Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Help! Car won't go past 4K RPM

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 06:01 PM
mcheema

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I currently drive an 08 G37S coupe and have a very similar problem but it started after the dealership upgraded the ECU, I originally went for a battery change and the dealership offered to update the ECU as well to fix a problem where I'd turn the car on and the RPM would go up then drop so low the car would turn off. I also have the problem with VDC/ slip light coming on when accelerating too fast.

At the moment I'm running Injen short rams not sure if this is causing the problems but Infiniti ensured me the computer update would fix the start up problem which seems to be fixed and now I have a similar problem to yours.

Do you happen to have any engine codes displaying because when I used a code reader it came up empty on my scan except the first time the problem occured which was related to the air to fuel ratio I think I'll try finding the exact code but I had no engine light on dash and only found it with OBD scanner. The first time my car went into limp mode on the highway it was very cold outside and after I accelerated immediately to 140km/h the car went into limp mode and I had to pull over and turn the car off then turn it back on while hitting the accelerator a bit (same thing I was doing before the computer update to avoid RPMs dropping low and the car turning off.)

I feel it could be a few things:
throttle body needs cleaning
possible air leak between the intake and air flow sensor
broken air flow sensor
problem with intakes

I'm planning on checking these areas before taking the plunge and looking into the timing chain cover gasket or sprockets but if the timing chain cover gasket or sprockets was the problem would an engine light not appear on the dash board or at least be stored within the ECU?

I'll post back once I look into the above but so far I've gone around 300km without the car going into limp mode and it only seems to happen on the highway if I keep pressing and letting go of the pedal. My cousin told me he had a similar problem with another car and it was due to the mass air flow sensor and maintaining a steady foot on pedal might help avoid this happening but it definitely isn't a fix to the problem.

Also is your car still stuck at 4k RPM or does it come and go like the problem I listed because if it's still throwing out P0021, my friend had a similar issue with his 2010 G37S manual and the dealership was able to fix it but he didn't have your other code. Sorry if my post doesn't help just trying to help us both out and possibly find a solution, I'll ask him what the dealership did to fix his car tomorrow but I remember I was with him and it started jerking and was stuck in limp mode right after moving from a red light.

Last edited by mcheema; 03-14-2015 at 06:12 PM.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:01 PM
Ricio1991
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 102 Posts
I have a question what did they say about the slip light when accelerating mind does it as well I have a 6 speed 08 G37s my idle was going up and down as well but haven't noticed it lately. Would u happen to know if the dealer said the ECU update will help it. I already got my brakes and thy said they were all fine and my throttle body as well and the shop said it was clean I'm looking for a solution on the slip since I'm having the same problem. Apologize for not being able to answer the question but I'm in for the suggestions