Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Prospective G37 manual tranny buyer

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 10:04 PM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 340 Likes on 275 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Go right ahead and PM. Meet up on a day when the roads are dry and clear.
Wow! Not many people would let a stranger driver their car, very nice!
Old 12-30-2015, 10:07 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
Originally Posted by SonicVQ
Wow! Not many people would let a stranger driver their car, very nice!
We'll see. Maybe maybe not. He has to know the secret Roc City handshake.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:52 PM
claudiohv

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
my 6mt 09 doesnt give me any issues... but i dont drive her hard... like ever. Sometimes I do and it feel solid... i used to drive a mt VW golf before.. didn;t like how the tranny felt TBH.
Old 12-31-2015, 10:40 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Otherbmw- I had an E46 M3 not long before getting the G37S so I can probably give you some good advice. The M3 was a great car, but I upgraded to the much shorter diesel shift lever and ZHP(?) shift **** as the stock shifting was nearly as long as rowing a boat. Comparatively, the G37 has a much shorter throw and really does not need a shift kit. I probably would have been fine with just a shorter shift ****, but ended up getting a short shifter as well (unnecessary).

The only real shortcoming with the shifting is that the engagement point for the clutch is a bit vague. I never really had a problem with it, but a lot of people on this site complained about it. Simple fix- jsolo clutch assist spring for about $25 in the group buy section. He will ship it to you so quickly your head will spin. Simple install and now it feels like a normal clutch.

I also had a 370Z prior to the G37- basically the same car, just missing 2 doors and a trunk. The thing that bothered me about that car and I noticed about the G37 was the slop I felt with the transmission moving around a bit. Oddly enough, not too many people complain about this on the site. Easily cured with a Z1motorsports transmission mount. You do get a bit of vibration, but you won't even notice it if you get a nice catback exhaust so you can actually hear the engine. (I went with Stillen exhaust and no complaints.)

With those simple mods my car feels every bit as fun to drive as the M3. But now I have better brakes, more technology and features, a bulletproof engine, and a car that is almost 10 years newer with a full warranty. I also no longer have to worry about vanos issues, the rear subframe cracking, a litany of electrical issues, the hard plastic bits inside cracking, $16/qt. oil, etc. No regrets.

You are in for a nice upgrade from your E46, but be prepared to fly to the G37S you find and road trip back as there are not many, especially if you are particular like me and want a 6sp. '13 with

Last edited by 4DRZ; 12-31-2015 at 10:45 AM.
Old 12-31-2015, 10:53 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Simple fix- jsolo clutch assist spring for about $25 in the group buy section. He will ship it to you so quickly your head will spin. Simple install and now it feels like a normal clutch.
I went that route, too, for about two years. All the while I described the jsolo clutch pedal spring as the best $20 you could ever spend on your 6MT. And I stand by that... it really is the best $20 you can spend on the 6MT.

However, upgrading to the RJM clutch pedal assembly is the true fix. The kind of fix that you look back on with regret for not doing it sooner. I remember once saying something like, why get a bionic arm when all you need is a band-aid? Well, I was wrong. Completely wrong.
  • On a scale of one to ten, the OEM clutch pedal is a 3.
  • Replace the spring, and you're at 5.
  • Replace the entire pedal assembly, and you hit 10.

Yes, those are meaningless numbers pulled out of thin air, but it really is that much better.

Last edited by Rochester; 12-31-2015 at 11:01 AM.
The following users liked this post:
skeener (12-31-2015)
Old 12-31-2015, 11:08 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I am sure the RJM clutch pedal assembly is a nice improvement and I may go that route down the road. I was more surprised that people complained about the clutch engagement instead of the movement of the tranny due to the soft trans mount. I thought the trans movement was more glaring. I am more than happy with the jsolo clutch spring.

By the way, I just posted up in my build thread some q's for you Rochester about your spacers since I sadly discovered yesterday that my pretty Evo wheels will not work on my G37 and I am back to duckfeet, but now with snows.
Old 12-31-2015, 11:17 AM
Dembflyr
Registered Member

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
I went that route, too, for about two years. All the while I described the jsolo clutch pedal spring as the best $20 you could ever spend on your 6MT. And I stand by that... it really is the best $20 you can spend on the 6MT.

However, upgrading to the RJM clutch pedal assembly is the true fix. The kind of fix that you look back on with regret for not doing it sooner. I remember once saying something like, why get a bionic arm when all you need is a band-aid? Well, I was wrong. Completely wrong.
  • On a scale of one to ten, the OEM clutch pedal is a 3.
  • Replace the spring, and you're at 5.
  • Replace the entire pedal assembly, and you hit 10.

Yes, those are meaningless numbers pulled out of thin air, but it really is that much better.
I am so close to pulling the trigger on the RJM and this post may have just pushed me over the edge.
I had a 370 and I didn't feel the need after I did the spring mod but my G, for some reason, is a horrible mess. I can't get used to this clutch.
I hate the high engagement and the 1-2 shift is hardly ever smooth.
My first mod to this car was the spring but it needs more than a bandaid.
I have been driving MT cars for almost 30 years and I've never had this much trouble getting used to a car.
Old 12-31-2015, 11:18 AM
Rochester
Administrator

I was more surprised that people complained about the clutch engagement instead of the movement of the tranny due to the soft trans mount. I thought the trans movement was more glaring.
I think you're king of trail-blazing that tranny mount mod, 4DRZ. Believe me, it's on my list. I'm looking forward to it, and pleased that you pointed it out to me. I'm targeting Fall 2016 for this, knock on wood.

By the way, I just posted up in my build thread some q's for you Rochester about your spacers since I sadly discovered yesterday that my pretty Evo wheels will not work on my G37 and I am back to duckfeet, but now with snows.
Roger that. All set.

Originally Posted by Dembflyr
I am so close to pulling the trigger on the RJM and this post may have just pushed me over the edge.
LOL. nudge nudge
Old 12-31-2015, 11:55 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I think you're king of trail-blazing that tranny mount mod, 4DRZ. Believe me, it's on my list. I'm looking forward to it, and pleased that you pointed it out to me. I'm targeting Fall 2016 for this, knock on wood.

Roger that. All set.
I guess the sensitivity of my hands is better than my feet to be noticing the trans more than the clutch. Or maybe I just got used to the clutch from the 370Z. Thanks for the help with the spacers
Old 12-31-2015, 12:48 PM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 340 Likes on 275 Posts
I was more surprised that people complained about the clutch engagement instead of the movement of the tranny due to the soft trans mount. I thought the trans movement was more glaring.
I wouldn't want the transmission/engine mounts any firmer, my dental plan doesn't cover fillings falling out. /jk

Just wondering, how is the movement of the transmission an issue for you?
Old 12-31-2015, 06:59 PM
Glenn2008
Registered Member

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
I've had my 6mt for 3 years now. When I first purchased it I noticed that the clutch was a little difficult to get used to, but after I began to drive the car more I was able to find the "sweet spot" so to speak. I do have the Joslo spring, so that could be helping the engagement. I believe that you will be in for a real treat if you drive Rochester's car. He has added several mods and is very influential by providing good updates and clear personal reviews. Go for it man!
Old 01-01-2016, 11:18 AM
Otherbmw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We'll see. Maybe maybe not. He has to know the secret Roc City handshake.
I think that might be the one I learned while eating a garbage plate at Nick Tahoes years ago when I was in grad school at the U of R!

Yes, I realize 6MT sedans are rare. There is one on Long Island that I found. There are a few more coupes with a 6MT but I want four doors.
Old 01-01-2016, 11:33 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SonicVQ
I wouldn't want the transmission/engine mounts any firmer, my dental plan doesn't cover fillings falling out. /jk

Just wondering, how is the movement of the transmission an issue for you?
Don't worry, you won't really FEEL very much difference with the mount in terms of vibration, but you will hear it unless you have an aftermarket exhaust.

Coming from very precise cars like my M3, STI, and Evo, the G37 transmission and engine mounts feel like they are made out of marshmallows for how much the transmission dances around. You can actually see the shifter move a lot under braking or acceleration. I realize why they do it- the VQ37 has a lot of vibration and they don't want that transmitted to the cabin in a luxury car. Same reason they have a dual mass flywheel.

The Z1 trans mount helps this issue a lot and makes shifting a lot more precise under load or braking. There is still a bit of movement, but not nearly as bad as the stock mount. I am considering the engine mounts, but also afraid like you that they will exceed my tolerance for vibrations.
Old 01-01-2016, 11:47 AM
Rochester
Administrator

The Z1 trans mount helps this issue a lot and makes shifting a lot more precise under load or braking.
I totally believe that. You'll experience much the same with stiffer engine mount bushings.

Originally Posted by Otherbmw
along with a '91 MR2 turbo that I bought new in 1991
Back in the 90's, there was a guy who would drive his red MR2 Turbo to work only on sunny days, and park it in the far corner of the Kodak R&D lot under a car cover. Seriously, a car cover, while at work.

I bet that was you.
Old 01-01-2016, 12:15 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I totally believe that. You'll experience much the same with stiffer engine mount bushings.
A bit off topic, but speaking of motor mounts- has anyone installed these on a G37S sedan? I have been searching for a review of these while looking at Z1 motor mounts and CZP BDE motor mounts, but I could only find people selling them or saying that the 370Z guys like the Z1 motor mounts.

I think these would take out the final bit of slop in the transmission, but I am hoping they would not introduce too much NVH.

Quick Reply: Prospective G37 manual tranny buyer