Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

UpRev question

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 02:13 PM
Mantis
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
UpRev question

Found a place locally that just started doing UpRev tunes. $670.00, ($770 w/ dyno), 1 map only, "we use our own maps for your tune". Does this sound fishy or what? I'm under the impression UpRev has it's own maps that come with each license. can' t you fit 5 maps on that ECU? I'm not too familiar with tuning so maybe I'm completely lost here....
Old 04-22-2014, 02:26 PM
Lt8Che
'Cuz Racemod-erator

Received 316 Likes on 204 Posts
UpRev is the tuning software but any shop with multiple licenses can do their own tunes. Most people prefer the custom tune that a shop will provide (as long as the tuner knows what they're doing).
The following users liked this post:
Mantis (04-22-2014)
Old 04-22-2014, 02:39 PM
Mantis
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Lt8Che
UpRev is the tuning software but any shop with multiple licenses can do their own tunes. Most people prefer the custom tune that a shop will provide (as long as the tuner knows what they're doing).
Thank you for clearing that up. I still like the idea of multiple maps though, cycling through 'tuned', stock, valet, security, etc. Wonder if i can convince them to toss those in.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:55 PM
Choman
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
They should be able to. I have 4 maps that I can cycle through which includes the ones you mentioned above. Also go check the Uprev site as they have a list of tuners who are approved to tune with Uprev.
Mantis (04-22-2014)
Old 04-22-2014, 03:28 PM
G37Some

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
I got mine done about 2-3 weeks ago. Cost $595 + tax so came to about $625. I got :
*increased rev limit to 8k
1) performance map
2) valet map - limited to 3k rmps and 30mph
3) no-start map (self explanatory) useful for vacations if you park your car on the street or in public

You can do up to 5 maps but not really all that useful. I inquired about an "eco" map for when I take road trips. They actually talked me out of it, explaining I might only get about 5 extra mpg and that if I ever forgot to switch out of eco or accidentally switched into eco - If i floored it i could do some serious damage to the engine... heat and some other stuff, i forget the details but i figured i would just skip on it.

The tune was successful though I still get about 20-22 mpg highway and I gained 15-16 hp from the tune alone!

pretty sure the license for a first time buyer is 500$ and then about 1 to 1.5 hours of labor for the tuner to work the car and customize your tune, depending on how many pulls you want to get to adjust settings and how long you wait in between for the car to cool down.

Additional tunes/license use in the future is like $100 im pretty sure.

Last edited by G37Some; 04-22-2014 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:05 PM
kilya

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If they are saying that they are just going to load a map and send you off then choose another shop.

A proper tuner shop will use their own base map to start... they will then run your car on the dyno adjusting variables for best performance/safety. Once they have pushed the car to its peak numbers while still being safe they will leave that map on the car.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:10 PM
conkus805
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Mantis
Found a place locally that just started doing UpRev tunes. $670.00, ($770 w/ dyno), 1 map only, "we use our own maps for your tune". Does this sound fishy or what? I'm under the impression UpRev has it's own maps that come with each license. can' t you fit 5 maps on that ECU? I'm not too familiar with tuning so maybe I'm completely lost here....
I would try to find another place to get a quote from, if there is any other shop you can go to. I personally don't like shops that tell you "we only do it this way" when the customer is the one forking over the money. Shops that give you options and ask what your trying to accomplish with your car are the ones you want to do business with. I know it's just my opinion, but you should really have the choice to have 5 maps or 4 or 3 or whatever you want. Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:37 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by kilya
If they are saying that they are just going to load a map and send you off then choose another shop.

A proper tuner shop will use their own base map to start... they will then run your car on the dyno adjusting variables for best performance/safety. Once they have pushed the car to its peak numbers while still being safe they will leave that map on the car.
I'd stay away from them. If you want just one tune go with the ECUTek tune. It's only one map but has more variables that can be modified. The beauty of the Uprev platform is the different map selections, IMO. I have two maps built into one with an extra two maps (valet, security). The primary map is economy until 45% throttle input then it switches into performance... I've had nothing but satisfaction with my Uprev tune. I'd find a different shop, especially if they just started out using the Uprev platform.

As stated ^^^ the Uprev tune that is loaded into the ECU is just a Base that they modify for each individual vehicle. It's not a one size fits all situation. Thats a little expensive as well. I spent $550 + tax totaling $586 out the door. My G had 7 pulls total on the Mustang Dyno.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...ne-review.html

This^^^ is my review. Take a second to read it and watch the video.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:32 AM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by G37Some
I got mine done about 2-3 weeks ago. Cost $595 + tax so came to about $625. I got :
1) performance map
2) valet map - limited to 3k rmps and 30mph
3) no-start map (self explanatory) useful for vacations if you park your car on the street or in public

You can do up to 5 maps but not really all that useful. I inquired about an "eco" map for when I take road trips. They actually talked me out of it, explaining I might only get about 5 extra mpg and that if I ever forgot to switch out of eco or accidentally switched into eco - If i floored it i could do some serious damage to the engine... heat and some other stuff, i forget the details but i figured i would just skip on it.

The tune was successful though I still get about 20-22 mpg highway and I gained 15-16 hp from the tune alone!

pretty sure the license for a first time buyer is 500$ and then about 1 to 1.5 hours of labor for the tuner to work the car and customize your tune, depending on how many pulls you want to get to adjust settings and how long you wait in between for the car to cool down.

Additional tunes/license use in the future is like $100 im pretty sure.
Once you're tuned, any tweaks are just labor time, and dyne pull charges for the tuner.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:02 PM
malady

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I would shop around.

I was able to get mine for 500 w/ 5 dyno runs and 2 maps
Old 04-23-2014, 09:58 PM
Mantis
Registered Member

Thanks for all the advice! I decided to go with this guy. He is an official "UpRev Pro Tuner" according to the UpRev webiste, and I talked him into giving me 4 maps for the same price. I feel the price overall is on the high side, but the next nearest place is 200 miles away. Yay for living in the midwest!
Old 04-24-2014, 01:09 AM
Synolimit

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by G37Some
You will 100% blow that motor if you use that.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:16 AM
Synolimit

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Mantis
Thanks for all the advice! I decided to go with this guy. He is an official "UpRev Pro Tuner" according to the UpRev webiste, and I talked him into giving me 4 maps for the same price. I feel the price overall is on the high side, but the next nearest place is 200 miles away. Yay for living in the midwest!
Where in michigan? IPS in columbus ohio can save you money if you're willing to drive. I've never heard of such things in tuning. A tune is a tune is a tune! The price is always the same. A tuner should tune a car till it's done, period. If it takes 8 hours and 100 pulls or 1 hour and 1 pull. I've had both happen. I pay the tune price. IPS is about $500 for a Z/G since uprev makes you buy a lisence. Subis and evos are only $350-400 since rom raider is free to the public and tons of people donate to the cause and hack the ecu's and get the definitions defined. Just a FYI for you since you're close.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:23 AM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by Synolimit
You will 100% blow that motor if you use that.
I'm 100% sure you will not....... My Rev limitor is set @ 8500RPM with no speed governor. I "red-line" it through 1st, 2nd, & 3rd gears once a day pulling out of my sub division. I haven't had a problem yet.
enzo0706 (05-13-2014)
Old 04-24-2014, 12:28 PM
G37Some

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Yeah I had some concerns about it when my tuner mentioned increasing it. They specialize in G/Z and nissans in general for a long time. He reassured they have had cars running with even higher redlines near 8300 for hard track use and had no problem and the factory 7500 is very, very conservative and 8k is fine for a DD. Although, I've only hit that redline a couple times so far (had this tune only about 3 weeks), I usually like shifting around 6k when driving aggressively in the city since it sounds great, but most speed limits are 40mph

Last edited by G37Some; 04-24-2014 at 12:39 PM.

Quick Reply: UpRev question