Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Transmission go BOOM! Infiniti says becoming common

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 04:01 PM
SPDCRZ

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Transmission go BOOM! Infiniti says becoming common

Well,

Like it says, I had my tranny go boom and very quietly I was pulled aside and told it is becoming quite common for infiniti to have issues with the 7spd transmissions.

Sad to hear, as it has been a fun car. Saying that, ever since bran new I had issues with it. At first it lagged between 4 to 3 and then eventually slipped in all gears if going more then quarter throttle or above 4k rpms. Now I took it to the dealership and well... They took it for a test drive and blew it apart.

Needless to say, they are replacing it.

Sooo.. If any of you are having problems with your 7spds in any infiniti let them know! I had a new JX in getting a tranny replaced beside my car, and another g37x on its way in to do the same.

It may just be the AWD models too, not sure about the specifics. Just wanted to give everyone the heads up!
Old 03-31-2014, 04:10 PM
rlo
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Thats insane.
I know many people have reported lagging but that was due to faulty software , sounds like you had an actual bad transmission.
From my understanding the 7Spd auto is used in most of their auto models so if there is an actual a defect in design Infiniti will have a huge problem to deal with.

Glad they are giving you a new transmission.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:55 PM
markg37xs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=SPDCRZ

no issues here with my 09 g37xs sedan. also know of another owner same year awd sedan with twin turbos and put another 15k on the car and no tranny issues. sounds like u and some other people just had **** luck.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:06 AM
SPDCRZ

mark,

I actually had the service manager tell me its becoming quite common. Soo... lets hope its not tooo common. lol
Old 04-01-2014, 09:33 PM
KEG97
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
What were your symptoms? I'm worried about mine. I've had the latest software update but I still notice two major issues. First, the RPMS jump abt 1K on the 3rd to 4th gear change often. Second, it does lug from 5-15 MPG if I make a left/right hand turn onto a new street. It seems like the car is in the wrong gear and doesn't want to downshift.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:49 PM
rm2342

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Please provide more detail. Symptoms and was it one gear that blew in particular? Or was the torque converter?

Mine exhibits odd behavior at low rpms where it bogs in individual gears under throttle.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:08 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 178 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by SPDCRZ
Well,

Like it says, I had my tranny go boom and very quietly I was pulled aside and told it is becoming quite common for infiniti to have issues with the 7spd transmissions.

Sad to hear, as it has been a fun car. Saying that, ever since bran new I had issues with it. At first it lagged between 4 to 3 and then eventually slipped in all gears if going more then quarter throttle or above 4k rpms. Now I took it to the dealership and well... They took it for a test drive and blew it apart.

Needless to say, they are replacing it.

Sooo.. If any of you are having problems with your 7spds in any infiniti let them know! I had a new JX in getting a tranny replaced beside my car, and another g37x on its way in to do the same.

It may just be the AWD models too, not sure about the specifics. Just wanted to give everyone the heads up!
How many miles did you have on your car, SPD? I was starting to have the rpms jump by about 1,000 in third gear upon acceleration, and prior to shifting into 4th, but after I had the dealer do a transmission flush, it's not happening. I am at 85.5k miles.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:23 AM
SPDCRZ

Well Symptoms were as follows:

When I shift to manual downshifting in sport mode I had a large lag from 4th to 3rd and it also felt hard, not soft while going in to gear. (hard as in sharp quick downshift with clunk noise) That had been happening for at least 30,000km or more, then after being parked over winter I took it out and started to notice slipping under heavy throttle in higher gears (4 or 5th). After that it started to slip in every gear when going over 4500rmps. Then infiniti road tested it to try to get the transmission codes to come up and when they did they blew it apart and stranded it on the side of the hwy...

Being such a large community of Nissan/Infinities in my area, it took about 10 min to get messages coming to me saying we see you broke down on the hwy... then of course I called the dealership and they explained what happened.

Needless to say, kind of scary situation, and the dealership compensated me for my worries.
The following users liked this post:
twin_snails (04-04-2014)
Old 04-02-2014, 07:07 AM
KEG97
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
Interesting that many of us have the 1K RPM jump from 3rd to 4th and lugging upon throttle at low speeds. Is that a tranny issue or a tranny programming issue?

SPDCRZ- wow...glad the dealer is taking care of you.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:20 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
I'm surprised Infiniti's not blaming the SC
Old 04-02-2014, 08:51 AM
kilya

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by G37Sam
I'm surprised Infiniti's not blaming the SC
Yeah im with Sam. Auto tranny with all that extra power, youre not just going to burn a clutch in that situation like manual cars.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:20 AM
Byrdman
Don’t Buy From GTM/Gamma

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
I had issues with my 6 speed manual tranny...couldn't engage 5th gear w/o massive grinding so I took it to the dealership, mind u I have tons of mods, and they still replaced it under warranty. Fast forward 6 months and now I'm having issues with my 2nd gear...not sure what the deal is with Infiniti transmissions.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:26 AM
kilya

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How many miles Byrd?
Old 04-02-2014, 03:19 PM
Byrdman
Don’t Buy From GTM/Gamma

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
I just hit 28k, but I have like 1,700 miles on the new tranny. Might be time to go to the dealership again...On a good note they extended my drivetrain warranty bc of the tranny replacement 6 months ago.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:34 AM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 178 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by SPDCRZ
Well Symptoms were as follows:

When I shift to manual downshifting in sport mode I had a large lag from 4th to 3rd and it also felt hard, not soft while going in to gear. (hard as in sharp quick downshift with clunk noise) That had been happening for at least 30,000km or more, then after being parked over winter I took it out and started to notice slipping under heavy throttle in higher gears (4 or 5th). After that it started to slip in every gear when going over 4500rmps. Then infiniti road tested it to try to get the transmission codes to come up and when they did they blew it apart and stranded it on the side of the hwy...

Being such a large community of Nissan/Infinities in my area, it took about 10 min to get messages coming to me saying we see you broke down on the hwy... then of course I called the dealership and they explained what happened.

Needless to say, kind of scary situation, and the dealership compensated me for my worries.
Sheesh, well at least they took care of you. I tested mine tonight in 5th gear just to make sure I wasn't getting any slip or rpm jump and I didn't. It does seem that I get a little bit in 3rd to 4th but I'm not for certain because I don't know exactly what it looks like. Wonder if there's any youtube vids out there that show the tach needle sweeping the dial and the rpm jump..

Quick Reply: Transmission go BOOM! Infiniti says becoming common