Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

rpms surge after 5500 rpm while in a curve --2nd gear-tire slip or differentia

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 09:01 PM
nethole
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rpms surge after 5500 rpm while in a curve --2nd gear-tire slip or differentia

While smoothly accelerating in a curve, I've very often gotten an rpm surge. (quickly up from 5500 to 6500). I can't quite tell if somehow I'm getting some odd throttle behavior where it decides (oh, ok, I guess you really want more throttle, and not the moderated one we were provided you before). Or, if I'm reaching the edge of traction of one of the rear tires, so there's some slip, rpm goes higher. If it were one of the rear tires losing traction, I would have thought I would have heard some squeal. Are there any unusual differential behaviors which could account for this? G37S 7AT. (traction control off --- private facility, not on public roads)
Old 11-15-2015, 01:50 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Are you in auto or manual mode? What is the gear indicator indicating? Is it downshifting?

If it is downshifting, you'd never have this issue with a true manual
The following users liked this post:
telcoman (11-15-2015)
Old 11-15-2015, 06:54 AM
nethole
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Jsolo
Are you in auto or manual mode? What is the gear indicator indicating? Is it downshifting?

If it is downshifting, you'd never have this issue with a true manual
As indicated in the title of the thread, 'in 2nd gear'. . And incase it wasn't clear: manual mode. no downshifting
Old 11-15-2015, 12:57 PM
Thirty_Seven

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts
You won't necessarily hear tires squealing, it's not as loud as it is in movies. Look for the SLIP indicator light on the dash if you have traction control on.
Old 11-15-2015, 02:21 PM
beng37s

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Thirty_Seven
You won't necessarily hear tires squealing, it's not as loud as it is in movies. Look for the SLIP indicator light on the dash if you have traction control on.
+1. Even with traction control off I sometimes don't notice tires slipping. We all know how when vdc is on when you lose traction it seems as if the car shuts off the throttle until traction is back, but I think with vdc off its a lot harder to notice, in my experience.
Old 11-15-2015, 02:32 PM
nethole
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Thirty_Seven
Original post stated traction control was off
Old 11-15-2015, 02:34 PM
nethole
Registered Member

Originally Posted by beng37s
+1. Even with traction control off I sometimes don't notice tires slipping. We all know how when vdc is on when you lose traction it seems as if the car shuts off the throttle until traction is back, but I think with vdc off its a lot harder to notice, in my experience.
Yes, traction control had to be turned off as it would go into the 'I see what you did there' mode, and kill the throttle for what seemed like .5 sec or more --- awful for timing purposes. Guess I'm going to have to practice more to judge 'tire slipping'. Tough when you're trying to slowly increase speeds to gauge what you can and can't do.
Old 11-16-2015, 12:02 PM
RickyBobby
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Yeah if traction control was off everything points to you were just getting it more than you thought but you must have been barely slipping if you didn't notice at the wheel and have to counter steer at all. I just picked up a G and I've been putting question marks all over the pavement, but I'm really excited to take it on frozen lakes in the winter and learn it all although I'll need snow tires to do so.