Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

VLSD on AWD G

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 01:37 AM
hechen507
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryne
(The reason AWD owners cannot run tires with an excessive amount of diameter difference is due to the AWD system detecting "slip". This will be a similar experience when the VLSD allows the rear wheels to turn at different speeds. The car's computer will not necessarily be able to differentiate good slip (VLSD operating around a corner) and bad slip (encountering an ice patch on one wheel). Both cases would be expected to trigger the car to respond with one of it's many systems such as VDC or transfer torque via the AWD system. This is the variable that doesn't seem to make complete sense to me.)
Yes, this is caused by the difference in front and rear rotation speed. Nothing to do with the rear or front diff, its all on the transfer case.

When you say VLSD allows "slip".. all differential allow slip, just some diff like VLSD, LSD (Limited slip differential), and electronic diff limit the amount of slip.
If you imagine a regular G37 RWD with a open diff. If one of the rear wheel is hanging off the ground without touching and the other wheel is touching the ground. All the power will go to the wheel that is off the ground. the VDC system detects slip, brakes the the wheel that is spinning freely, thus causing resistance, thus leading the car to spin the wheel that is on the ground.

Now apply this to AWD: Imagine if somehow one of the front tires and one of the rear tires are off the ground. If you have a regular G37x (w/ open diff) and you apply power how would the car react? Well first the transfer case will transfer the power to the rear, then it detects that the front and rear wheel speeds difference is greater than its calibration table, thus it sent some power to the front as well, since both the front and rear diff are open diff all the power will go to the wheels that are off the ground since the resistance is so low, the VDC detects this is and brakes the freely spinning wheels, thus the torque is transfer to the wheels that is on the ground. (idk what the priority of the system is. But I would guess it would activate the transfer case before it starts braking the loose wheel)

Now imagine the rear has a VLSD in a AWD system: If given the same scenario.
First the transfer case will transfer the power to the rear, the hanging wheel will spin (for very small amount of time), the fluid starts to heats up by the difference of the two sides, the VDC detect slip and start to apply power to the front, in which case before the front fully engages the both the rear tires are spinning due to the VLSD. The VDC will detect the slip is becoming smaller, it may or maybe activate the brakes depending on when it activates. If it activates early the wheels on the ground will start spinning earlier, if it activates later, the VLSD should be moving the wheels before the brakes kick in. Thus depending on the situation the VLSD could cause the brake not to activate when compared to the same situation with a open diff.
As you can see VLSD can only aid the VDC not harm it.

Can you think of a situation when the VLSD is opposing the VDC? I highly doubt it. At the end of the day "Active Brake LSD" and VLSD does the same job. Just one is fully mechanically controlled, while the other is electronically controlled. Although they both have their down sides.
Active Brake LSD wears out your brakes, heats up your brakes, Unpredictable; we do not know the full programming behind it (maybe in certain situations it is disabled or does not engage as much), thus we do not know how responsive the system is, how does it manage the amount of braking force, maybe it was design for only situations when the car is stuck, and its is also disabled with VDC off.
While the only down side to VLSD is the cost and installation if you don't already have it. Also in extreme cases the VLSD could wear out. In which case it acts as a open diff.

(A torque converter is a fluid coupling that takes the place of a mechanical clutch, so yes, I would consider these to be different.)
Call it what you will, the main concept is what matters. At the end of the day we are arguing over what the word "mechanical" means. Just from a engineering prospect fluid dynamics is a huge part of mechanical engineering.

(VLSD is more common in street cars because it is quiet and has a more progressive and predictable operation. I would not say it is the favored system in track cars though.)
I stated "Thus LSD is more popular in track, racing cars, and essential for drifting..."

(Without software intervention and the AWD system, not the case in the real world of the G.)
Addressed in earlier parts.

(That was actually the M37x, which shares the same ATTESA AWD system as the G.)
ATTESA is a architecture (much like different models using the same chassis). Just because the the Q60 comes with VLSD in their awd sport doesn't mean the G37 does too. In fact different features can be easily deactivated, or not included (this could explain why the diff are so easily interchangeable). Much like some engines are detuned from their more expensive brothers or how some models have better exhaust. At the end of the day, I have never heard of anyone saying any G37x has VLSD out of the factory. You can check eBay used parts, different infiniti parts dealers, etc. Never seen such a thing. The only definitive way to know is having infiniti credible information that specifically states the G37x has VLSD. Or as posted above a simple test to see if a G37Xs has VLSD.

Last edited by hechen507; 09-13-2014 at 01:46 AM.
Old 09-13-2014, 02:45 AM
HoldmyMouse

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts
I'm not getting Ryne's view on "VLSD allows the rear wheels to turn at different speeds" comment. All differentials (except lockers) are supposed to allow wheels to turn at different speed (to certain degree) hence the name. Regardless of any configurations, G37x, G37s or G37xs will all have wheels turning at different speeds.

In a nutshell... basically with the VLSD, the AWD computer is only monitoring "3" wheels instead of all 4 because the rears will either not slip or both slip together. And by slip I mean rapid speed change between the wheels and not just turning at a slightly different ratio.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:28 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 320 Likes on 277 Posts
Originally Posted by hechen507

If you have a 3 bolt flange diff you can only use another 3 bolt flange diff without changing the drive shaft.
I know this is an old but I was hoping the OP or someone who has done this could clarify this last statement. OP did you get a different drive shaft?

I thought the whole point of the "secret" modification (i.e. swapping the flange and cutting down the guide) was so that you could mate the VLSD with the 4 or 6 bolt drive shaft.

I think I was following along with everything the OP was saying except this last statement

Did the OP mean to say

" If you have a 3 bolt flange diff you can only use another 3 bolt flange diff without changing the drive shaft unless you do the flange/centering pin swap/mod"?
Old 11-08-2015, 12:11 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 320 Likes on 277 Posts
^ anyone?
Old 10-05-2017, 09:11 AM
Mattlorentzoe
Premier Member

Received 156 Likes on 119 Posts
Sorry to dig up old thread but I have a question.

How do I swap successfully 3.9/4.08 final gear ratio into my x?
Nobody makes a front one made for g37x?
I think the rear is same a g37 rwd but what do I need to make front the 3.9/4.08 or something
Old 04-08-2018, 10:36 AM
xscoupe1985
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lorentzoe45
Sorry to dig up old thread but I have a question.

How do I swap successfully 3.9/4.08 final gear ratio into my x?
Nobody makes a front one made for g37x?
I think the rear is same a g37 rwd but what do I need to make front the 3.9/4.08 or something
As of now, no, you cannot. Nobody makes gears for the front. It sucks cuz I wanna do 3.69 gears. And as far as someone saying that no X came with lsd factory, the Xs coupe has LSD in the rear, the sedan Xs does not
Old 05-26-2018, 10:26 AM
Mattlorentzoe
Premier Member

Originally Posted by xscoupe1985
As of now, no, you cannot. Nobody makes gears for the front. It sucks cuz I wanna do 3.69 gears. And as far as someone saying that no X came with lsd factory, the Xs coupe has LSD in the rear, the sedan Xs does not

Finally pulled the plug on this for my x sedan. Building trans now, was going to change to one piece driveshaft but I’m instead spending that money on this. I was told by Justin at royalty performance that he will make it happen. So just swapping from 3.35 to 3.69. Hopefully it’s worth it, he said it will make a huge difference and really wake up this high stalled automatic awd car. Should be good fun.
Old 06-25-2018, 04:08 PM
xscoupe1985
Registered Member

Originally Posted by lorentzoe45

Finally pulled the plug on this for my x sedan. Building trans now, was going to change to one piece driveshaft but I’m instead spending that money on this. I was told by Justin at royalty performance that he will make it happen. So just swapping from 3.35 to 3.69. Hopefully it’s worth it, he said it will make a huge difference and really wake up this high stalled automatic awd car. Should be good fun.
from what ive been told, we can swap in the front and rear diffs from the g35x, which are 3.69, since they have diff gear ratios due to being a 5at. if this is true, im seriously contemplating doing this at some point... either way, when youre done, let us know what was involved and how it went, and the cost if you are comfortable sharing that info.
Old 06-26-2018, 11:18 AM
zer099
Premier Member

Received 91 Likes on 63 Posts
Price depend on the labor in your area and the price you get the diffs for. Front labor should only be two to three hours at worst. I've posted the information on which front diffs one can use multiple times. The list includes most AWD HRs (as in VQ35HR not DE engines) with 3.692 gears. You can also confirm your gears by physically turning the input and counting the output spins (should be 3.962 turns of output for every 1 turn of input) and by looking at the door ID car of the donor diffs: the AXLE code should be RC36. Take my advice: confirm you got the correct part. I recommend replacing the seals on your diffs for cheap insurance while they are both out. There is tons of info about swapping out the rear, and our car (the X) is no different there. Front will need to pull the engine, or easier just drop it a couple inches and wiggle her out. Be prepared for 1st and 2nd to be short as hell.

Reference posts:
3.357 vs 3.692 RPM and MPH compare

Original swap information post
Old 11-27-2018, 02:38 PM
Mattlorentzoe
Premier Member

So just wanted to share my experience with my results of the last year. So, yes it’s possible and highly recommended. No issues for over a year. Vlsd made the car handle like a dream.
Heres what you need to swap to 3.69 gears in your x sedans.

-2008 g35 rwd (vlsd) rear diff (out of manual w/ 4 bolt flange) ($200 or so on eBay)
-2008 g35x front diff ($150-200 on eBay)
-z1 rear diff kit w/ fluid ($250)
-Whiteline bushings (included with z1 diff kit)
-bell raceworks diff brace ($130)
-custom rear driveshaft ($600)
-z1 subframe collars while your there ($100)
The following users liked this post:
afrayedknot (04-15-2019)
Old 11-27-2018, 08:16 PM
The Pope
Registered Member

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts
Interesting......

Thanks!
Mattlorentzoe (08-12-2019)
Old 08-11-2019, 10:57 PM
pjmjr508
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mattlorentzoe

So just wanted to share my experience with my results of the last year. So, yes it’s possible and highly recommended. No issues for over a year. Vlsd made the car handle like a dream.
Heres what you need to swap to 3.69 gears in your x sedans.

-2008 g35 rwd (vlsd) rear diff (out of manual w/ 4 bolt flange) ($200 or so on eBay)
-2008 g35x front diff ($150-200 on eBay)
-z1 rear diff kit w/ fluid ($250)
-Whiteline bushings (included with z1 diff kit)
-bell raceworks diff brace ($130)
-custom rear driveshaft ($600)
-z1 subframe collars while your there ($100)

Hello,

Great info,

Have you driven the G in heavy rain or snow, if so how did it do? Other articles I have read on this stated once in snow or heavy rain it unstable, you do not feel this way with your setup with the VLSD & gear change to 3.69 on yours?

Old 08-12-2019, 09:00 AM
Mattlorentzoe
Premier Member

I feel completely in control at all times of the car. Successfully driving or not in snow/rain is more dependent on the tire(my experience based on 5 years of driving this car in all weather). My car would do terrible in snow, and I would slow down a lot in the rain with current tire setup.!
It’s extremely predictable. Only time the vlsd doesn’t do its job is sometimes on track it becomes “less sticky” and feels more “open diff” around turns.

Never done that to me on the street, just during heavy track abuse. No issues other than that! The vlsd swap in the awd cars really helps them compete the the others in the straights or the curves

Originally Posted by pjmjr508
Hello,

Great info,

Have you driven the G in heavy rain or snow, if so how did it do? Other articles I have read on this stated once in snow or heavy rain it unstable, you do not feel this way with your setup with the VLSD & gear change to 3.69 on yours?
Yeed (07-03-2020)
Old 08-12-2019, 09:01 AM
Mattlorentzoe
Premier Member

Originally Posted by The Pope
Interesting......

Thanks!
Still no issues!!!!
Yeed (07-03-2020)
Old 05-08-2022, 10:19 PM
Whitegslut253
Registered Member

So i have a 2013 g37 journey sedan 7spd auto open diff right? Can i swap in a vlsd? How would i go about this?

Quick Reply: VLSD on AWD G