Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Transmission go BOOM! Infiniti says becoming common

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 10:47 PM
gsm026
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Well maintained? The 7AT doesn't even have a dipstick.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:27 AM
egschear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whoever claimed a failure rate of 1 in 10 is on crack. That would be instant recall territory. My '13 has (in my opinion) an excellent transmission. It doesn't hunt for gears, shift harshly, or any of that. The only annoying thing is the 1-2 upshift in manual mode definitely feels slushy compared to a good dual clutch transmission. All of the other upshifts are nice and snappy.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:05 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by gsm026
Well maintained? The 7AT doesn't even have a dipstick.
Was gonna say, its hard to maintain something that Nissan insists is a "lifetime" part.

Im not sure how often they spec changing the transmission fluid, but after my experiences with Honda/Acura, I would cut their number in half. its an expensive proposition for the 7AT since it needs 'special procedures' to drain and refill, but in the long run it might be worth getting it changed more often than the manual recommends.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:23 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
They suggest you change the tranny fluid at 60k I just did mine ( 58k). But did the whole 60k service. This that sux is you HAVE to go to the dealer for that service. because its sealed :/
Old 04-11-2014, 09:18 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ANMVQ
They suggest you change the tranny fluid at 60k I just did mine ( 58k). But did the whole 60k service. This that sux is you HAVE to go to the dealer for that service. because its sealed :/
The FSM shows the process, it can be done without dealer intervention but its not easy (I think you need to put the transmission case under vacuum to "suck out" the fluid)

I thought I read the cost at dealer for the fluid change was upwards of $600.00 but I could be wrong....if you dont mind my asking, how much did they bang you for? Did the car act any different after the fluid change?
Old 04-11-2014, 09:49 AM
jpg37
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The owner's manual states at 60,000 miles to "Replace automatic transmission fluid (except 7-speed automatic transmission)". No where in the Service and Maintenance Guided does it state to change the 7AT fluid. Just an FYI
Old 04-11-2014, 01:48 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 178 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris11LE
The FSM shows the process, it can be done without dealer intervention but its not easy (I think you need to put the transmission case under vacuum to "suck out" the fluid)

I thought I read the cost at dealer for the fluid change was upwards of $600.00 but I could be wrong....if you dont mind my asking, how much did they bang you for? Did the car act any different after the fluid change?
I just had mine done two weeks ago. Full flush, drain and fill with Nissan Matic S for $219. I think that's really reasonable given the difficulty of the procedure involved.

I was at 85k miles and that was my first 7AT flush. I've had no issues at all. Going to do the rear diff again in the next few weeks and fill with Amsoil.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:38 PM
SPDCRZ

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
I had my fluids changed at 35,000 on my 7at and now again at 63,000km. But I guess when a whole new tranny is thrown in. I start from 0km again lol.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:15 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Originally Posted by twin_snails
I just had mine done two weeks ago. Full flush, drain and fill with Nissan Matic S for $219. I think that's really reasonable given the difficulty of the procedure involved.

I was at 85k miles and that was my first 7AT flush. I've had no issues at all. Going to do the rear diff again in the next few weeks and fill with Amsoil.
$219 isnt bad at all, Id pay that. Ive paid $100.00 at a local transmission shop for the drain/refill on my Frontier, so $219 for something that actually looks like work is worth it.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:01 PM
SPDCRZ

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
UPDATE:

Had a new transmission installed last Thursday... Went to go take it in for a tune finally... on the way to the tune, the new Transmission started to slip... Very confusing by everyone, including infiniti!

What we are going to try is to install the transmission software from another G that has the same options from the factory and see if that fixes the issue. Hope so, because the chances of me getting 2 transmissions under warranty is 0% probably.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:25 PM
Byrdman
Don’t Buy From GTM/Gamma

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by SPDCRZ
UPDATE:

Had a new transmission installed last Thursday... Went to go take it in for a tune finally... on the way to the tune, the new Transmission started to slip... Very confusing by everyone, including infiniti!

What we are going to try is to install the transmission software from another G that has the same options from the factory and see if that fixes the issue. Hope so, because the chances of me getting 2 transmissions under warranty is 0% probably.
My buddy had 2 trannys replaced; when his 3rd crapped out on him the dealership upgraded him to a newer year 370z for free because of the inconvenience.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:08 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 178 Likes on 117 Posts
UPDATE:

Yikes! That is definitely disconcerting to hear that. A brand new trans should definitely not slip. I'm beginning to wonder if there are some design flawas in the Jatco 7AT. Jatco is Nissan's spinoff trans maker and they're using this 7AT in the entire Infiniti product line so I hope they'll focus on refinements and perhaps adding a cog or two that would give us a taller top gear for those of us that do a lot of highway driving.

I hope they get you taken care of bro.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:13 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Originally Posted by twin_snails
Yikes! That is definitely disconcerting to hear that. A brand new trans should definitely not slip. I'm beginning to wonder if there are some design flawas in the Jatco 7AT. Jatco is Nissan's spinoff trans maker and they're using this 7AT in the entire Infiniti product line so I hope they'll focus on refinements and perhaps adding a cog or two that would give us a taller top gear for those of us that do a lot of highway driving.

I hope they get you taken care of bro.
I dont think Jatco is just Nissans...Honda uses them too. Its actually short for Japanese Automatic Transmission Company.

2 slipping transmissions in a row, makes you start to wonder if there is something inherent to the car thats causing it (s/w, etc).

Jatco makes some decent transmissions and they make some bad ones, but I think all they do is build to the manufacturers design (they built the infamous 2000-2003 V6 Honda/Acura transmissions to Honda's design that cant hold up worth a poop).
The following users liked this post:
twin_snails (09-08-2014)
Old 04-17-2014, 08:43 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
UPDATE:

It was ignored the first time I posted so I'll ask again. Isn't your car supercharged?
Old 04-17-2014, 10:13 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Originally Posted by G37Sam
It was ignored the first time I posted so I'll ask again. Isn't your car supercharged?

yes his car is. :/ Like I stated before I have no clue how he got that lucky to have it covered.

BTW I paid $ 189 for my fluid change..

Quick Reply: Transmission go BOOM! Infiniti says becoming common