Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

08 G37 Not Starting - Weird

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 12:19 AM
Gio37
Registered Member

Received 244 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by Steven Han
yup. It's been replaced that's why I closed it up. Then i realize my damn camshaft sprocket was completely off 😭😭 but good catch though. That's the first thing I noticed when I opened the engine up. Kill 2 birds with one stone haha.
wow, Im sure it was a heck of job getting this done

Old 01-14-2019, 12:22 AM
Steven Han

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gio37
wow, Im sure it was a heck of job getting this done
Well I spent literally an hour a day working on it for the past 2 months cause I've been busy working. So last couple of days I've been really spending a lot of time on it. I think the hardest thing getting off was the crankshaft pulley bolt out cause it was literally in fuse with the damn pulley. Other than that everything else was pretty much a straight shot.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:06 AM
markops2002
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Steven - How far off do you think the phaser is ? Mine was off by about 10 degrees. I replaced it (both sides) with ones I bought new from RockAuto.com. Think they ran about $150 new each - Hitachi brand.
I disassembled one of the cam phasers. I wanted to see if the internals were gummed up and clogged. The inside of the phaser looked fine. The decoder ring pops off with a bit of force. Not sure how I would get it pressed back on with the part on the engine. After everything I had gone through I know in my case it the shifted phaser that was off causing the engine to throw that single P0340 code. Not sure how it can shift like that - Ive seen pictures of worse.
I have pics of the cam phaser I took apart - I'll try to find and post.
What was the problems with the $500 engine you purchased ? Did they say ? Oh and were you getting a P0340 code before you did your work - or what ECU codes were popping up ?
Pete
Old 01-14-2019, 07:14 AM
markops2002
Registered Member

Steven - pic of my passenger side cam phaser. Old vs. New. Think I may have posted this somewhere else too.
Guess it may have been more than 10 degrees off....

Replaced both phasers, all three chains, sprockets and most of the chain tensioners. After putting back together the engine actually purred like a kitten.
Got rid of the code and the engine ran great.
The following users liked this post:
MStrike (11-22-2020)
Old 01-14-2019, 07:14 AM
Steven Han

Originally Posted by markops2002
Hey Steven - How far off do you think the phaser is ? Mine was off by about 10 degrees. I replaced it (both sides) with ones I bought new from RockAuto.com. Think they ran about $150 new each - Hitachi brand.
I disassembled one of the cam phasers. I wanted to see if the internals were gummed up and clogged. The inside of the phaser looked fine. The decoder ring pops off with a bit of force. Not sure how I would get it pressed back on with the part on the engine. After everything I had gone through I know in my case it the shifted phaser that was off causing the engine to throw that single P0340 code. Not sure how it can shift like that - Ive seen pictures of worse.
I have pics of the cam phaser I took apart - I'll try to find and post.
What was the problems with the $500 engine you purchased ? Did they say ? Oh and were you getting a P0340 code before you did your work - or what ECU codes were popping up ?
Pete
I was getting the p0340 code before so when I opened up the engine I noticed my galley gasket has blown but no code was popping up for that. So I replaced both and the water pump. Thinking that was the issue but then when I closed it up and it hit me to check the sprockets. That's when I knew lol
Old 01-14-2019, 09:53 AM
markops2002
Registered Member

Stephen - Hope these pics help someone.
These are of my camshaft phaser on the intake side of the engine (passenger) - Bank 1. Didnt find any sludge or gumming of the vanes.

g37x Camshaft Phaser Intake Side - Bank 1 Disassembly

Old 01-14-2019, 10:00 AM
Steven Han

These are of my camshaft phaser on the intake side of the engine (passenger) - Bank 1. Didnt find any sludge or gumming of the vanes.

Hey, I appreciate you. I decided I'm just going to purchase the whole sprocket and the replace the whole thing as a whole.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:04 AM
Steven Han

just a curious question. What did you torque down the bolts to?
Old 01-14-2019, 11:13 AM
markops2002
Registered Member

Which bolts you referring to ?
Old 01-14-2019, 11:15 AM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 340 Likes on 275 Posts
Nice pics! Thanks for sharing.

How difficult was it to remove the sensor/tone ring?
Old 01-14-2019, 11:53 AM
Steven Han

Which bolts you referring to ?
the sprockets. When you took the phase apart. I'm assuming you put it back together? I was just curious what you torque the bolts too
Old 01-14-2019, 12:17 PM
markops2002
Registered Member

Stephen -
The phaser sprocket has some sore of proprietary bolts (4) holding the cover on. Used a vise grip to loosen them and take it apart. I didnt replace it . I bought new ones from rockauto (both intake and exhaust sides) to replace on the engine. Dont know about what the torque would be on assembly. Id go 'bubba tight' if youre thinking of disassembling and reassembling for reuse. Most everything having to do with infiniti/nissan engine repair has got a documented torque value - but these werent intended on being taken apart. I just did because I wanted to know what they looked like inside and if they were junk. I was surprised to see they looked good. I guess I could reassemble mine and press the decoder ring back on and re-use it.

The ring was a bit hard to pry out. Had the phaser held in a vise and used a screwdriver to try and evenly pry it off. I think at some point i may have used a small prybar.

Thinking more about it - there may be a way to pull off the cam phaser decoder ring with the assembly still installed if you use one of those smaller gear pullers (?) but not sure how to install it (press) it back so it seats evenly in the right orientation.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:06 PM
Steven Han

Talking

Stephen -
The phaser sprocket has some sore of proprietary bolts (4) holding the cover on. Used a vise grip to loosen them and take it apart. I didnt replace it . I bought new ones from rockauto (both intake and exhaust sides) to replace on the engine. Dont know about what the torque would be on assembly. Id go 'bubba tight' if youre thinking of disassembling and reassembling for reuse. Most everything having to do with infiniti/nissan engine repair has got a documented torque value - but these werent intended on being taken apart. I just did because I wanted to know what they looked like inside and if they were junk. I was surprised to see they looked good. I guess I could reassemble mine and press the decoder ring back on and re-use it.

The ring was a bit hard to pry out. Had the phaser held in a vise and used a screwdriver to try and evenly pry it off. I think at some point i may have used a small prybar.

Thinking more about it - there may be a way to pull off the cam phaser decoder ring with the assembly still installed if you use one of those smaller gear pullers (?) but not sure how to install it (press) it back so it seats evenly in the right orientation.
Ahhh, I got you. I'm so glad I joined this forum haha. Yall too awesome.
markops2002 (01-14-2019)
Old 01-26-2019, 07:49 AM
markops2002
Registered Member

Hey - I forgot - I did a youtube video of taking apart the cam phaser on the g37x. It was a while back. Same one I posted pics of.
Getting old I guess.
Pete
SonicVQ (01-26-2019)
Old 01-26-2019, 09:33 AM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 340 Likes on 275 Posts
Hey - I forgot - I did a youtube video of taking apart the cam phaser on the g37x. It was a while back. Same one I posted pics of.
Getting old I guess.
Pete
Thanks for posting all the pics and the video. For an engine geek like me, this is GOLD!

Here is a link to the video:

Quick Reply: 08 G37 Not Starting - Weird