Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Auto Transmission fluid change - Nissan is full of it

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 01:50 AM
crookncastle
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts
transmission fluid whether auto or manual all need to be replaced. depending on your own driving conditions and driving habits, fluid should be changed at regular intervals be it 15k, 30k, or 60k. theres also a company called blackstone which will send you oil sample containers for free. they charge $25 to do oil sampling for the engine, trans, differential. they will notifiy you with the results of metal wear and percentage of normality or abnormality due to wear. i've personally sent them my engine oil and auto trans fluid and i'm very happy with their service.
Old 11-22-2015, 03:02 PM
johnnyn

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was charged $150 at Nissan for my g
Old 11-22-2015, 04:22 PM
si_driver
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyn
I was charged $150 at Nissan for my g
You sure it was done, and done correctly?

I believe it takes around 21 quarts to do right. And the cheapest I have ever seen Nissan sell their transmission fluid is $7.00.

That is almost $150 just for the fluid.. and no labor?
Old 11-22-2015, 11:45 PM
crookncastle
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by si_driver
You sure it was done, and done correctly?

I believe it takes around 21 quarts to do right. And the cheapest I have ever seen Nissan sell their transmission fluid is $7.00.

That is almost $150 just for the fluid.. and no labor?
a drain and refill trans service does not take 21qts of atf. the pan holds approximately 4qts of fluid.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:46 AM
krazyfiend
Registered Member

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by crookncastle
a drain and refill trans service does not take 21qts of atf. the pan holds approximately 4qts of fluid.
Per the factory service manual (for 370z and G's), a proper service consists of draining/filling 3x over (circulating the fluid in between each D&F). That is if you're waiting for 65-85k miles. If you're have the minimal 1x drain/fill done every 30-35k miles then that's basically doing the same thing.

It seems a bit more comes out of the pan...

https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...rop-clean.html

If a dealer is not using at least 15-16 qts for a full AT service... you're probably paying $125-150 for a minimal labor and *only* getting 1x drain and fill. Make sure any dealer spells out materials and labor so you know what their 'service' entails. If it is $150-200 range for a 3x procedure, the dealer is giving you a heck of deal on Matic-S fluid (like si_driver mentioned) / at their cost and giving a cut-throat rate on labor.

Last edited by krazyfiend; 11-23-2015 at 09:51 AM.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:05 AM
si_driver
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by crookncastle

He didn't say if it was just drain and filled up or all of the fluid was replaced.

BTW, it's more than 4 qts. I just did mine last week drained the pan and actually dropped the pan to clean it and and it had more than 6 qts.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:23 AM
jason05gt
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by krazyfiend
Per the factory service manual (for 370z and G's), a proper service consists of draining/filling 3x over (circulating the fluid in between each D&F). That is if you're waiting for 65-85k miles. If you're have the minimal 1x drain/fill done every 30-35k miles then that's basically doing the same thing.

It seems a bit more comes out of the pan...

If a dealer is not using at least 15-16 qts for a full AT service... you're probably paying $125-150 for a minimal labor and *only* getting 1x drain and fill. Make sure any dealer spells out materials and labor so you know what their 'service' entails. If it is $150-200 range for a 3x procedure, the dealer is giving you a heck of deal on Matic-S fluid (like si_driver mentioned) / at their cost and giving a cut-throat rate on labor.
I had mine done at 60K at the dealer because it was cheap. I think I paid about $100 with a coupon. They did a 1x drain and fill charging me for 4 quarts of Matic-S. I'll probably DIY this again at 90-100K.

The 3X drain and fill is a bit overkill in my opinion. It's done to ensure fresh fluid is flushed throughout the trans. But even with a 1x drain and fill you are getting the majority of the old fluid out. Think about it this way. Do you do a drain and fill 3X when you change your motor oil?
The following users liked this post:
socketz67 (11-23-2015)
Old 11-23-2015, 10:44 AM
krazyfiend
Registered Member

Originally Posted by jason05gt

The 3X drain and fill is a bit overkill in my opinion. It's done to ensure fresh fluid is flushed throughout the trans. But even with a 1x drain and fill you are getting the majority of the old fluid out. Think about it this way. Do you do a drain and fill 3X when you change your motor oil?
A bit off on that logic since the oil is changed every 3-5-7k miles for most people. You got a decent deal and I wonder what they would have charged to do the full process rather than the 'easy out' and less 'arduous' by the book, routine.

Yes, it's a dilution factor when doing 3x the procedure, same as when you do a 1x drain and fill. You're only replacing about 28% of the fluid with new fluid on a 1x fill and then mixing it with quite a bit of the old, still better than just doing nothing..and great if you plan to do it every 30-35k miles.

With the 3x drain and fill you're getting about 80-85% new fluid mixed with the old. Perhaps overkill, but it's cheap insurance/preventive maintenance for the livelihood of the transmission imo. I think a 1x fill is quite the money maker for dealers and you can see the true costs when they quote on what the *full* procedure is when pressed that they're doing one third of the the Factory Service Manual says the procedure entails. They're full of **** if they just triple their transmission service fill by three.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:39 PM
latino914
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

This is how much I payed for mine to be done at a Nissan dealer. This is just a drain and refill not a flush. From what I was told the torque converter holds about 40% of transmission fluid and the pan holds 60%.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:28 PM
jason05gt
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A bit off on that logic since the oil is changed every 3-5-7k miles for most people. You got a decent deal and I wonder what they would have charged to do the full process rather than the 'easy out' and less 'arduous' by the book, routine.

Yes, it's a dilution factor when doing 3x the procedure, same as when you do a 1x drain and fill. You're only replacing about 28% of the fluid with new fluid on a 1x fill and then mixing it with quite a bit of the old, still better than just doing nothing..and great if you plan to do it every 30-35k miles.

With the 3x drain and fill you're getting about 80-85% new fluid mixed with the old. Perhaps overkill, but it's cheap insurance/preventive maintenance for the livelihood of the transmission imo. I think a 1x fill is quite the money maker for dealers and you can see the true costs when they quote on what the *full* procedure is when pressed that they're doing one third of the the Factory Service Manual says the procedure entails. They're full of **** if they just triple their transmission service fill by three.
Oil has a much harsher life though due to the combustion process

Do you know how much fluid the trans actually holds? The service manual does not list a capacity. I have a TSB for checking fluid saved and it's 4 quarts to fill and up to 2 quarts to top off. The whole process isn't very precise in my opinion.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:37 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by jason05gt
Oil has a much harsher life though due to the combustion process

Do you know how much fluid the trans actually holds? The service manual does not list a capacity. I have a TSB for checking fluid saved and it's 4 quarts to fill and up to 2 quarts to top off. The whole process isn't very precise in my opinion.
I went through about 14.5 qts w/ the 3x D&F, there does seem to be a lot of mystery around this whole procedure, and certainly when it needs to be done and which process should be applied. A simple drain & fill should suffice if you want to do it every 20-25k miles.
Old 11-24-2015, 04:04 PM
bri

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
I think a 1x fill is quite the money maker for dealers and you can see the true costs when they quote on what the *full* procedure is when pressed that they're doing one third of the the Factory Service Manual says the procedure entails. They're full of **** if they just triple their transmission service fill by three.
dealer near me said they never heard of a 3x fill, the 1x fill costs $150 and would just be done three times if that's what I want guess I'm just doing 1x or see what a Nissan dealer has to say
Old 11-24-2015, 04:28 PM
krazyfiend
Registered Member

Originally Posted by bri
dealer near me said they never heard of a 3x fill, the 1x fill costs $150 and would just be done three times if that's what I want guess I'm just doing 1x or see what a Nissan dealer has to say
Reference AT - Changing

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/G37/Coupe/2012/TM.pdf

pages TM-258 and TM-259.... you'll notice what is meant by '3x'-- it's a matter of them using the Consult III tool, getting the transmission to a specific temp and then repeating the process basically 2 more times. That should tell you enough about the person you spoke to and their understanding of Infiniti maintenance procedures pertaining to the transmission.

I will agree, if your go by what the manual says, and perhaps some is wasted due to the DIY'ers not having a Consult III / measuring tranny fluid temps... 10 qts of Matic-S fluid (or something that meets the specs of Matic-S) should cover the change out.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:55 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 284 Likes on 238 Posts
Originally Posted by bri
Maybe it's a terminology misunderstanding. Dealers normally offer both services, Drain and Fill or Flush and Fill. The flush is obviously more because it requires more fluid and some addition time to connect the machine that pushes the old fluid out of the torque converter.

I have never had a flush done on any car I've owned, but religiously do a drain and fill at 30k mile intervals. No transmission issues to date.

Flushes get some bad press online and many online say they cause damage to the seals and such, but I don't think that there is any proof behind these acquisitions. Dealers (who pretty much follow guidelines provided by the manufacture) would not offer them if there was evidence that they caused damage to the transmission.
Old 09-02-2019, 03:20 PM
Eddie Elezaj

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by blnewt
Actually the manual is pretty vague, it states only in the "Premium Service" column that it's optional to flush the ATF every 30k miles, not required. And for the Service 1 and Service 2 sections it never states the Transmission fluid needs to be flushed. It says Automatic Transmission Fluid checked (except 7 speed Automatic Transmission), lol.

And FWIW I just DIYd mine a couple thousand miles ago, I did the 14.5 qt 3x drain & fill. I used Valvoline Max life ATF, it's one of the only aftermarket ATFs that has Nissan Matic S on it's label. Pulling the pan to clean the buildup and cleaning the magnets is one big plus to going that route. Shifts and overall transmission performance has improved somewhat.

Here's the DIY
Just wanted to go over this alittle bit. RE7R01A transmission, which is the seven speed transmissions found in the G37 does not accept Valvoline Maxlife ATF. I worked at Valvoline for 4 years, maxlife atf is a very universal transmission fluid although is NOT to be used in the seven speed transmission G37. At Valvoline, all vehicle information is sent to us by The manufacturer. Nissan/Infiniti stated the seven speed transmission CANNOT take Valvoline Maxlife ATF, although the 6 speed automatic G35 CAN. Hope this helps,Valvoline Maxlife ATF overall sucks anyways, so dont put it into your car if its the wrong fluid
The following users liked this post:
slartibartfast (09-02-2019)

Quick Reply: Auto Transmission fluid change - Nissan is full of it