Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

First dead battery in 6 months of ownership of 2009 G37x

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 12:36 PM
bartlett

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First dead battery in 6 months of ownership of 2009 G37x

Last night, I vacuumed my car and floormats. So I had it in the garage, going in and out, etc. Didn't turn on the dome lights.

Anyways, I go to leave to work this morning, and here is what I get: a dead car, and the red light in the dash that is shaped like a car with a key in it blinking rapidly with a "click".

I push the Engine Start button, and nothing. I try a 2nd fob, nothing. I put the fob in the manual port beneath the dash, nothing.

I don't recall doing anything last night to drain the battery, or if that is even possible in this car. No idea if it would shut off automatically when the fob is out of range.

Regardless, after looking around the car, I tried putting a charger on it. It wouldn't turn on the lights at 2amps, but at 10amps it would. Tried starting it with the "car start" setting on the charger, and the engine clicked a bunch but didn't start. Probably shouldn't have tried that.

So I have it back on the 10amp charge for now. The dash and lights do come on. Probably will leave it for an hour and switch it to 2amps, and then give it an hour or 2 more and try to start it.

Any ideas on what could have caused this drain? Or if it even was a drain? I am 100% certain I didn't turn on dome lights. I scheduled a dealer service appt for monday which is routine, and I figure I'll have it all checked, provided the car starts today. But as this is my first time with this issue in this car, I am curious if there is anything I should know. With the way the ignition works with the button, and the way the computer controls it, I am not sure if this is different than a regular, key operated ignition.

Thanks
Old 10-03-2014, 01:35 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Its an 09 man, Time for a new one, I just replaced mine a month ago on my 09, Bought it in March this year.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:45 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
What he said. It's probably last as long as can be expected depending on the load that's been put on it in the last 5 years or so.

Dealing with the dealership, you'll spend a ton of money if you're not under warranty. Get a good strong new battery and be worry free. If you get one for the M37 application it has a little bit stronger CCA rating.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:58 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
plus that and change it yourself , Should only take you 20 mins
Old 10-03-2014, 04:43 PM
GAWD

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
What do you mean you didn't turn the dome lights on?

You can set the overhead map reading lights to ON/OFF/DOOR, but when your doors are open (to vacuum), the other courtesy lights are on, just not the ones in the overhead console if set to OFF. The battery saver feature is suppose to kill these after a few minutes. Maybe it did, but the next door you open (and trunk) will reset the timer sequence. Kindly correct me if I am reading missing what you said.

Also, check the water level in your battery when its off the charger.
Old 10-03-2014, 05:13 PM
gimpy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ANMVQ
Its an 09 man, Time for a new one, I just replaced mine a month ago on my 09, Bought it in March this year.
I have to agree. My 09 G had the problem so many members have complained about, about 2 years ago. The dealer replaced the 550 cca battery that came in the car with the biggest one they had at the shop which was 720 or 750cca. Have not had a problem since, of course my car was still under warranty. If you have to buy an battery on your own go for a bigger one. They installed kind of puny capacity batteries from the factory.
Old 10-05-2014, 03:05 AM
PongSanity

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts
Get a new battery or put it on a slow charge. My car is basically a garage queen and today after a month I had to clutch start. Battery not even two years old.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:46 AM
Dough1397
Registered Member

Received 62 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by PongSanity
Get a new battery or put it on a slow charge. My car is basically a garage queen and today after a month I had to clutch start. Battery not even two years old.
Just a heads up, there is a page in the manual that specifically says do not pop the clutch to get this car started.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:51 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by Dough1397
Just a heads up, there is a page in the manual that specifically says do not pop the clutch to get this car started.
Every maual transmission car ever made says this. Feel free to ignore it and push start the car if you need to, like people have been doing for decades.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:06 AM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
Every maual transmission car ever made says this. Feel free to ignore it and push start the car if you need to, like people have been doing for decades.
That was how I got my old 69 VW Beedle started in Stowe Vermont many years ago with the early morning temperature at forty below zero. A group of other skiers just gave me a quick push and popping the clutch in second gear she started right up.
It was so cold the starter just groaned.

Telcoman