Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Thinking of turbocharging my g37

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 06:11 PM
Marcelinom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thinking of turbocharging my g37

Okay so I have had my 2008 G37 6mt for about a year and a half now and I am thinking about twin turbo charging my G37 but I have about 114k on it and want to know if this is something I should really worry about. I know these VQ motors are practically bullet proof but I just want to make sure I can do this with out blowing my motor. Its basically stock and I have done every maintenance required and have been on top of it to make sure it runs good, so its been well taken care of especially since I work at an Infiniti dealership in Hartford CT. So if you guys can just give your opinion on weather or not twin turbo charging my motor is something I should do or not that would be great. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:41 PM
NeverBoneStock
Premier Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
Is your car paid off??
Old 10-08-2015, 11:35 PM
JUMBO PALACE
Registered Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcelinom
Okay so I have had my 2008 G37 6mt for about a year and a half now and I am thinking about twin turbo charging my G37 but I have about 114k on it and want to know if this is something I should really worry about. I know these VQ motors are practically bullet proof but I just want to make sure I can do this with out blowing my motor. Its basically stock and I have done every maintenance required and have been on top of it to make sure it runs good, so its been well taken care of especially since I work at an Infiniti dealership in Hartford CT. So if you guys can just give your opinion on weather or not twin turbo charging my motor is something I should do or not that would be great. Thanks in advance.
Hey OP. You clearly have some concept of how serious a mod a twin turbo setup is but I still don't think you're giving this enough caution. I don't know too too much about going forced induction on these cars but on most cars you can't just slap twin turbos on a stock car and call it a day no matter how well taken care of its been. You need supporting mods to make sure your engine doesn't blow up. If you want to go this route do A LOT of research into what needs to be done to get it right the first time.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:03 AM
Lt8Che
'Cuz Racemod-erator

Received 316 Likes on 204 Posts

Do your research, make sure you have good components and save a good amount of funds and then DO IT
Old 10-09-2015, 12:58 PM
Broken Arrow

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If your G is 7 speed auto, I believe that will be the weakest link even if you successfully pull off a twin turbo install.

If you even try, the best way to biturbo a car is with sequentially fired and differentially sized units.

U might be better off supercharging the G.
Old 10-09-2015, 01:34 PM
xnick101
Registered Member

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
The VQ37HR is good for 500 hp on stock everything. Theres a TT g37 coupe that fast intentions just finished at 550 whp on stock internals,80k miles. The weakest parts in the motor is rods and pistons aka bottom end. Change those and you will no problems. Also tuning on this car is the biggest thing. Take it to a tuner that actually understands the VQ and not a first time tuner. I've seen people with bad tunes grenade their turbo motors at 400 hp. Since youre 6mt you will have no transmission issues, i've seen cd009's all day near 1000 hp. I do believe the fuel pump and injectors need to be upgraded though
Old 10-09-2015, 01:40 PM
Marcelinom

I am going to do a compression check on the motor and course upgrade fuel system injectors, fuel pump, etc. Was just curious if I didnt do a full motor build and ran maybe 6psi to 8psi for now if I would have to worry about it blowing up on me. I am more into the twin turbo setup cause along the line its a lot easier to make power with the turbos than a supercharger. And yes its a 6 speed manual haven't owned an automatic car ever. The kit I am looking at is fast intentions and a kit that a place called turbo kits sells here in ct.
Old 10-09-2015, 01:44 PM
xnick101
Registered Member

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Yeah I would do a compression test and check all the seals, pretty much have someone that knows what they are doing look at the entire motor and check everything. Fast Intentions TT kit is really nice would go for it. If you run about 450 hp the motor will be reliable all day long. My friend has his own shop and he builds and boosts VQ's. I am in there all the time, looking to do mine soon once my loan is done.
Old 10-09-2015, 01:51 PM
Marcelinom

Yeah was gonna have one of my buddies in service take a look at the motor and tell me if everything checks out. Was gonna go for around 430whp when I put the turbos on.
The following users liked this post:
Jamesnash14141 (01-11-2022)
Old 10-09-2015, 09:38 PM
User 122320
Registered Member

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
I wouldn't. You know how much money it would cost to do it right? And even after that, you know how many people regret doing it?

Unlike Cars that come turbo'd from the factory, aftermarket turbos are just a hassle.

I know because I've been through it. Did it to my Acura Integra. Not only did it stink, from running rich to prevent detonation, there was always something wrong, leaking and who knows what else.

I and I spent $$$$ on forged JE pistons, new rings, rebuilding the block, new head gasket, wasted money on a blockguard that I didn't use because the installer said it cause more trouble than it would prevent.

Tuned it with Hondata and everything.

After it was all said and done. I was happy for about 1 month before the regrets started to knock on the door. I spent about 6k total in parts and labor... And this was a Acura Integra.

Not sure how much it would cost on a G...

And my car wasn't just build by some random shop. It was built by jojo callos.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:52 PM
Jonesmeister11
Premier Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
I've always been told, and even held true with my turbo swap on my GTI. You really need to figure the quote and a half more what your quote is for the materials and labor. Think of it as ICE insurance. It'd suck to have something happen and be without a car to go to work, but you need to go to work to get the car back kinda ordeal. Good luck!
Old 10-10-2015, 09:25 AM
PongSanity

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts
Clutch fan: because you had problems going boost doesn't mean the op would. My friends have a turbo civic and a turbo integra and the only problem they have is wanting more boost.

I say go boost. Torque is what would kill the stock block so keep the torque to like 500 and you'll be fine
Old 10-10-2015, 11:44 AM
LexiG37

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I think your car is getting a little old to be putting big $$ into it.
Old 10-10-2015, 04:43 PM
User 122320
Registered Member

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by PongSanity
Clutch fan: because you had problems going boost doesn't mean the op would. My friends have a turbo civic and a turbo integra and the only problem they have is wanting more boost.

I say go boost. Torque is what would kill the stock block so keep the torque to like 500 and you'll be fine
How do they deal with smog checks?
Old 10-10-2015, 04:50 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
How much money do you have set aside for this?

Quick Reply: Thinking of turbocharging my g37