Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Prospective G37 manual tranny buyer

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 12:12 AM
lobuzz311
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts
I may have exaggerated a *bit*, but if I got the ruler out, I wouldn't be surprised if I was very close. It's beyond apparent just staring down at the **** as I get on / get off throttle. Note that this is hammering the throttle and a sudden full lift, so the worst case scenario. But this replicates the conditions under hard driving pretty reasonably.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:28 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
Originally Posted by SonicVQ
Wow... That seems like a lot of movement. I will make a note of how much my shifter moves in y 2011 G37 tomorrow...
I never noticed that either, but then I never looked for it. I'd like to remember this next time I drive my car. Drove it this morning, actually... first time in days.

Here's a thing I've noticed about the G's transmission. Sometimes 2nd-to-3rd shifts catch a little bit, and it isn't as confident a gear change like each the other gear transitions. It's a subtle thing, and only happens once in a while. But like anything, once you notice it you start to see and expect it more often.

My last car had a similar problem, although much much more severe. The online community actually gave it a name: the 3rd Gear Crunch. Anyway, I can attest that everything I did to secure the shifter and the engine with aftermarket mods... each modification made an increasingly positive impact on the shifting experience. By the time I was done, my 3rd Gear Crunch was gone. In its place was an appreciable increase in NVH.

So I'm looking to this Z1 Tranny Mount for a similar relationship to my G, just not so much in the way of NVH, since noise is already somewhat peaked with the aftermarket exhaust.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:16 AM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by lobuzz311
I may have exaggerated a *bit*, but if I got the ruler out, I wouldn't be surprised if I was very close. It's beyond apparent just staring down at the **** as I get on / get off throttle. Note that this is hammering the throttle and a sudden full lift, so the worst case scenario. But this replicates the conditions under hard driving pretty reasonably.
i looked for this on my commute today. my shifter only moves a slight amount back/forth when accelerating hard or letting off the go pedal. perhaps 1/8" give or take either way, so up to 1/4" total movement from peak to peak. seems harmless enough to me.
Old 02-20-2016, 03:06 PM
Aporia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello everyone first time post.

After a 10 year hiatus from my last Nissan experience (z32 TT) I'm currently considering a 2010 G37 S 6MT sedan here in Dallas with ~36K miles. The deal looks good on paper but I wanted to get some advice from 6MT sedan owners on what areas to look out for during the pre-purchase inspection / evaluation.

Are there any known issues for the 6MTs or G37s in general?

I'm planning to take the vehicle up to the local Infiniti dealership and have them give me the rundown on any outstanding TSBs or detected issues but it would be very helpful if I knew what areas I should be extra careful.

Also, speaking of service centers and repairs, are there any non-dealer repair shops in the DFW area that you could recommend for repairs/upgrades to be done?

Thanks!

Aporia
Old 02-20-2016, 04:08 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
The CSC is a point of failure on these cars.

And the rear diff bushing is known to blow out.
Old 02-20-2016, 07:42 PM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 340 Likes on 275 Posts
Take it for a GOOD long test drive and then take it out again after a day or so.

The first test drive you are almost blinded by the power (I was) and great shifter. The second test drive you will notice the other things. (tricky clutch, light steering, sometimes touchy brakes)

The G37 S suspension is VERY stiff and the rack and pinion ratio is very quick, almost twitchy. (14.7:1 for sport vs 16.4 for the others)

The trunk opening is small and it can be difficult to get medium sized objects into it.

On the plus side, the Bose stereo is great and the handling is very good.
I am not trying to be negative, but these are the things I noticed after a few weeks of ownership. You experience will probably be different.
Old 02-22-2016, 01:33 AM
Aporia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SonicVQ
Take it for a GOOD long test drive and then take it out again after a day or so.

The first test drive you are almost blinded by the power (I was) and great shifter. The second test drive you will notice the other things. (tricky clutch, light steering, sometimes touchy brakes)

The G37 S suspension is VERY stiff and the rack and pinion ratio is very quick, almost twitchy. (14.7:1 for sport vs 16.4 for the others)

The trunk opening is small and it can be difficult to get medium sized objects into it.

On the plus side, the Bose stereo is great and the handling is very good.
I am not trying to be negative, but these are the things I noticed after a few weeks of ownership. You experience will probably be different.
I'll be coming from an '06 MX-5 so I'm sure the suspension and steering will feel fine. The trunk will be cavernous in comparison as well. :-)
Old 02-22-2016, 07:30 AM
Gary U

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Getting hard to find nice ones. I'm selling one that is in outstanding condition if interested:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g-s-fs/...-warranty.html
Old 03-08-2016, 02:54 PM
IracknBack
Premier Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
I have to disagree with this statement. the only other manual "performance" car I've owned was an E36 5speed. it was many years ago but I feel it was loads better than the G. I had a 2009 6MT sedan I bought in Jan of this year with 45K miles. I couldn't take it after 2 months. Clutch may have been going out, i dunno but the engagement points were all over the map and it chattered like crazy. I just bought a 2013 6MT sedan on Saturday with 26k miles and while a huge improvement over the 2009, I still don't feel it is as solid/smooth as my old E36.

But having driven the Xs model (paddle shifters) and owning now 2 of the 6MTs, I can't imagine enjoying this car nearly as much without a true clutch. YMMV

Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
I don't own a G with a manual, but my Dad has a G with the 6MT and also has an Annivrsary 350Z with the same 6MT tranny. And I can echo most of the opinion stated in this thread here... The 6MT tranny in these cars is one of the best manual transmissions I have driven... far better than the manual in my E36 M3 (which has an almost loose feel unless you replace the shifter/bushing with the unit from UUC Motorwerks or something similar) and it's almost as good as the manual tranny in my Porsche (which isn't stock anymore) and the manual in my old RX7. As many have mentioned, the only true drawback to the Infiniti/Nissan 6MT is the high clutch engagement and overall clutch feel. I actually think the clutch is a bit light for what is typically considered a performance car, but many complain that it is a bit stiff... I guess it's all a matter of opinion.

Either way, after 7+ years with the auto tranny (worst automatic tranny ever IMO) in my G the only thing I would change is I wish I had bought a 6MT... even though I have to live with L.A. traffic every day.

I suggest going to the Nissan dealer and finding a 370Z with 6MT tranny to drive. It would give you the same basic experience as the G37S (sans the rev matching button/option), or better yet, take Rochester up on his offer and let him take you for a spin in his car!