-pedal travel, which engages with a smoothness that BMW is only beginning to approach with the latest 3-series."

What gives? Is there a difference between earlier and later years? I am frankly, second guessing my decision given all of the negative input l've read on this forum.
Old 12-30-2015, 12:13 PM
Ricio1991
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 102 Posts
The 6 speed isn't that bad, only issue is he notorious slave cylinder that goes out and also many do a small upgrade to the clutch pedal witch is called the rjm clutch pedal I believe, my prior coupe was a 6 speed and I loved it I'm sure you will receive more input from many others here and now I have a 7 speed auto and I actually miss my 6 speed, way better than the auto in our cars in our cars
Old 12-30-2015, 12:59 PM
SlateBlue G

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
The 6MT clutch is the weakest part about the G. Also the high engagement point (which the RJM fixes). The gearbox however does feel solid. Bushings are still real good after all this time. Stock does grab but high revving for a while you'll noticing it slipping a bit.
If you regularly bleed your clutch fluid and not dog on the car it can last. Most people who get aftermarket clutches get the HD CSC.

I'm still on my stock clutch at 130K. My clutch master has been replaced and my slave is on its way out.

Last edited by SlateBlue G; 12-30-2015 at 01:05 PM.
Old 12-30-2015, 01:40 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
Originally Posted by Otherbmw
First a little background: I mainly own BMWs and am strictly a manual transmission guy. I'm looking to replace my e46 with a manual tranny G37S. I found a nice 2013 G37S in Long Island (a fair distance away as I am near Rochester, NY) but have some concerns after reading about the criticism of the shifting in the G37 on this forum. What confuses me is that if I look up magazine reviews of the shifting some are somewhat critical but many are quite good.
Or you could reach out to me for a hands-on assessment on what the 6MT Sedan is like in person. It's possible that I have the only 6MT Sedan in the area... at least, the only one Dorchel has seen in a few years.

As stated, the RJM Clutch Pedal assembly will likely resolve any misgivings you have about using the clutch. (I have v2.) Also as stated, the CSC blows out on these cars (mine did at 18k), but according to Ryan at RJM, his pedal mysteriously resolves that issue too, by moving the engagement point further down the throw.

A heavy-ish clutch, a solid shifter, short throws, RWD, LSD and lots of horsepower... The G37 6MT is a Japanese Musclecar. It's not for everybody, but is exactly right for for this old man. And it's a good platform for suspension and power upgrades. However, there's only so much you can do NA.

Anyway, your call. I'm almost always home, and live in Irondequoit. Bring donuts.

Last edited by Rochester; 12-30-2015 at 02:34 PM.
Old 12-30-2015, 01:51 PM
Smppro

Another thing to consider is the awful noise it makes. They make a very loud rattling noise, it's honestly a little embarrassing. Aside from that I have no issues with mine. I've always driven manuals but my brother got a 7speed auto and I can't lie, I'm jealous, I know I'll get flamed for saying that but it's a nice tranny. There is no way I could ever take him off the line, he stomps the gas it hooks up and he's gone. But the 6speed is more fun to slide around corners . Just my opinion
Old 12-30-2015, 02:28 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Transmission and shifter are fine. Clutch (mechanical components and pedal feel) is garbage. Master and slave cylinders are prone to failure. The RJM pedal assembly is the only solution that fixes this issue very well. Other clutch "fixes" are band aids at best and completely ineffective at worst. From someone who has 122k on a 6MT and has tried every clutch improvement product/procedure there it. Clutch/CSC/MC replaced at 60K and smooth sailing ever since.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:57 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
I don't own a G with a manual, but my Dad has a G with the 6MT and also has an Annivrsary 350Z with the same 6MT tranny. And I can echo most of the opinion stated in this thread here... The 6MT tranny in these cars is one of the best manual transmissions I have driven... far better than the manual in my E36 M3 (which has an almost loose feel unless you replace the shifter/bushing with the unit from UUC Motorwerks or something similar) and it's almost as good as the manual tranny in my Porsche (which isn't stock anymore) and the manual in my old RX7. As many have mentioned, the only true drawback to the Infiniti/Nissan 6MT is the high clutch engagement and overall clutch feel. I actually think the clutch is a bit light for what is typically considered a performance car, but many complain that it is a bit stiff... I guess it's all a matter of opinion.

Either way, after 7+ years with the auto tranny (worst automatic tranny ever IMO) in my G the only thing I would change is I wish I had bought a 6MT... even though I have to live with L.A. traffic every day.

I suggest going to the Nissan dealer and finding a 370Z with 6MT tranny to drive. It would give you the same basic experience as the G37S (sans the rev matching button/option), or better yet, take Rochester up on his offer and let him take you for a spin in his car!
Old 12-30-2015, 06:04 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by SlateBlue G
I suggest going to the Nissan dealer and finding a 370Z with 6MT tranny to drive.
He could probably drive mine, since he lives in my area. Although my 6MT isn't stock by a number of considerations, and I don't know him from Adam. But hey, he's from Rochester, has BMW history, and oh hey! he's only a month older than me. So he's old, LOL.

Last edited by Rochester; 12-30-2015 at 06:09 PM.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:34 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
while i never had complaints with the factory clutch setup of the G35/G37, i did install the RJM pedal and it certainly improves the feel and engagement. from a driveability standpoint, the OP should not be concerned. the opinions on this forum run the gamut so one really needs to drive one to formulate their own thoughts.

as for reliability, the majority of the gearbox is stout - with one exception being the CSC. not every 6MT will see CSC failure, however it is not unheard of. my dealer had not seen many failures when they replaced mine, so failures are definitely in the minority. this forum has a higher reporting since higher percentage are enthusiast 6MT owners and people in general report problems more than praise.

and while my CSC did not "fail", i complained about 'strange noises' enough that they went ahead and warrantied a re+re. the work order said "found CSC leaking". i then paid for the shop-manual-recommended Master Cylinder re+re, and they replaced the hydraulic fluid with GTR-spec stuff under warranty.

with the RJM supposedly reducing CSC wear i am hopeful for many more years of trouble-free ownership. when i compare my ownership experience to any of the 12+ friends/colleagues with the German comparables it is laughable how often they are without their cars. in particular the boosted cars. the old BMW 328 3L inline 6 seems to be bulletproof.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:15 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
He could probably drive mine, since he lives in my area. Although my 6MT isn't stock by a number of considerations, and I don't know him from Adam. But hey, he's from Rochester, has BMW history, and oh hey! he's only a month older than me. So he's old, LOL.

Hahaha. I'm not too far behind you. Although I'm not to AARP age yet, but my parents keep reminding me that I'll be old enough to join their Senior Center in just a few years.

Originally Posted by canucklehead
while i never had complaints with the factory clutch setup of the G35/G37, i did install the RJM pedal and it certainly improves the feel and engagement. from a driveability standpoint, the OP should not be concerned. the opinions on this forum run the gamut so one really needs to drive one to formulate their own thoughts.

as for reliability, the majority of the gearbox is stout - with one exception being the CSC. not every 6MT will see CSC failure, however it is not unheard of. my dealer had not seen many failures when they replaced mine, so failures are definitely in the minority. this forum has a higher reporting since higher percentage are enthusiast 6MT owners and people in general report problems more than praise.

and while my CSC did not "fail", i complained about 'strange noises' enough that they went ahead and warrantied a re+re. the work order said "found CSC leaking". i then paid for the shop-manual-recommended Master Cylinder re+re, and they replaced the hydraulic fluid with GTR-spec stuff under warranty.

with the RJM supposedly reducing CSC wear i am hopeful for many more years of trouble-free ownership. when i compare my ownership experience to any of the 12+ friends/colleagues with the German comparables it is laughable how often they are without their cars. in particular the boosted cars. the old BMW 328 3L inline 6 seems to be bulletproof.

I definitely concur with you regarding your opinions on the German competition. I had a bad experience with my E36 M3, which went into the dealer for unscheduled maintenance 18 times in just under 2 years of ownership. I am just thankful the it was under warranty and we had a great dealer to deal with, but I eventually just got tired of not having the car around to drive. When it wasn't in the shop, it was a great car to drive, though, and contrary to most opinions I think it looked stellar... especially in Dakar Yellow!

Name:  M3-5.jpg
Views: 2276
Size:  57.4 KB
Old 12-30-2015, 08:52 PM
Otherbmw

Originally Posted by Rochester

Yeah my wife calls me an old man sometimes given my penchant to eat early and go to bed early! I live in Pittsford - not too far. I have a nephew that lives in irondequoit near the Wegmans and HOG. Another plus is that Dr. Zachary Smith was one of my favorite characters on Lost in Space though I preferred him in his original incarnation as an evil, more serious, saboteur!

I have also have a BMW 335 convertible that I store winters along with a '91 MR2 turbo that I bought new in 1991 - both manuals, of course! I'm looking to replace my '99 328i (also owned since new) with a fun, reliable, yet practical sedan and the G37S seems to fit the bill.

I'll send you a pm and maybe we can meet up.

Last edited by Otherbmw; 12-30-2015 at 09:04 PM.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:00 PM
Otherbmw

Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
Hahaha. I'm not too far behind you. Although I'm not to AARP age yet, but my parents keep reminding me that I'll be old enough to join their Senior Center in just a few years.

I definitely concur with you regarding your opinions on the German competition. I had a bad experience with my E36 M3, which went into the dealer for unscheduled maintenance 18 times in just under 2 years of ownership. I am just thankful the it was under warranty and we had a great dealer to deal with, but I eventually just got tired of not having the car around to drive. When it wasn't in the shop, it was a great car to drive, though, and contrary to most opinions I think it looked stellar... especially in Dakar Yellow!

I always loved the e36 M3 in yellow as well as techno violet!
Old 12-30-2015, 09:19 PM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 340 Likes on 275 Posts
Otherbmw:
I just moved from my 235,000 mile 2001 530 (same engine & tranny as your E46) to a G37S and here are the differences I noted:

(1) Clutch is different, but engagement is SOLID. After a day of driving it, you will get used to it.
(2) The shifter is very accurate and mechanical.
(3) You can hear the dual mass flywheel rattle and a little gear whine from the tranny.
(4) Compared to the BMW inline 6, the 3.7 is a cement mixer and you feel a lot of vibration through the shifter. At first I didn't want to rev the engine, but once you notice the power, you forget about the vibration.

BUT:
The G37 Sport gives you:
-Fantastic brakes with 14" rotors and a fixed 4 pot caliper front / 2 pot rear.
-A limited slip diff
-Fantastic power and all the right noises
-Double wishbone front suspension and quick ratio rack = fantastic initial turn in.
-MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL.... Japanese reliability!!!

Find one and go for TWO test drives a few days apart. Each test drive you will notice different things.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:34 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Otherbmw
Yeah my wife calls me an old man sometimes given my penchant to eat early and go to bed early! I live in Pittsford - not too far. I have a nephew that lives in irondequoit near the Wegmans and HOG. Another plus is that Dr. Zachary Smith was one of my favorite characters on Lost in Space though I preferred him in his original incarnation as an evil, more serious, saboteur!

I have also have a BMW 335 convertible that I store winters along with a '91 MR2 turbo that I bought new in 1991 - both manuals, of course! I'm looking to replace my '99 328i (also owned since new) with a fun, reliable, yet practical sedan and the G37S seems to fit the bill.

I'll send you a pm and maybe we can meet up.
Hudson Ave Wegmans and the Hog are on the other side of Irondequoit. I live in the neighborhood behind Donuts Delite, off Empire. Work at home, make my own hours within reason. Go right ahead and PM. Meet up on a day when the roads are dry and clear.

MR2 Turbo... sweet. So many toys.

Also, if you're serious about getting a 6MT Sedan, then plan on traveling to get the car. If you haven't figured it out yet, it's rare.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:01 PM
User 122320
Registered Member

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
I actually prefer the G37/Q60 manual vs the G35. The G35 had very high engagement point and was notchy. The G37 it in the middle and a lot smoother.

But, yes Slave/CSC tube seems to BREAK faster than the G35 Slave. I never had to replace my slave on my G35. On the Q60 it was replaced at 2800 miles.

No matter how bad people say the G37 6mt may be, it still 100x better than driving an Auto. And I came from a 7speed Q50 Sedan.

Quick Reply: Prospective G37 manual tranny buyer