Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Mocal or Setrab

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 02:26 PM
Vance67

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Mocal or Setrab

So I have searched the forum and found some good info on oil coolers.

I will be purchasing an oil cooler kit for Z1 Motorsports by the end of the week, I live in MA and do not go to the track...yet...although I will run a steady 100-130 on 93 N/S for about 30-45 minutes at a time. So I figured I might go with the 25 row kit, maybe the 19 to save money, but was really wondering if there is a big difference...or any difference between Mocal and Setrab. Right now I'm leaning towards Setrab, I don't want to skimp on anything, but do not want to spend more money than I have to.

Does anyone have any recommendations on size or Mocal Vs. Setrab?
Does anyone think the protective hose cover is needed? I know I need the thermostatic plate.

Thank you for your input and help

Oh, btw I have a 2010 G37S Coupe 6MT. No mods right now, but at the end of the month I will have a Gen 3, Fast Intentions RHFC's and this oil cooler installed.

Thank you again
Old 04-09-2014, 02:47 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
In your area if you are not FI or running long track sessions in hot temperatures I think an oil cooler might be unnecessary. I could be wrong. But I'd spend that money on something else first and get an oil cooler only if it turns out that you really need it. But maybe you like overkill like me.

That said, I have FI in my future and it's much hotter in TX than MA so I have one (Z1 Setrab 34 row) waiting for my turbo parts to arrive to be installed. Either of those brands are high quality and will do fine. Setrab will cost a little more. Wrapping the hoses looks cool and protects them a little. It's not necessary if you route them correctly and make sure they don't rub anywhere.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:57 PM
Vance67

Originally Posted by Black Betty
In your area if you are not FI or running long track sessions in hot temperatures I think an oil cooler might be unnecessary. I could be wrong. But I'd spend that money on something else first and get an oil cooler only if it turns out that you really need it. But maybe you like overkill like me.

That said, I have FI in my future and it's much hotter in TX than MA so I have one (Z1 Setrab 34 row) waiting for my turbo parts to arrive to be installed. Either of those brands are high quality and will do fine. Setrab will cost a little more. Wrapping the hoses looks cool and protects them a little. It's not necessary if you route them correctly and make sure they don't rub anywhere.
Thank you!

Ya it might be overkill. I want to hold onto this car forever, even if I have to replace engine, but that's why I'm doing this, to not only help with performance but longevity. I know a kid in my car group (NorthEast VQ) just got the GTM HD Oil Cooler because he noticed some sluggishness and I was already thinking about it so I thought I'd go for it.

So from what you said, if I want to do this, 25 maybe...a lot of overkill, Setrab and Mocal are both good (especially if I'm not tracking it) and the protective houses aren't needed and I guess if they are ever needed I could always add them later with that black plastic ribbed protector stuff too I guess. Just want to recap so I understand what you are saying. So, if I went with a 19 row Mocal, no protective wrap I should be good?

Is there something Setrab offers that Mocal does not? Just the name?
Old 04-09-2014, 03:02 PM
DPE G

Received 112 Likes on 73 Posts
A local to me had his mocal, spontaneously dump all his fluid out of the fins, luckily he caught it before he started it.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:07 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Sounds good to me! If you build a beast where that's not adequate, you can always upgrade just the core.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:10 PM
Vance67

Originally Posted by DPE G
A local to me had his mocal, spontaneously dump all his fluid out of the fins, luckily he caught it before he started it.
S**t, good to know, but dammit. Was happy to save the 45, but not at the cost of the engine
Old 04-09-2014, 03:11 PM
Vance67

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Sounds good to me! If you build a beast where that's not adequate, you can always upgrade just the core.

That's what I was figuring, but from what was just posted I may just go with the Setrab 19, $45 is not worth my engine. Like I said, I'll replace my engine in this car cause I want to hold onto it, but I don't want to have to do it anytime soon lol
Old 04-09-2014, 06:35 PM
Vance67

Bump...cause I need as much info as possible. Any other suggestions?
Old 04-09-2014, 06:39 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 750 Likes on 356 Posts
I just installed a Setrab, they're used in more supercars than any other brand. I'll spend a bit extra for that.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:43 PM
Vance67

Originally Posted by GoFightNguyen
I just installed a Setrab, they're used in more supercars than any other brand. I'll spend a bit extra for that.
That's what I figured and probably the way I'm going to go, i just research the s**t out of anything I'm going to do. It took me over a month to decide on the Gen 3 intake...and it doesn't even seem like there is much to research for the intakes.

I don't want to skimp on any part of my G, but especially not something like the oil cooler....a very essential part (not so much the cooler...but the oil)