Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Slow downshifts/Grounding Kits

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 02:52 PM
rulucki2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2012 G37 Sedan 7 A/T and was wondering if adding a grounding kit would help with my downshifts. Or these a fact of life in the new 7 speeds? My biggest gripe about my car are the sloow downshifts. Going 40-60's i feel like the downshifts are terribly slow. Usually by time it decides to downshift i no longer need it to. Anyone have a positive experience in using grounding kits to help this? I haven't really heard of anything else helping, but these kits, and thinking it's worth a try.

Thoughts? Any other options? Take it to the dealer and complain??

Last edited by rulucki2; 07-14-2015 at 12:01 PM.
Old 07-07-2015, 04:26 PM
HoldmyMouse

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts
Are you referring slow manual downshift or computer doesn't like to downshift?
Old 07-07-2015, 04:54 PM
Broski28
Registered Member

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts
I have a 7 A/T sedan as well and just installed a stillen grounding kit. So far i like it alot, it helped with upshift and downshift lag. Its no where near the DCT speed if thats what your looking for but it definitely helps!
Old 07-07-2015, 06:52 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts
My shifting improved dramatically after I cleaned my throttle bodies, installed a grounding kit and reset my ECU.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:26 AM
rulucki2

I guess some added info is i am running Stillen CAI, stillen HFC, uprev tune (had stillen exhaust, but had too much drone so i sold it and put stock back on), but the guy that tuned it says the tune has nothing to do with shifting or shifting points. I dont know enough to know if that's true or not. bringing it to another shop that does uprev tunes soon to see what they think. if i dont get it where i want it i am going back to stock with it. i feel like the CAI hurt the low RPM band.

@HoldmyMouse- mainly referring to computer downshift. no manual mode. although when i am in manual mode and upshift it does take it a bit to shift then as well. i've read the grounding kit may help with this. seems people are on either side of the fence, but right now i don't know what else to try and biggest harm is i waste a few dollars.

@broski28- if only I had DCT! lol i really wish i would have skipped the G and got an S4!!

@rexhavoc- i bought it new and only have 39k on it. cant imagine the throttle bodies are that dirty. i have reset my ecu a few times as well and no luck.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:56 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts
That's about what I had on mine when I cleaned them as well. They weren't awful but they were a little sticky. You'd be surprised. I seafoamed at the same time since I was already into it. Will probably do the same this weekend if I change my plugs.

IMO a Stillen CAI will impact your low end and mid range though generally seems to increase your top end. I'm running the R2Cs which seem to give me some gains in the mid-range. I'm tuned with EcuTek which has had a slight positive impact, or perceived impact, on the shifting.

I forget what I paid for the BB kit but it served me well; only took it off to use the new one that matches the bay better.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:14 AM
krazyfiend
Registered Member

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts
I cleaned my throttle bodies at 30k miles. I was surprised to say the least. Not a ridiculous amount of build-up, but enough to make the task worth it. I didn't disconnect any of the TBS electricals nor did I move the butterfly valve (debatable topic), and fortunately I didn't have to perform the idle air relearn procedure as some have. Even if I would have, cleaning the TB's has become part of my every 25-30k mile maintenance routine as I was pleased with restored throttle input and responsiveness through the gears.

Although it's the downshifts the OP is focused primarily on.. considering how finicky and sensitive it seems our engine management is to TB input, I'd try and see what cleaning them yields.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:20 PM
CPJ LB
Registered Member

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by rulucki2
I have a 2012 G37 Sedan 7 A/T and was wondering if adding a grounding kit would help with my downshifts. Or these a fact of life in the new 7 speeds? My biggest gripe about my car are the sloow downshifts. Going 40-60's i feel like the downshifts are terribly slow. Usually by time it decides to downshift i no longer need it to. Anyone have a positive experience in using grounding kits to help this? I haven't really heard of anything else helping, but these kits, and thinking it's worth a try.

Thoughts? Any other options? Take it to the dealer and complain??
I'm new to the G37 platform, but have several years experience with the VQ35DE motor (I had an 06 M35)...I love the 7 A/T, but initially had to 'learn' driving it in different modes - auto: normal & spirited, DS: normal & spirited... I noticed the difference in shifting smoothness and responsiveness after I installed the Stillen grounding kit and getting Uprev'd. As with my M35, I had a grounding kit (by SxExCx) and was Uprev'd tuned - great results as well.

as far as what others have mentioned (cleaning throttle body), that is something that I do as well...in addition to cleaning the MAF sensors. I don't have a CAI but have aFe dry filters with the stock air boxes.

If you decide to take your car to the dealer for the Transmission TSB, just be sure to go back to your tuner beforehand so they can save your tune and flash your car back to stock...after you get the TSB completed, go back to your tuner and have your tune put back to your car... My M35 had the accelerator pedal recall which Infiniti had to flash the ecu, so prior to me getting the recall done, I went to my tuner -- as mentioned above.

hope this helps....
Old 07-08-2015, 01:50 PM
i heart ricers
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts
ecu reset ?

transmission update ?
Old 07-08-2015, 02:26 PM
rulucki2

any certain brand recommended for the grounding kits? only ones i can really find are the stillen ones and read some mixed reviews of them on here.

ill have to check into cleaning the throttle bodies (although my shifting has been like this since day 1). i live in the city and have no garage, so my only way to get work done is the a dealer/garage :-x
Old 07-08-2015, 02:38 PM
i heart ricers
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts
any certain brand recommended for the grounding kits? only ones i can really find are the stillen ones and read some mixed reviews of them on here.

ill have to check into cleaning the throttle bodies (although my shifting has been like this since day 1). i live in the city and have no garage, so my only way to get work done is the a dealer/garage :-x
https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...nding-kit.html
Old 07-08-2015, 02:42 PM
Ricio1991
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 102 Posts

Did you go to the dealer for the transmission updates? There's two of them that have to be done for the 7 speed auto
Old 07-08-2015, 05:02 PM
rulucki2

i haven't. not even sure if there are any. i bought it new in 11-2011 as an 2012 model. do you know if there's an update for it for sure? also, i think i have to get my uprev tune removed, get the update, and then get the tune redone or something. not quite sure.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:58 PM
malady

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
i haven't. not even sure if there are any. i bought it new in 11-2011 as an 2012 model. do you know if there's an update for it for sure? also, i think i have to get my uprev tune removed, get the update, and then get the tune redone or something. not quite sure.

no point in getting the update If you have uprev.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:20 PM
rulucki2

is the update for everything stored in the ecu and just written over with the uprev tune?

Quick Reply: Slow downshifts/Grounding Kits