Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

ATTESA driving tips discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 02:03 PM
Cloud City

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATTESA driving tips discussion

Hi All,

After searching on our great site as well as others, I have a much deeper technical appreciation for ATTESA. What I'd like to get now are some practical tips for getting the most out of the system - whether it is everyday confidence in rain or snow to no-scare track time in the wet, I'm interested!

I have experience with traditional 4WD (trucks) and AWD (Subaru), and I expected ATTESA to be similar to AWD, but have found this not to be the case. Most of the time it is great, and I love the responsiveness of RWD bias in dry conditions. However, I did have one "oh $hit!" moment as I was purposefully misbehaving in wet conditions to see how far ATTESA would let me go - as it turns out, you can be much more of a meat head and get away with it in an AWD Subaru vs a G37xS. While I didn't spin, I had to lift the throttle mid way though a sweeping left hander because it was pushing too much. In (modern) Subies, the car figures out that I'm being an idiot and the differential wizards do their job, and the car pulls a nice powerslide out of the turn. Should I approach these situations that the G is RWD? Better throttle modulation, lighter in/heavier out?

Not to be a **** to the rest of you dealing with this winter, but we didn't get any snow this year in Seattle and I just don't have enough opportunities to see what it will do in the snow. All tips and tricks welcome!

My 2013 xS feels great in the rain, standing water, and all levels of dampness. No skitter, nervousness beyond what is inherent with 19" wheels and low profile rubber. I don't drive like an idiot when it is dry, so I generally don't have to change my driving behavior at all in the rain.

Thanks guys!

Will
Old 03-11-2015, 02:32 PM
Flakman
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts
Interesting. I have had a hard time getting my xS to break the rear end free even in the rain (running 245/40/19s). But then again, I don't have anywhere I feel safe enough to "really" push the limits to really get it to break loose. Usually turning VDC off and doing a WOT turn from a stop is the best I can get and be safe and legal. Even then, I do get a sense of the RWD bias though, and can see how that would differ from the Subaru AWD system. With that said, I do like the stickiness of the xS . I will likely not get a real chance to check out the limits any further until I hit up an autocross somewhere since track days are a bit on the spendy side. Any other info by the x crew would definitely be appreciated.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:44 PM
G37Xtreme

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts
Drive it like you stole it

Just yesterday, I was at the limits of my All-Season tires. First time I squeeled while taking a turn since installing the Hotchkis sway bars. I had to let up a little. I can't recall the details, but perhaps today, I'll try to pay attention to the speed when I do it again. I want to say it was definately 40mph or less, and it was a 90 degree right...but the turn opened to 2 lanes so I had room to wiggle. I kept traction control on the whole time.
The following users liked this post:
rdreeman (02-07-2020)
Old 03-12-2015, 01:33 PM
oewoko
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i also came from a subaru wrx, stage 2.

i felt disappointed in the G's awd because of the lack of fun it lets me have.

no matter what i try, she just goes straight.

i guess for the majority of the intended users, that's how the awd was designed to do
Old 03-12-2015, 06:20 PM
VQ-Vic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I didn't like how the AWD's suspension was set up.
just like oewoko.

An easy fix for me is I bought just rear Hotchkis sway bar for the rear. Now the understeer is not as crazy, and I can get the tail to step out in wet conditions easily.
Dry pavement is where the slight understeer will show itself when pushed hard.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:44 PM
Cloud City

Thanks for the replies guys, it is very insightful. I had not considered the role of the suspension in all of this, and now thinking about it more carefully, it makes a lot of sense. I think a rear sway upgrade is in my future...

I know there are a number of differences between the G system (ATTESA-ETS) and the GTR (ATTESA-ETS PRO), but re-reading some of the info one item jumps out at me now: Where ATTESA-E-TS controls the front to rear torque-split, the Pro is also capable of left-and-right torque split to the rear wheels. This is done via an active rear limited-slip differential. I suspect this additional left/right split (AKA torque-vectoring, right?) is the magic that I'm missing from previous AWD experience.

Fortunately I didn't buy the G to pursue my WRC career, and overall I'm happy with the RWD bias and having ATTESA keep me out of trouble and make the rainy commutes drama-free. But...do you guys think the rear sway will do it? I don't want to start "chasing the dragon" looking to re-create that time I had a WRX sideways climbing a hill with the turbo boiling away...I still get a little chubby thinking about that....
Old 03-12-2015, 08:51 PM
G37Xtreme

Originally Posted by VQ-Vic
I didn't like how the AWD's suspension was set up.
just like oewoko.

An easy fix for me is I bought just rear Hotchkis sway bar for the rear. Now the understeer is not as crazy, and I can get the tail to step out in wet conditions easily.
Dry pavement is where the slight understeer will show itself when pushed hard.
I'm going to be switching my end links soon, and when I do, I'll try changing up my Hotchkis' settings.

I just went with what everyone recommends, stiffest in front, and middle in the rear.

Should I try weakest in front and stiffest in rear?
Old 03-13-2015, 03:39 PM
Flakman
Registered Member

^ I saw a thread somewhere where someone did some analysis regarding front sway vs rear sway as well as how how other items affected understeer and handling. Was a very informative write up. If I can find it I'll post the link.
Old 03-15-2015, 12:08 AM
Flakman
Registered Member

Nevermind. It was about strut bars.

Thread: https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...strut-bar.html
Old 03-16-2015, 01:14 PM
Cloud City

Thanks Flakman, interesting that in a strut bar thread they identify sway bars as a better investment for improving handling on a dollar for dollar basis.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:35 PM
txg37x

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
It's no doubt that sways are a better mod than a strut bar. I was the OP in the above link. Strut bar felt like it added something, but it could still be within the realm of placebo effect. Sway bars make a very noticeable difference. As almost all people on here say, sways are the best bang for the buck. With the right setting you can balance out the understeer and get the rear to kick out on command. Lowering springs are second in my opinion.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:24 AM
Blooeyz
Registered Member

Interesting...
We had a ton of snow in the NE this year, so I got to play with the AWD and was disappointed. The car really gives the impression that it's technologically advanced, but my old Audi was much better.
The G37x is a fun ride and I never worried about getting stuck, but I did spin out on while accelerating up a curving hill to my house. That would never happen with Quattro
Old 03-17-2015, 08:22 AM
G37Xtreme

Originally Posted by Blooeyz
The G37x is a fun ride and I never worried about getting stuck, but I did spin out on while accelerating up a curving hill to my house. That would never happen with Quattro
There's always a trade off. You lose the RWD bias when you get a Quattro.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:40 AM
RavensMinded00
Registered Member

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts
Honestly, I've owned my car for a few years now and it's hard to tell the G37x is anything but a RWD vehicle, to me. I have driven in every condition possible and have always felt like I had to treat the car like you do a traditional RWD vehicle. I originally bought the X because I wanted that added feel of security but alas it's not what was expected (Evo, WRX, Quattro) type of mechanical AWD system.

I have had front and rear Hotchkiss sways for a few years and that has added to the overall cornering ability of the car but has also added to the rigidity you don't want when the tires slip or hydroplane. With that said, having driven those other type of AWD systems, you don't have the type of fun with those like you do with a RWD biased AWD system. With the traction control off I can play wag the tail as long as the power band will allow me without the interference of the typical mechanical AWD system.

It's really a drivers preference. If you want a full time AWD feel, the X really isn't for you. It still requires a driver with some know how to control the pedals and steering wheel at certain moments.

My 2 cents.
The following users liked this post:
ANMVQ (03-19-2015)
Old 03-19-2015, 12:42 AM
RavensMinded00
Registered Member

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts
Additionally, as many times as I've had my car slide, drift and squirm in incliment weather, I can't ever recall seeing the "AWD" dash light ever illuminate. Don't know if that means the AWD is kicking in or not, but it does light up when you start the car initially.

Quick Reply: ATTESA driving tips discussion