Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Finally got to it - throttle body clean / grounding kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 11:11 AM
Stachuu
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Finally got to it - throttle body clean / grounding kit

Hey folks,

This weekend was nice and I have lots of projects overdue on my car. So last Sunday I knocked off throttle body cleaning and wiring grounding kit.

TB - was pretty nasty, look at the microfiber rag.

.. and of course the DYI grounding wire/kit

Old 06-22-2015, 11:26 AM
Flakman
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts
Thoughts on the TB cleaning? No issues with idle?

How did you go about cleaning? Did you disconnect the battery first, how did you deal with the tb and plenum when you disconnected? Needing to clean mine (now at 101,000) and want to avoid any TB position relearn issues.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:57 AM
Stachuu
Registered Member

I left everything connected, I was careful with not disconnecting any cables on TB as I was cleaning. When I started the car after this was over, the RPM climbed up 2k, then slowly went down to 700. I let the car idle for 10 min. Now everything is fine.

Also I was careful when pushing on the butterfly inside the TB, made sure I didn't let it snap to neutral position, after cleaning edges on the top and bottom.

In the end I think I should have left negative on the battery disconnected to prevent anything goofy happen. Next time I do my spark plugs I will disconnect negative on the battery and do some extra touch up on the TB.

By the way I got 68k miles on the car and the TB o'rings didn't need replacement. So yes I would disconnect battery first, if I was to do it again.
The following 2 users liked this post by Stachuu:
blnewt (06-22-2015), Flakman (06-22-2015)
Old 06-22-2015, 08:25 PM
Stachuu
Registered Member

Forgot to mention, after installing grounding kit and driving 20 miles, the 7AT shifting is little firmer now in D and DS mode.
The following users liked this post:
ColumbiaSkinny (06-22-2015)
Old 06-23-2015, 01:41 PM
tite_tite
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Stachuu

Also I was careful when pushing on the butterfly inside the TB, made sure I didn't let it snap to neutral position, after cleaning edges on the top and bottom.

i did my cleaning about 10,000 miles ago & starting to notice that it needs to be clean again.

i know on my 1st time, i was a little afraid of moving the butterfly to clean so i forgot if i had cleaned it or not.

i think it was kind of stiff in moving so i didn't mess w/ to prevent problems. can you give me some pointers on how you cleaned the butterfly? did you cleaned thoroughly or it was just the edges. thanks.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:36 PM
Stachuu
Registered Member

I just used the microfiber towel, sprayed on it TB cleaner and went around the outer sides of the butterfly on both sides. Also same for the outer walls of the throttle body. Than I pushed butterfly on the bottom so it opens.

Since its spring loaded? you need to use your finger to hold it, and other hand to use a rag. Keep the rag moist in the TB cleaner. Its not very comfortable but take your time on it.

I also used smaller allen wrench, because the edge is flat I wrapped microfiber rag over it, spray it with TB cleaner and got into little harder to reach places, that I couldn't access with finger.

Hope it helps. Just take time, once you finish one side, do the other side as the first one dries out. Long story short, don't leave out any tar like residue inside of the TB. Just clean it best you can.
The following 2 users liked this post by Stachuu:
Flakman (06-23-2015), tite_tite (06-24-2015)