Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Transmission go BOOM! Infiniti says becoming common

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 11:13 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
Originally Posted by ANMVQ
yes his car is. :/ Like I stated before I have no clue how he got that lucky to have it covered.
Apart from how he managed to get it covered, isn't it normal for a boosted G's 7AT to slip? With the extra grip he's got from an AWD it is bound to
Old 04-17-2014, 03:48 PM
SPDCRZ

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by G37Sam
Apart from how he managed to get it covered, isn't it normal for a boosted G's 7AT to slip? With the extra grip he's got from an AWD it is bound to
It would eventually slip maybe if pushed hard. BUT, with a bran new transmission with it slipping the same day out of the manufacture without any pushing the car AT ALL is not right... I babied it all the way home and barley made it up the hill.

I have known others to have their tranny replaced with it being SC, as they should since the dealer installs the Stillen SC kit under warranty.

Apparently the 5spds are much stronger then the 7spds. So they tell me now. I now need to see if the dealer can find a new car that matches mine so they ca pull the transmission software out of it and see if that fixes it. Hope it does... I may end of selling my G right away too while it works so I dont have to worry about any more issues. I cant afford all of this!
Old 04-17-2014, 05:12 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by SPDCRZ
It would eventually slip maybe if pushed hard. BUT, with a bran new transmission with it slipping the same day out of the manufacture without any pushing the car AT ALL is not right... I babied it all the way home and barley made it up the hill.

I have known others to have their tranny replaced with it being SC, as they should since the dealer installs the Stillen SC kit under warranty.

Apparently the 5spds are much stronger then the 7spds. So they tell me now. I now need to see if the dealer can find a new car that matches mine so they ca pull the transmission software out of it and see if that fixes it. Hope it does... I may end of selling my G right away too while it works so I dont have to worry about any more issues. I cant afford all of this!
So if we go back to the beginning of the thread, "issues with the 7AT are becoming quite common"....is that in the context of all 7AT or just those attached to a supercharged engine?

The fact that there doesnt seem to be many people on this (or other) forums talking about 7ATs being replaced makes me wonder if it was in the context of those that were supercharged. They have so many of the 7AT out there with so many different models, you'd figure we'd hear/read about it a lot more if it was that big an issue.

Factory warrantied or not, its an awful lot of power to be adding to a "weak" component (these arent exactly Porsche PDK transmissions here).
The following users liked this post:
twin_snails (09-08-2014)
Old 04-18-2014, 05:26 PM
SPDCRZ

Originally Posted by Chris11LE
So if we go back to the beginning of the thread, "issues with the 7AT are becoming quite common"....is that in the context of all 7AT or just those attached to a supercharged engine?

The fact that there doesnt seem to be many people on this (or other) forums talking about 7ATs being replaced makes me wonder if it was in the context of those that were supercharged. They have so many of the 7AT out there with so many different models, you'd figure we'd hear/read about it a lot more if it was that big an issue.

Factory warrantied or not, its an awful lot of power to be adding to a "weak" component (these arent exactly Porsche PDK transmissions here).
As mentioned at the beginning of the thread, I was not the only one who came in to have the tranny replaced while at the dealership. There were completely stock suv models and other g37's coming in with the same issues.

The transmission should hold the power if tuned correctly. Look at Uprev's information about this. It's more about how you drive the car that matters (as with any boosted vehicle)
Old 04-18-2014, 05:56 PM
egschear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A friend of mine is a long time service advisor at an Infiniti dealership here in Orange county. He's only seen one 7 speed that needed to be replaced and it was a QX 4wd model. They suspect it was stuck, and the owner was "rocking" it by shifting it from drive to reverse and vice versa. He also stated that mechanically the G37 is the most reliable model they have (according to Infiniti's own statistics).
Old 04-18-2014, 10:19 PM
KEG97
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
Just got my G back from the dealer. Dropped it off on Weds for several warranty issues. They checked my tranny and claim it just needed the software update to the 27 TSB. I thought they already updated me late last year, but I will admit the car is driving perfectly. I put 60 miles on it today and not one bad shift/questionable issue with the tranny.

Ironically, I had a Q50 for the past 2 days and one of the few things that I liked about it- how smooth the transmission was. Hopefully I've got that now in my G.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:04 PM
SPDCRZ

Hope I get my G back with shifts as smooth as the Q lol
Old 06-06-2014, 04:17 PM
scottp2765

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My 2011xS Sedan 7AT blew up at 24k

Well,

Like it says, I had my tranny go boom and very quietly I was pulled aside and told it is becoming quite common for infiniti to have issues with the 7spd transmissions.

Sad to hear, as it has been a fun car. Saying that, ever since bran new I had issues with it. At first it lagged between 4 to 3 and then eventually slipped in all gears if going more then quarter throttle or above 4k rpms. Now I took it to the dealership and well... They took it for a test drive and blew it apart.

Needless to say, they are replacing it.

Sooo.. If any of you are having problems with your 7spds in any infiniti let them know! I had a new JX in getting a tranny replaced beside my car, and another g37x on its way in to do the same.

It may just be the AWD models too, not sure about the specifics. Just wanted to give everyone the heads up!
Mine blew up and was replaced. Now the new one has a hard downshift into first every so often when cold.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:35 AM
SPDCRZ

Glad to hear yours is working. I am still having issues after the replacement.

I still have slippage with the transmission even when not under any substantial load.

If I keep in in D mode I go to limp mode almost instantly.

Sad... Even with a new transmission there is something wrong... Apparently I've been told it's electronic but I have also been told that it's not infinitis problem anymore... Sigh.. I am on month 4 of tranny problems now.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:23 PM
Zack342
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Byrdman
I just hit 28k, but I have like 1,700 miles on the new tranny. Might be time to go to the dealership again...On a good note they extended my drivetrain warranty bc of the tranny replacement 6 months ago.
Can you tell me more about them extending your drivetrain warranty? did you have to ask or did they just do it. my 6mt has 27k and i dropped it off last week for 5th gear engagement issues.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:30 PM
whiddles
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my tranny also blew 08 5at at 40K
Old 06-30-2014, 04:30 AM
G37sTT
Premier Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Second Tranny Went boom...

Yeah my 08 5at made it till late 40's when i took her in for a retune and addressing some issues and was told she was slipping on the dyno..so we sent it off had it "performance built" got it back in an all was good for another maybe 2k miles,(almost 2 years ) but still only 2 -3 k on the tranny,and that was for the most part babied,never brake boosted or even launched hard and only played with the paddles every so often..well last week it just gave me weird issues, putting it into reverse an getting nothing...not shifting ect ect..well i get her to my mech and ...Yup Tranny's toast...So i did the Smart thing and called Level 10 for their Bulletproof...Should be Headed back my way by the end of the week nice an strong with a good dose of east coast loving ready to enjoy my Az Summer Nights (only time worth going out lol).....the stock auto held under 520hp or so but the second "built" tranny only had 460whpish going to her,if what i've read is true with the bulletproof build she should be able to handle all the hp ima throw at her as a DD.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:05 AM
SPDCRZ

Well some news, not sure if everyone heard. I now have my tranny working well again. It was just the reflash and tuning that was needed to keep it from slipping. They upped the line pressure in the new transmission and all is good for now.

buying a house later this year, so saving up for that. After that, a fully built transmission is on my mind.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:59 PM
kluthage421
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
I just had my 7AT flushed at a local Nissan dealer for $185 after 15% military discount. My car has 30,785. They went through 3 gallons of AT fluid in the process. The car shifts smoother now and I barely notice the shifts. I found myself having to look at the gear indicator in manual mode to see if it even shifted. It wasn't rough before, but not as smooth as it should of been. Follow the G37 premium/severe maintenance intervals and the car should last forever.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:13 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Well some news, not sure if everyone heard. I now have my tranny working well again. It was just the reflash and tuning that was needed to keep it from slipping. They upped the line pressure in the new transmission and all is good for now.

buying a house later this year, so saving up for that. After that, a fully built transmission is on my mind.

Glad that worked had a feeling that's all it was1

Quick Reply: Transmission go BOOM! Infiniti says becoming common